PDA

View Full Version : What 'alternative' colour is your jacket ?

mandalea
Sep. 14, 2009, 06:33 AM
I know there is probably a gazillian of these threads, but who else has an 'alternative' coloured jacket ?

I just bought a navy herringbone that I can use for everything - it's still dark, and looks neat in the dressage ring, but is the required tweed I need for my Show Hunter classes (British, not American ones)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w222/mandaleacalico/windsor_jacket-1.jpg

Looks nice with my mustard waistcoat and navy tie :)

I've always wanted a tweed.

If I get a grey, I plan on getting a brown tweed with a brown velvet collar with a brown velvet helmet - seen quite a few of them at HT over here in Australia.

spaghetti legs
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:35 AM
someone here was obsessed with getting an "eggplant purple" jacket for dressage. Boy that was a fun thread.

Tif_Ann
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:35 AM
LOL well, can't say I won't be moving to eggplant in a couple of years. I've been doing the brown thing (chocolate brown coat, baby blue shirt and pad, even have brown tack - my show bridle has baby blue padding instead of white! - I ride a very load red roan overo spanish mustang) because I like to be slightly different and now that it's becoming trendy I'm irritated. :)

I also like moss green, but I think that might be a bit too light for dressage. So I'm planning on sticking with the brown for another year, and then switching to probably a deep purple or maybe the moss green. There's also a Pikeur jacket out there that is more of a cobalt blue with a baby blue lapel that I might switch to in the interim though.

Pony Fixer
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:41 PM
I have a grey jacket I just wore for the first time last weekend. Love it.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2846156230105549395UGyhfQ?vhost=pets

Ibex
Sep. 14, 2009, 03:47 PM
I wish. The rules up here actually specify "Black or Navy" at Gold/National shows. :sigh:

oharabear
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:39 PM
LOL well, can't say I won't be moving to eggplant in a couple of years. I've been doing the brown thing (chocolate brown coat, baby blue shirt and pad, even have brown tack - my show bridle has baby blue padding instead of white! - I ride a very load red roan overo spanish mustang) because I like to be slightly different and now that it's becoming trendy I'm irritated. :)

I also like moss green, but I think that might be a bit too light for dressage. So I'm planning on sticking with the brown for another year, and then switching to probably a deep purple or maybe the moss green. There's also a Pikeur jacket out there that is more of a cobalt blue with a baby blue lapel that I might switch to in the interim though.

Oooh post pics! I've been debating brown tack for the longest time as I think it looks smashing on my redheaded TB mare, but haven't been brave enough to try yet. :lol:

Brown Horse
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:20 PM
I have a navy pinstripe jacket and I wear tan breeches. I'm thinking about getting a champagne stock tie. I also have brown tack. I'm just a little rebel! haha, no...I just think champagne would look nice with navy!

J-Lu
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:01 PM
My show coat is a navy blue herringbone coat. I very much like it and I think it is a bit of a nice contrast from the sea of black coats. I have a friend who rides a very pretty dark bay paint horse with a forest green coat. She looks spectacular and has never had a comment other than "beautiful turnout"...although you could probably eat lunch off the croup of this horse because he is so phenomenally clean at shows...

Actually, I have never seen anyone penalized for clothing at a show. I have seen people ride with coats waived with purple dressage shirts, striped dressage shirts, and coats of many colors. Darker and conservative colors, but different colors nonetheless (brown, green, blue, etc). I have scribed in these situations and never heard the judge say anything except (I'll bet she didn't think coats would be waived").

Has anyone actually known of an official "clothing infraction"? Just curious.

J.

BayHorseUK
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:05 AM
Ooooh after so many years in strict black and white I've decided to go with a dark moss-green tweed with a subtle rust check. Its a luxury purchase and probably not-quite-right for dressage. But it goes so well with Chestnut and I WANT it!! I can get away with wearing it at lower level tests at smaller venues, plus use it in hunter and showing classes over here. It also looks awesome for a day out in town with suede boots and skinny jeans! I've decided I'm old enough now to wear what I want if it makes me happy. Paraphrasing the old Red Hat poem:

When I am an old woman, I shall wear an eggplant purple coat

with a burgundy troxel hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on blingy browbands and SSG gloves

and satin saddlepads, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the mounting block when I am tired

and forget every test I am riding and hear many ringing bells

and wave my whip at inconsiderate competitors

and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

But now we must have black clothes with white edges

and impress the judge and not swear during a test

and set a good example for the children.

But maybe I ought to practice dressage a little now?

So people who know me and my horse are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and we both start to wear purple.

mandalea
Sep. 15, 2009, 05:57 AM
I've always had brown tack :)

I had a navy pinstriped jacket with light blue pinstripes, but it was VERY old, and had MASSIVE shoulders. And it was to small after about 2 uses. So it had to go.

I LOVE my new one. I've never worn it though.

I wanted a green tweed, because I have a redhead, but the one I got was the first one I saw, was cheap, and it fits. I grabbed it straight away because I thought I wouldn't have one in time for my next show !

I would LOVE to have a purple jacket. Maybe one day, when I get my nice, dark coloured horsey :)

kahjul
Sep. 15, 2009, 10:28 AM
Brown jacket, brown top hat, white everyhting else-my mare has too much white to go cream with my clothes. I also have a lovely orange glass stock tie with matching earrings.

Kaeleer
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:27 AM
Bayhorse UK, you have a PM!

Ibex
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
Has anyone actually known of an official "clothing infraction"? Just curious.

J.

I saw a judge question someone's Navy Arista Modern Competitor jacket once, even tho it's well within the rules :no:

Ambrey
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:35 AM
I tried gray but decided I liked black better with my horse.

I really liked the theory of the eggplant Arista jacket, but when I saw it in a photo it was lighter and brighter than I expected. Something in a really dark eggplant would be nice for certain colors!

But until the perfect Eggplant jacket becomes all the rage, I shall stick with black.

paintlady
Sep. 15, 2009, 12:15 PM
Navy jacket here... just looks better with my chestnut paint and brown tack.

Maya01
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:12 PM
Dark grey (looks black from a distance) with silver lined collar and a red silk interior layer. It looks smexy with my grey mare :lol:

mtngirl
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:16 AM
Hunter/forest green jacket with very pale pastel green shirt and matching stock tie, beige/tan breeches on a snowflake chetty appy :D OR

Navy blue pinstripe, with pale gray shirt, matching stock tie and light gray breeches....or at schooling shows...a kind of medium light "smokey blue" breeches.

Never had anything but positive comments.

I HATE white on me...makes me look sick...especially when paired with stark black. :no:

I've actually gotten the material for a dark velvet green...I used to compete in a black velvet jacket until it fell apart and got rave reviews on it. Definitely not a hot weather jacket! But have to admit it was lovely. When I found the light weight DARK green, I couldn't resist. Now to find some interesting equine buttons for it....

CLB15
Sep. 16, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hunter/forest green jacket with very pale pastel green shirt and matching stock tie, beige/tan breeches on a snowflake chetty appy :D OR

I've actually gotten the material for a dark velvet green...I used to compete in a black velvet jacket until it fell apart and got rave reviews on it. Definitely not a hot weather jacket! But have to admit it was lovely. When I found the light weight DARK green, I couldn't resist. Now to find some interesting equine buttons for it....

Green jackets are fantastic! I have a dark olive green one in the works (it's been sitting in my closet half made for a while now, but that still counts as "in the works"!). I had been looking for a deeper green fabric with plans of one day wearing it with dark brown boots and a helmet, but couldnt pass up the olive once I saw it. I found brass colored buttons on ebay with horses in extended trot.

The brown Pikeur Epsom coat looks really nice. After 4 to many falls I finally replaced my old helmet with a brown and black CO- how perfect, a helmet that can go both with the black and brown coats!

Calhoun
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:22 PM
I scribe a lot and only once heard a judge make a comment on a jacket which was woefully tight. Nothing was written down on the test, just the judge making a comment to me.

Where do you find dressage coats in colors? Websites?

I have always drooled over the shirt company which advertises on the back cover of the COTH every week. Why can't dressage riders wear these cool looking shirts? I could easily become a shirt whore if we wore these. Hunter people have all the fashion luck.

Tanyanoel
Sep. 17, 2009, 05:55 PM
Well, I don't have on yet but I am debating and I may very well just stick to black : )

I bought a beautiful pair of Burgundy Konig boots for schooling, they are more of a deep brown with a hint of burgundy (if you look at them next to a brown horse they look burgundy, otherwise they look like a deep rich brown). So, since I have these lovely boots I have debated wearing them to a show with a matching jacket.

Maya01
Sep. 17, 2009, 06:16 PM
Well, I don't have on yet but I am debating and I may very well just stick to black : )

I bought a beautiful pair of Burgundy Konig boots for schooling, they are more of a deep brown with a hint of burgundy (if you look at them next to a brown horse they look burgundy, otherwise they look like a deep rich brown). So, since I have these lovely boots I have debated wearing them to a show with a matching jacket.

You know, burgundy would be kind of a nice colour for a show jacket. It really would look good on any colour horse...I like it :winkgrin:

oharabear
Sep. 18, 2009, 02:55 AM
You know, burgundy would be kind of a nice colour for a show jacket. It really would look good on any colour horse...I like it :winkgrin:

My chestnut TB mare's "color" is burgundy. Schooling saddle pad, wraps, blankets, etc. It looks lovely on her. :yes:

Romany
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:44 PM
The gorgeous Borso D'Este jackets, which are/were stocked by Tropical Riders in sensible navy and black only, seem to offer some much livelier colours, just not on this side of the Atlantic, sadly.

Here's one in dark grey with burgundy trim which looks very nice:

http://cgi.ebay.ca:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250500269580&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123

If anyone can find a website for Borso D'Este, please post, as even Google runnethed dry for me!

Tanyanoel
Sep. 18, 2009, 08:24 PM
Oh my, that would be peeeeeeerfect with burgundy boots! It actually gives me an idea, I could add a nice burgundy velvet collar onto on of my current jackets..... hmmmmmmmmmm.

Moogles
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
Oh my, that would be peeeeeeerfect with burgundy boots! It actually gives me an idea, I could add a nice burgundy velvet collar onto on of my current jackets..... hmmmmmmmmmm.

Can you show me pictures of your boots? It's been a dream of mine to get some neat colored boots!

Velvet
Sep. 19, 2009, 02:21 PM
I had a Eurofit jacket that was in a deep burgundy with a black velvet color and black velvet around the pocket flaps. It was really pretty, but even though it was semi-custom it was pretty poorly made and never fit quite right (and I had it measured by the reps here). The color was great, and I really liked it. It looked great with my horse's color. It recently met with an unfortunate accident and has since been replaced with a totally custom black jacket with velvet color.

I'm really thinking I do need to get a second jacket that has color to it again. I do love green, and it would look good on nearly any horse, but I would love to find a coat like the one I had in my youth. It was a medium shade of blue and had a dark blue velvet color. I loved it and wish someone would make one. I can't even find the right material.

Maybe I should just go tweed for my second jacket. I do have a hunt coat that is a blue pinstripe, and I like that one too.

I believe in options and having FUN in dressage. :D

HTeventing
Dec. 26, 2011, 11:56 PM
I have a beautiful chocolate with gold pinstripe and velvet collar show coat for everything but dressage and a black for dressage.

RedmondDressage
Dec. 27, 2011, 12:06 AM
I'm commissioning my mom to make me a custom shadbelly in gray. I'd love something similar to what Edward Gal wore in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vImhQN69d9w

I think it will look sharp on my guy.

We shall see what I do with my next horse... I'm REALLY loving brown right now, which I used to hate.... But I would love a pair of mahogany boots, brown tack, and a suuuuuuper dark brown jacket ala Catherine Haddad...

I *believe* she's wearing the brown in this video but it's hard to tell, the color may just be wonky. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ue0NbTF_a8

PFMJ
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:46 AM
I have the Cavallo short coat (youngsters right now) and I have a slate blue one and the other is really neat. It's almost a black cherry, so more reddish than burgandy. My friend hand picked the fabric for me, so I just love it--same cut as the other.

Sandy M
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I have a charcoal grey one with velvet color and cream trim on the lapes and pockets.

catosis
Dec. 27, 2011, 11:55 AM

PF, that looks a lot like Raleigh. Am I correct in assuming that it is?