PDA

View Full Version : Ugh ! My spur broke ! How to fix ?

mandalea
Sep. 14, 2009, 05:09 AM
My spur broke a little while ago, but I have a show soon, and I need to fix it !

I cant afford to buy new ones, and I like the ones I have. They snapped about 1cm from the shank, and is currently held together with blue electrical tape.

Maybe hot glue? Weld? Soulder ?

I need ideas !

Bogey2
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:00 AM
is their a welder or a machine shop near you? maybe they could fix it for you.

spaghetti legs
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:32 AM
get someone to solder it for you. it would only need a tiny bit, just make sure the join is smooth and not sharp.

hoopoe
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:01 AM
I would not take a pair of repaired spurs to a show. If you can afford to pay someone to repair you can afford a new pair

If they should break again during the test, you very well could be eliminated during the bit / spur check. If the repair is not perfect, you could as well

30$ for a new set of spurs, or borrow a pair is a more reasonable approach.

rebecca yount
Sep. 14, 2009, 09:33 AM
Hoopoe, my sentiments exactly.

You can even find used spurs at most tack shops. I have about 50 pairs.

If it broke during riding, you could also hurt your horse.

bort84
Sep. 14, 2009, 12:49 PM
You can get new spurs for way under $30 in most tack stores.

For example: $6.25 including straps - http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,537.html

Here's the ladies spur page: http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/2,485.html

Notice that nearly every pair is for sale for less than $30. It's just not worth it to repair them. Even if you had some really beautiful, expensive spurs, the $10 pair will probably last just as long and work just as well. Even the Herm Sprengers are under $30 there. My vote: borrow some, or shell out the 10 bucks for a new pair = )

everyequine
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:17 PM
I am in the group that says "new spurs", please. If These were so expensive, they might be under some sort of warranty- call the company. Until then, use something else. Don't risk poking your horse with a broken spur if your tape repair falls off.

RAyers
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:58 PM
Given that the spur is most likely a low quality cast steel with a chrome plating, I doubt welding or solder will work well or long. You will also destroy the surrounding steel (heat affected zone) and just make them re-break in a new location.

New spurs.

Reed

trubandloki
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:06 PM
Another vote to simply buy new spurs.

analise
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:17 PM
Ditto everybody else. Spurs aren't that expensive, certainly no more than paying someone to solder them for you would be, I'm sure, and I'd rather have a good new pair than a weak pair that could break again.

Bogey2
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:24 PM
excellent point hoopoe!

slc2
Sep. 14, 2009, 06:56 PM
Life favors the bold! Have them repaired for 3 times what a new pair of spurs would cost. I had a friend who epoxied one back together. First step she took it broke.

Phaxxton
Sep. 14, 2009, 07:06 PM
The cost of new spurs is far less the show fees you'd be out if you get eliminated during the spur check... ;) They're not that expensive -- just invest in a new pair! :yes:

mandalea
Sep. 27, 2009, 05:38 AM
I have all the welding/glueing/soldering kit at home.

For now, I have glued it, but on both, around the inside, since they also rub on my boots and leave marks, so it is stopping them from doing that.

Spurs in Australia are quite expensive.

The ones at my local tack store that I want, are AU$75 ! And they are just standard, everyday, short shanked spurs. Nothing special.

Roan
Sep. 27, 2009, 05:50 AM
Given that the spur is most likely a low quality cast steel with a chrome plating, I doubt welding or solder will work well or long. You will also destroy the surrounding steel (heat affected zone) and just make them re-break in a new location.

New spurs.

Reed

What Reed said. Do not try to solder or weld them, even if they are "expensive" spurs. Also, you have to have the correct solder/weld for the correct metal or you will just make a mess.

Just because the pair you "want" cost 75$, doesn't mean you have to buy those. Buy something dirt cheap, like the ones for 20$ I just saw on an Australian tack site, for the show and get the pair you really want later. That way you can keep the cheap pair in reserve for situations such as this.

Never hurts to have a spare of anything.

Eileen

Noctis
Sep. 27, 2009, 09:03 AM
Even in AU you can find cheap spurs, just like several of us did from our computers. What if it broke while riding? You'd most likely get eliminated during a tack check, and more importantly, you could easily hurt your HORSE with a broken spur. So buy new ones or don't wear the darned things.

Equibrit
Sep. 27, 2009, 10:21 AM
You cannot weld/stick coated/hardened metal. Go without, borrow some, or buy more.

goeslikestink
Sep. 27, 2009, 01:11 PM
I would not take a pair of repaired spurs to a show. If you can afford to pay someone to repair you can afford a new pair

If they should break again during the test, you very well could be eliminated during the bit / spur check. If the repair is not perfect, you could as well

30$ for a new set of spurs, or borrow a pair is a more reasonable approach.

echo you hoopoe -- its unprofessional and down right dangerous to the hrose as they could break again and you would be hurting the horse with a pointed stump and be disqualified for abuse

spaghetti legs
Sep. 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
saddleworld has $20 spurs
http://stage-www.saddleworld.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=35&Itemid=59

Here are some on Ebay for only ten bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DRESSAGE-SPURS-LADIES-BNWT-Stainless-Steel_W0QQitemZ290353671820QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_H orse_Riding_Equipment?hash=item439a6d6e8c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14