PDA

View Full Version : Really? UPDATE: Spinoff..do I look heavy?

shadytrake
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:23 AM
Okay I was reading this thread and I want to know honestly if you think I look heavy on my horse. I will be keeping him forever...I bought him as a yearling and he's my "forever" horse.

A little info.

- I'm 5'2" and 140lbs. I'm coming 39 years old and I am NOT a gym person. I eat right but I have been curvy ever since college. The lowest I have been since then is 136lbs which does make me look leaner but is really tough for me to keep as I have a sit down computer job...sigh..

- My guy is 15-3 1/2 TB and 1/2 Trakehner with a pretty long neck and a huge engine.

- I've graduated from Limit Rider 2'6" and am competitive in the Pre-Adults 2'6" and planning on moving up to Mod Child/Adult and older A/A's next year.

- So do you think I'm heavy? Do you think I'm matched okay?
- Favor please? Please help me pick a nice photo from Windcrest to frame his first Champion ribbon from the "A" show. So far, I'm leaning to #1094.

Here is the link to the Pro photographs from the show.

http://windcrestphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/243_avant_garde/09classic1092_78_1_39

Here is the link to the candids taken by a lady at our barn.

http://www.atrakehner.com/yabbs/index.php/topic,2751.0.html

You may be brutally honest...I have a thick skin. :winkgrin: :yes:

QM2
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
No, I don't think that you look heavy and I am in the George Morris school of thought.

I think that you chose a very nice and suitable mount to be your forever horse. He's very cute and you look good on him.

Good luck and have fun with him!

spmoonie
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:33 AM
For the pictures, I like #1566. The second link didnt work for me. From the pictures, I thought you looked fine. You do have a more "stocky" build, however, you are not too big for your horse, IMO.

2LaZ2race
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:40 AM
Rule # 23 of riding... never allow your horses butt to be smaller than your own

you're nowhere near breaking the rule :winkgrin:

Couture TB
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:43 AM
You are built like me. To me you don't look heavy, just compact. Every ounce of muscle or fat looks for on shorter people do to out lack of upper body. Show coats also do not do us the favors they do for taller riders.

I like 1094 the best. Try bringing your lower leg forward a bit, your butt back so that your crotch is not right over the pommel of the saddle. If you steady and strengthen your lower leg more it will help your upper body.

I do the same thing sometimes. Short legs + short upper body = not as pretty of a picture when something is a bit off with us.

Here is me on a TB cross when I was about your weight, and he was anywhere between 16h-16.2h depending on when the photos were taken (age wise for him) (Oh and no this is not me trying to link to a sales add, it is the only photos I have of him to show OP a shorter stocky rider, he was SOLD *yay* in Dec of 08) http://mattsontraining.net/Index_files/Page330.htm

Platinum Equestrian
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:56 AM
You look just fine on him. ;)

Parrotnutz
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:59 AM
I think you make a well suited pair...he is adorable! And I agree never ride a horse that has a smaller butt than you
Actually if anyone needs to drop a few pounds it *may* be him :)

grayarabpony
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:03 AM
You don't look heavy at all. Your horse is lovely. I agree with Parotnutz that he could probably lose some weight.

Thomas_1
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:03 AM
So being perfectly honest...... and trust me..... I always am. ;)

I read your OP. That height and weight on that size of horse is perfectly o.k. and for sure not too heavy.

I saw your professional photo (couldn't get the other ones to work) and that confirmed what I know to be fact from what you said.

You're not too heavy for your horse.

Whether you think you're a little heavy for your height and to feel comfortable with yourself is another thing entirely and that's up to you to decide. But for sure you look fine in terms of matching on your horse.

p.s. My wife has an enormous heavy hunter horse and she says riding him is like wearing vertical stripes. She knows her bum doesn't look big on him! ;)

BeastieSlave
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
Nope. I don't think you look too heavy for your horse :)

Like Thomas said, any issues you have about your weight/size are another thing. You look good on the horse.

shadytrake
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:42 AM
Actually if anyone needs to drop a few pounds it *may* be him :)

Don't let the pics fool you. :) It's all muscle on him. He's worked 5-6 days a week by either me or my trainer. He's just an easy keeper. 3/4 scoop of senior, electrolytes, 1 squirt of rice bran oil, hay inside...grass turnout 4pm-730am.

**disclaimer** NOT advertising...just showing the similarities between sire and offspring. I don't have any business relationship with these links.

Here's a link to his sire who sadly passed away this past July. You can kind of see that he stamps his body type.

http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/Advocate.asp

And his approved 1/2 sibling.
http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/Malachi.asp

I also owned a 1/2 sister but sadly had to put her down due to complications post colic. I have a couple of photos of her at this link under Itaka.

http://www.imageextensions.net/page13/page13.html

And I forgot that I have more photos of us at this link. The dressage photos are from 2007 and everything else is 2008-2009 except for the Pro photos (the very last 3 - brown shirt, 2007 pony club show, vest jumper 2008 schooling show, light blue shirt, pink reins 2007 schooling show - my skinniest moment, but no leg muscle)

http://www.imageextensions.net/page11/page11.html

HiddenAcres
Sep. 13, 2009, 12:32 PM
1566 is the best photo.He looks fabulous and you are looking up and not grimacing. In the others you are "laying on the neck" more and in the one you prefer, he looks a little "close" to the fence.

You are not "too big" for your horse, and if someone has planted that idea,know that you are starting to be a threat to them.

Your horse is no heavier than most of the winning warmbloods.

Have fun!

Parrotnutz
Sep. 13, 2009, 01:42 PM
I was joking when I said your horse *May* be fat.....it was a play on the whole thing about you being too heavy....sorry it didn't translate.

I think the 2 of you fit each other extremely well.

Kikki
Sep. 17, 2009, 03:00 AM
Awe, I know you and your horse! Y'all are cute together - you suit him just fine! And he seems to like what he does, so he doesn't seem to have an opinion on it! He is a stout one though!

MistyBlue
Sep. 17, 2009, 08:18 AM
You don't even look heavy in the white dressage britches.
And almost *everyone* looks bigger in those! :winkgrin:
I'd say you were a very good match for your horse.
Please remember that many times we can be our own worst critics. (others can be purposely oblivious too, but that's not an issue here) I'm also short, same height give or take a millimeter or so. Us short folks tend to think we look heavier or disproportioned due to our diminutive height. We have all the same body parts as normal height folks, just smooshed into a smaller package. :D
You aren't heavy and you're defiinitely not too large for your horse.
In these days of seeing people our height all mounted on 17.2hh big beefy horses, we may think we look odd because we actually "fit* our horses when we're more used to seeing people dwarfed by their horses. Not that there's anything wrong with being short on a big horse...it's just that it's so common right now we're changing our perception of what an aptly matched pair actually looks like.
Ages ago when my sister and I were both showing...we used to get comments often on how well we both fit our horses. I rode my 14.2hh App mare and my 5'11" all leg sister rode her 17hh narrow built slab sided TB. (okay, so they looked elegant and we looked like wind up toys. :lol:) Nowadays in order to fit the "norm" I would have to be on a 16.3hh horse and my sister would think she needed a 17.3hh to 18.2hh horse. :rolleyes:
Personally, I think you have a muscular athletic looking build and fit your horse beautifully.
Stop being so hard on yourself...I know it's hard not to look at photos or in the mirror and only see flaws...it's a curse us females live with.

magnolia73
Sep. 17, 2009, 08:30 AM
No, you do not look in anyway too fat, heavy or even close to large on that horse. You don't even look chubby or in need of losing pound. I'd even say he looks a scootch big for you. But I think it is a pleasing pairing.

You do look very awkward and uncomfortable in photos over fences- like you are collapsing your shoulders forward. The slumping might be why you think you look fat? You could lose 40 lbs and if you kept slumping you'd still be unhappy with the pics. I think if you worked on that posture - pulling shoulders back and not collapsing, you'd be much happier with your photos. The other thing that might help- getting your jacket tailored better- it looks too big, particularly over your shoulders.

Your horse looks super nice- and honestly, to jump so nice, you are doing something right. Hunters are not about how we look in the air. :)

cutemudhorse
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:08 AM
No way do you look too big for your horse!!! Keep on having fun!

myvanya
Sep. 17, 2009, 09:39 AM
You look great on your horse- I agree with those who say work on your eq a little bit though if you want to improve the image- open up your shoulders and tighten your seat and you may be a little happier with the overall picture. You and your horse look lovely and happy together though and it is great to see that; you make an excellent, well matched pair.

Fashion Police
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:14 AM
- I'm 5'2" and 140lbs.

- So do you think I'm heavy? Do you think I'm matched okay?

You may be brutally honest...I have a thick skin.

Because you asked: yes I do think you're heavy. That's a lot of weight on a 5'2" frame as I'm sure your doctor has probably already told you. It seems you already know that you'll look and feel a lot better if you lose some weight. If it's important to you, get up an hour earlier each day and exercise before you go to your desk job.
Do I think you're matched okay? Absolutely. You look great on that very, very cute horse. (but yes, you'd look even better if you lost some weight.)

- Favor please? Please help me pick a nice photo from Windcrest to frame his first Champion ribbon from the "A" show. So far, I'm leaning to #1094.

I like 1094, too, and also 1566. And next show, wear black gloves!

Petstorejunkie
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:36 AM
You look appropriately matched for each other, but I don't think you would have posted this thread if you agreed with us. You are in control of how you look, so if YOU dont like the picture, change it.
Easier said than done I know (believe me I know) :cool:

KateKat
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:39 AM
super cute horse and I think you look great on him.

I think the only thing that should motivate you if you do want to lose weight is for your health or the well being of the horse, not how you "look" on him. I've lost some weight mainly because I was tired of getting winded going around a course and figured that it couldn't be great for the horse either. However, if everyone is fit and happy, then keep on keepin' on!

Chic Hunter
Sep. 17, 2009, 10:40 AM
Ride a Draught............It'll make your butt look smaller.

-Bumper sticker on my tractor

shadytrake
Sep. 18, 2009, 12:04 AM
No, you do not look in anyway too fat, heavy or even close to large on that horse. You don't even look chubby or in need of losing pound. I'd even say he looks a scootch big for you. But I think it is a pleasing pairing.

You do look very awkward and uncomfortable in photos over fences- like you are collapsing your shoulders forward. The slumping might be why you think you look fat? You could lose 40 lbs and if you kept slumping you'd still be unhappy with the pics. I think if you worked on that posture - pulling shoulders back and not collapsing, you'd be much happier with your photos. The other thing that might help- getting your jacket tailored better- it looks too big, particularly over your shoulders.

Your horse looks super nice- and honestly, to jump so nice, you are doing something right. Hunters are not about how we look in the air. :)

Yes I do hunch. I'm sure maybe you can see my shoulder back support through my jacket. You can't see it but I am actually having a blast showing. I am so focused when I compete that my face looks like I am in pain. :lol: In several of the photos I am actually clucking or counting (our goal at this show was to get the strides down the lines which we did-yay).

Yes, my blue jacket is more tailored to me. The tan one is new(used) that I just got and haven't had time to tailor yet.

In response to Fashion Police...
Yes, with both of my parents being physicians I am well aware of health issues related to obesity. But I also know that the standard published suggested weight of 117lbs for a 5'2" woman is unrealistic in my opinion. I would be skin and bones if I were that weight, but I bet I would look great on the cover of a magazine. :lol: I could probably get to 130 and be just about ideal for my body type. No worries as my cholesterol is super low, blood pressure is always below normal, and I can run a 5K in about the 10 minute mile club. I was just wondering if I looked heavy. So now I know and thanks.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

hunter-eventer-hunter
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:55 AM
I am 5'4 and weight about 150. I am built just like you. I do work out a lot and while there is some good old fat to get off, I also an built like the preverbial Brick S**t house and have SUPER wide shoulders (10 years of year round, twice a day swim team will do that.)

Anyway: You look fine and your horse is a cutie who likes his job and that is what matters.

I did get some great advice when I still showed Eq from none other the GEORGE MORRIS (this was MANY moons ago) about looking longer (and in turn skinner). He must have decided I wasn't fat when he as at the farm as I was bailing and putting hay up the day he arrived on the farm and it was a million degrees and I didn't die.

Your lower leg slips back a bit and in turn gets your but out of the saddle a bit too much, and the hip angle opens. When you REALLY stick to the classic Head-Hip-Heel and keep the leg long at the girth, you trick the eye into thinking the leg is longer and leaner than it is. Plus with a correctly placed leg that is really secure, you can start to work on a automatic release that always makes you look leaner. A crest release makes me look big becuase your eye is drawn to my middle bit which is BY FAR the thickest part of my body. I easily look 10 pounds lighter if I an using a following release.

But all in all, you both look really good. Turn out is nice

Mukluk
Sep. 18, 2009, 01:35 PM
"But I also know that the standard published suggested weight of 117lbs for a 5'2" woman is unrealistic in my opinion. I would be skin and bones if I were that weight, but I bet I would look great on the cover of a magazine. :lol: I could probably get to 130 and be just about ideal for my body type. No worries as my cholesterol is super low, blood pressure is always below normal, and I can run a 5K in about the 10 minute mile club."

Sounds like you are healthy! How many folks on this board can run a 5K- oh probably several. But I bet many couldn't. The published weights do not take into account your frame size, amount of muscle etc. According to BMI, Picabo Street the olympic ski racer would be Obese- when she was racing she was all muscle. So if you are healthy and happy then who cares. And you and your horse make a nice pair! Keep riding!

toomanyponies
Sep. 18, 2009, 05:26 PM
Yes, you look too heavy. Are you too heavy for your horse to do his job nicely (which it appears that he is!!! very cute!) - absolutely not. Will getting fitter and less top heavy make you ride better? YUP!

Texan By The Grace Of God
Sep. 18, 2009, 05:35 PM
No you don't look too heavy at all. and my oh my how cute is he!!

veezee
Sep. 18, 2009, 06:07 PM
Photo: 09classic1163

twobays
Sep. 18, 2009, 07:29 PM
Because you asked: yes I do think you're heavy. That's a lot of weight on a 5'2" frame as I'm sure your doctor has probably already told you. It seems you already know that you'll look and feel a lot better if you lose some weight. If it's important to you, get up an hour earlier each day and exercise before you go to your desk job.
Do I think you're matched okay? Absolutely. You look great on that very, very cute horse. (but yes, you'd look even better if you lost some weight.)

I like 1094, too, and also 1566. And next show, wear black gloves!

:rolleyes: She's barely overwight...less than five pounds. I doubt her doctor is ragging on her about the health problems associated with being four pounds overweight.

Cindyg
Sep. 18, 2009, 09:34 PM
IMO, you appear to be a normal, average (non-Hollywood, non-model) weight. Your horse appears to be above-average size, and you look terrific together. Absolutely don't give it another thought.

Sugarbrook
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:43 PM
IMHO I think both of you are LOOKIN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Trevelyan96
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:50 PM
I don't think you look overweight at all, you just have typical adult curves! Your horse is adorable and I think you make a cute pair.

I couldn't really see the pics well enough to make a recommendation on which to use, sorry.

Trevelyan96
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=Mukluk;4383067]"But I also know that the standard published suggested weight of 117lbs for a 5'2" woman is unrealistic in my opinion. I would be skin and bones if I were that weight, but I bet I would look great on the cover of a magazine. :lol: ." /[END QUOTE]

I'm not so sure about that. I'm 4'11" and look downwright chubby if I start creeping up to 110. DD is 5'2" and she is a very healthy looking at 115, slim, flat stomach, but with curves and a good amount of meat on her bones.

However, I really try not to get hung up on the number, as muscle weighs more than fat, and the OP looks like she's built to carry good sized muscle in her thighs, but I don't see any excess fat. She looks like a realistically healthy effective rider to me.

Ecks Marx The Spot
Sep. 20, 2009, 08:46 AM
Height and weight are good guidelines to go by..... but people are all built differently. I'm 5'4 and 148...... I'm very athletic and fit.Not only do I ride, but I run and lift weights.
People generally guess my weight at 125, and other women I meet at my height and weight are most of the time , a little rounder and sometimes they look obviously overweight. Its all about how your body carries the muscle, fat, and your bone structure.

OP, I think you look like a good match for your horse :)

Showsheen
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:07 PM
Your question makes me sad, as does the group of suggestions that state you should lose weight.
It is true that Riding is a sport that is best when thin and the thinner the better.
But, You look normal, sorry to say, perfectly healthy and perfectly normal.
Not every body is meant to be thin, or can be thin, even though normal thin people think it is possible, it is not.
Your horse is perfect, attractive, fancy and perfectly capable and happy to carry you at this weight or five or ten pounds more or less.
Enjoy your life, ride and show your horse and stop obsessing about the size of your perfectly normal sized ass.
Unless you are trying to win the Maclay finals, you are just right.
And your horse and you as a team look to be very special!:)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Sep. 20, 2009, 03:25 PM
1st, I love your horse, GREAT cross. :winkgrin: (see sig line)

2nd, seems like someone may have said something to you lately that made you worry or concerned about the way you look on your horse. You look fine. He looks great! Relax and enjoy your ride. ;)

shadytrake
Sep. 20, 2009, 05:08 PM
1st, I love your horse, GREAT cross. :winkgrin: (see sig line)

2nd, seems like someone may have said something to you lately that made you worry or concerned about the way you look on your horse. You look fine. He looks great! Relax and enjoy your ride. ;)

Hey Bugs! Long time no speak...I've been out riding and showing. No, no-one said anything. I am my worst critic. I hate that photos add 10 lbs to my otherwise healthy body. It is all me. I did decide to go for it and lose the last 10 lbs. I got a running buddy and we start on Tuesday morning.

Hope your riding is going great!

Bugs-n-Frodo
Sep. 21, 2009, 02:33 AM
I was. Then I got overwhelmed at work, and then sick for a week and hopefully this week I will be back in the saddle again. Frodo is fabulous though. He's topped at 16.2 1/2 (though he may eek out another 1/2" or so) but is not starting round out a bit and look more mature. His a sweetie. I have missed riding the past few weeks.

sisu27
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:54 PM
I think you and your horse look fine together. I think you would look better off the horse if you lost a few. But you didn't ask that.

I find it disturbing how many people consult a chart with weight and height to determine anything. WTF? That is idiotic. BMI is useless too. YOU KNOW when you are overweight. Period. If you aren't sure then you are probably fine or just dillussional. I have seen many other girls weigh the same is me and of the same height and we all have different bodies. Some look heavier and some look lighter. I have seen skinny chicks with pot bellies. Are they "healthy" because they fit in a box on a chart?

IrishWillow
Sep. 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
Here's a link to his sire who sadly passed away this past July. You can kind of see that he stamps his body type.

http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/Advocate.asp

Advocate is gone? Oh, no! I hadnt heard that. He was(is) a favorite of mine.

Altamont Sport Horses
Sep. 23, 2009, 06:06 PM
What a cute horse!! We have a half sibling to your boy (Adahlia (http://www.altamontsporthorses.com/adahlia.html)). Advocate *Ps* has produced some good competition horses.

I think you and your horse look well matched so I wouldn't worry about it. I do think, however, that your horse will have an easier time over the jumps and use his body better if you come back off his neck.

My current monitor is a wide screen and it is distorting your photos so I don't have a recommendation. Nice photos though.

ETA: Oops, I just realized OP was saying her horse was a half sibling to Malachi, not that Malachi and Advocate are half-sibs. My mistake.

shadytrake
Sep. 23, 2009, 09:22 PM
What a cute horse!! We have a half sibling to your boy (Adahlia (http://www.altamontsporthorses.com/adahlia.html)). Advocate *Ps* has produced some good competition horses.

ETA: Oops, I just realized OP was saying her horse was a half sibling to Malachi, not that Malachi and Advocate are half-sibs. My mistake.

Yes your girl is a half sibling. My guy is by Advocate *Ps* out of June Graduate xx by Roberts Rules xx

Malachi is by Advocate *Ps* too. His only approved son.

Across Sicily
Sep. 24, 2009, 02:19 AM
I don't think you look too heavy, on OR off the horse. A person created of bits of skin and bone is not attractive imo. You look muscled and athletic and you look fantastic on your horse.