PDA

View Full Version : Bridle/Bit Photo - Don't understand - COTH mag

grayarabs
Sep. 12, 2009, 03:46 PM
There is a photo of training level horse/rider 8/8/9 issue of COTH page 40.
Young rider/horse. Mare is Friesian-paint cross - black with bald face.
I studied the photo and could not see the throatlatch of bridle.
It is there (shown on another photo online). Anyway, kept looking at the photo and thought that perhaps it is tough to find a bridle for a horse with markings like the mare's.
(Zia). Somehow, I think the bridle shown is a bit overwhelming for the mare.
The bit and rings - I don't know - seems to me the ring (due to much of bit being seen left side of mouth) seems awful far from mouth and close to front of neck. (rider mentions in article that mare is heavy on left rein). Dunno - just something about that bridle I don't like/understand. I suppose I was prompted to look more closely after having read the article, "Not Picture Perfect" in the letters section (p50) where that writer wrote about bridles.
I found URL with more photos:
http://www.sheriscottphotography.com/galleries/cds_no_jrs_2009_n-v/index.htm
(rider last name starts Va). (photo 809-108-014 is the one shown in COTH mag).
Perhaps that "fit" is the norm and I just never thought about it before.
Optimum "connection" is possible as shown?

yellowbritches
Sep. 12, 2009, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure what you are seeing. What I see is a properly adjusted bridle and what looks like a horse/rider who hangs on the left rein. Looks awfully familiar to me, since my horse and I are in a constant state of working on the same issue (and I've had some dressage pictures that look similar to this little mare's). If you click through the pictures you'll see a few where one or the other or both have let go of the left rein, and the bit sits properly in the mouth.

It is not optimum connection (as the horse/rider or not equally connected in both reins but heavier/hanging on the left) but it is hardly an uncommon problem with a young horse and it is an easy trap to fall into as a rider. Otherwise, the horse is quite cute and the rider looks like she is having a blast!

Kaluna
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:19 PM
I agree with Yellow Britches. I see that perhaps the noseband is high on the face and that the throatlatch disappears into the dark patch of the horse's cheek, but the riders explained alot with her description.

The bit does seem large for the horse. On the other hand, in my experience some horses need larger looserings because the looserings pinch the lips or need a bridle fit just so.

In less than five minutes I found the contact information for this rider. I believe that she is the one to ask about the bridle fit for her particular horse.

Ambrey
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
Aw, what a nice smile she has on her face! I agree with the others about the photo, except to add that I think they are quite a cute pair :)

MistyBlue
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:30 PM
Could be a bit of an optical illusion too. That's a large apron face marking...that size and outline of the facial marking can make most bridles look greatly exaggerated.
It's also a royal pain in the butt to find a bridle that doesn't look odd on a horse with so much facial white. It's odd how the problem isn't as prevelent with a grey horse but more noticeable on a dark horse with a white face.

Hampton Bay
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:54 PM
Not quite sure what's so off about it? Sure a bridle will stand out on a horse with that much facial white, but it looks fitted properly to me.

Does this rider know you have posted about her bridle on here? Seems a bit rude to me to run to a BB posting about how some girl's bridle doesn't look like it fits her horse.

slc2
Sep. 13, 2009, 06:41 AM
Yep, it is that for sure. You don't like face markings on horses, or what? The bit and bridle are fine, don't go looking for trouble, or afterward, it tends to keep following YOU, LOL.

Most likely the horse was distracted by something right when the picture was taken, and the rider had to try and half halt the left rein to refocus and balance his horse. Stuff happens, lighten up.

Thomas_1
Sep. 13, 2009, 07:14 AM
What a peculiar posting!

There is a photo of training level horse/rider 8/8/9 issue of COTH page 40.
Young rider/horse. Mare is Friesian-paint cross - black with bald face.
I studied the photo and could not see the throatlatch of bridle.
It is there (shown on another photo online). Anyway, kept looking at the photo and thought that perhaps it is tough to find a bridle for a horse with markings like the mare's. Erm in what way would it be "tough". In my world you chose a bridle to FIT the horse's head shape and that ensures the horse is comfortable. Not to match it's colour!!!

Looking at that bridle it seems to me that the nose band is too high and the bit too large. But heck about 80% of horses I see have ill fitting tack.

That horse doesn't look uncomfortable though so it's hardly a killing matter and I wouldn't personally say that it's so bad it's worth a thread!

(Zia). Somehow, I think the bridle shown is a bit overwhelming for the mare. So what!

The bit and rings - I don't know - seems to me the ring (due to much of bit being seen left side of mouth) seems awful far from mouth and close to front of neck. A photo is a moment in time and I'd say that at that moment in time the rider was hanging on to the left rein and pulled the bit through.

grayarabs
Sep. 13, 2009, 04:36 PM
Agree with all.
It is just the one picture - where the bit ring has gone behind the noseband.
That is what has puzzled me. I don't use that kind of bridle so don't know, obviously.
Had to look at another similar photo to compare/understand - FWIW same website - horse Apollo - photo 809-104-128.
Horse and rider make an adorable couple. Not my intent to take away from that.