PDA

View Full Version : Please help finding H/J barns in DC area

electric stride
Sep. 12, 2009, 01:23 PM
I have a friend moving from Richmond VA area into the District next month and am helping her find a barn. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Tini Sea Soldier
Sep. 12, 2009, 01:26 PM
My friends that work in DC all seem to ride and show with Patty at Rolling Acres and love it.

theblondejumper
Sep. 12, 2009, 01:48 PM
I've been struggling with this also but I am relying on public transportation or rides from people. Good luck!

electric stride
Sep. 12, 2009, 02:13 PM
I know DC isn't exactly 'cheap living' but do you guys know of any stables the board that aren't extremely expensive? Paying for a full off-site lease is quite a bit, not even including board.

LexInVA
Sep. 12, 2009, 04:24 PM
Good luck with that.

GreenMachine
Sep. 12, 2009, 05:07 PM
Define "extremely expensive." Most show barns with an indoor on the VA side of the river are going to start around $850/month for board and go up from there. Obviously, the closer to the city you are, the more you'll have to pay.

You'll want to shop around to see what's included in that--many barns charge extra fees for holding for vet/farrier, blanketing, etc., but a few include those services in the standard board rate. You can also look into barns where there might be share board opportunities (e.g., the trainer has students looking for half leases).

The upside is that the local circuit in the area offers some lovely show options, so you can keep your show costs down and enjoy some good competition at nice facilities.

FiveBs
Sep. 13, 2009, 04:41 PM
You might want to check out Mea Farm. They are located in Aldie, VA - West on Rt 50 or West on the Dulles toll road would get you there. Their web site is MeaFarm.com. They go to both hunter and jumper shows, rated, as well as schooling. They have an indoor.

Duckz
Sep. 13, 2009, 06:58 PM
I knew people at Merrymount who commuted from DC or Northern VA. Board is inexpensive for the area, plus it includes a weekly lesson. I grew up riding there. PM me if you want details.

www.merrymountequestrian.com

theblondejumper
Sep. 13, 2009, 08:54 PM
I knew people at Merrymount who commuted from DC or Northern VA. Board is inexpensive for the area, plus it includes a weekly lesson. I grew up riding there. PM me if you want details.

www.merrymountequestrian.com

Is there anyway I could get there via public transportation? Oh how I wish I was 21 so I could get a zip car.

Duckz
Sep. 13, 2009, 09:16 PM
Is there anyway I could get there via public transportation? Oh how I wish I was 21 so I could get a zip car.

No, not that I know of. It's in southern PG county. Maybe you could start a thread asking about carpooling to nearby farms?

thegirlwonder
Sep. 13, 2009, 09:38 PM
I know Tony Workman's barn isn't exactly super close to DC, but it is just outside Purcellville, VA, in Hillsboro, VA: http://www.whfonline.com/. Dale Crittenberger and Peter Foley also have their barn in Aldie, VA just down 15S, their contact info can be found here:http://www.virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=GreenPages&sub=view&ID=9297. Also Sharon Huber's barn is in Great Falls which is pretty close to the city, the website is: http://www.stoneridgefarmva.com/

Good luck with whomever you decide on!

theblondejumper
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:56 PM
No, not that I know of. It's in southern PG county. Maybe you could start a thread asking about carpooling to nearby farms?

Good idea thanks. I have a couple of places that I could get transportation to that I'm trying to work something out with. But if they fall through I'll try here.

Equinoxfox
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:22 AM
There are so many posts/ threads on this topic.:yes:
It is best if you FIRST find out where you will be living .
THEN , decide on how far you are willing to travel. Remember traffic is going to be a huge issue here.
NEXT your long term goals , how much showing , etc.. and make your decisions based on that.
LAST,, drive around . go to tack shops , call barns and you will find something .
There are plenty of places but just so you know they are all OVER 30-minutes or more out from The District.
Good Luck .. IT is not easy ...

theblondejumper
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:49 AM
There are so many posts/ threads on this topic.:yes:

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a specific section in the forum for location/barn search threads?

Equinoxfox
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:24 AM
hey Theblondejumper .. YOU are so right . This topic/ thread comes up about once a month. LOL
There needs to be a place where all local farms/ trainers could have posting as a reference guide for people looking for farms.
who knows..
It just takes time and someone willing to get in a vehicle to drive around and and find the best farm that suits your needs.
Best of luck in your search and do your homework. There are so many out in NOVA and have fun doing it . :D

see u at x
Sep. 14, 2009, 12:40 PM
they are all OVER 30-minutes or more out from The District.
Good Luck .. IT is not easy ...

Actually, I know of a couple of places that are within a 20-30 minute drive of the DC area. Unfortunately, I wouldn't want to board at either one of them. :sigh:

QueenMother
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:22 PM
The only barn that I know of that is accessible by public transportation is Meadowbrook in Chevy Chase/Silver Spring. You can get there by metro with a transfer to the bus.

gottagrey
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:26 PM
For lessons - on public transportation I would suggest Meadowbrook. I wouldn't board there - no turnout. If you are in school/university - many of the U's here have equestrian teams - you might be able to carpool occasionally w/ them.

hollyhorse2000
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:27 PM
check out http://www.equiery.com/ for options. Georgetown isn't bad as you can scoot out Clara Barton Parkway to River Road and miss all the Beltway traffic, but there aren't necessarily a lot of strict h/j barns in that direction.

theblondejumper
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:28 PM
For lessons - on public transportation I would suggest Meadowbrook. I wouldn't board there - no turnout. If you are in school/university - many of the U's here have equestrian teams - you might be able to carpool occasionally w/ them.

Both options I am looking into. Will let you know how it goes! :)

gottagrey
Sep. 14, 2009, 11:02 PM
check out http://www.equiery.com/ for options. Georgetown isn't bad as you can scoot out Clara Barton Parkway to River Road and miss all the Beltway traffic, but there aren't necessarily a lot of strict h/j barns in that direction.

Hey Hollyhorse have you "scooted" out the Clarabarton Parkway from Georgetown between 5:30- 7:30pm t'ain't no scootin...(actually from G'town it's Canal Road which is really clogged up until you get to Clara Barton which you really wouldn't do; nor is there any scootin up/down River Road; not until you pass Bradley Blvd BUT having said that I do that trip every day as it's better than 270 the majority of the time.. Nonrush hours it's pretty much a breeze, going back into Georgetown sometimes might be another story... havent' done that in years but traffic used to be bad heading in to G'town on Friday and Sat evenings/nights -

hollyhorse2000
Sep. 15, 2009, 09:34 AM
Perhaps I should have said crawled . . . yeah, used to live on Capitol Hill and ride in Boyds until I decided the hell with it and moved out of the city.

gottagrey
Sep. 15, 2009, 02:15 PM
Ha ha ha - smart woman...

Trevelyan96
Sep. 15, 2009, 02:33 PM
Try looking out towards the Upper Marlboro and lower Anne Arundel County area in MD (Davidsonville). Traffic is better and there are some nice barns out that way. The Maryland Equiery has loads of listings.

Ride'emCO
Sep. 15, 2009, 02:41 PM
My friends that work in DC all seem to ride and show with Patty at Rolling Acres and love it.

An absolutely fabulous group of people! You'd be hard-pressed to find a better situation within a reasonable commute to DC, by anyone's standards. :yes:

electric stride
Sep. 16, 2009, 12:45 PM
Its just pretty darn hard to get out to any barn during rush hour.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:36 PM
I know of a place that is an easy trip even during rush hour, but like someone else said I wouldn't want to board there.

see u at x
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:06 PM
I know of a place that is an easy trip even during rush hour, but like someone else said I wouldn't want to board there.

Jinxy, it isn't located in PG or Fairfax Counties, is it? :lol:

JinxyFish313
Sep. 16, 2009, 02:24 PM
Could be ;)

electric stride
Sep. 17, 2009, 04:57 PM
Well what is it called..?