PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Medal ride-off prizes?

upnover192
Sep. 12, 2009, 12:40 PM
I'm in charge of buying prizes for the Medal ride-offs for our year end show this year. They'll already be getting a large silver plated trophy with their names engraved. I feel like coolers and leather halters are really overdone! Anyone have any other fun ideas? We usually give out carrying bags and gift cards as year end awards so I'd like to avoid that genre as well. Ideas?

upnover192
Sep. 12, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'd also like to avoid anything that isn't one size fits all (like jackets) or gender specific since we do have boys competing.

SkipChange
Sep. 12, 2009, 12:53 PM
What about saddle pads? Monogrammed with the show organization's name/logo.
A nice crop? A pair of spurs? An ear net, like jumpers wear? A hat monogrammed w/ show organization's name/logo?

Last Medal finals I did they gave us USHJA hats, said "Excellence in Equitation" on the back.

Renn/aissance
Sep. 12, 2009, 04:28 PM
Coming up with new, creative prizes is great... but please make sure the winner gets a nice cooler. I won a local medal final last year, got very excited because I've always wanted to win a cooler, and they had replaced the winner's cooler with a custom portrait of owner's choice done on an ostrich egg. A very neat prize--talk about creative!--but there was that disappointment about no cooler. :lol: I remember reading a story on COTH about someone winning a division at Lake Placid or something eons ago, getting excited about the cooler, and having a similar experience.

Neat prizes I've seen: small wooden tack trunk with brass plate reading name of competition; other types of horse clothing (Irish knit, scrim sheet, rain sheet) for 2nd and 3rd; stocked wooden grooming box; gift certificate to local tack shop that would cover a hunt coat/hunt coat of winner's choice from local saddlery; portrait of winner's choice done by local artist (my little gripe about cooler aside, this was really a neat prize); bridle; nice leather jumping bat; grooming buckets color-coordinated with ribbon color.

BigDreams07
Sep. 12, 2009, 04:41 PM
I think a cooler is a good, classic prize everyone can appreciate. I'd stick with that for Champion and Reserve Champion if you can. At the medal final I won this year I got a cooler, wooden saddle rack with plaque, embroidered Nike backpack, tons of treats, lots of extra ear puffs, and even some Rice krispies, lol. Reserve also got a cooler and a big bucket full of grooming/bath supplies. Everyone through 8th got something. Really well run finals.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 12, 2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah the classic cooler is preferable I think. Would you rather take pics with cooler or a gift certificate for a portrait?

However, I did always think entry into a big clinic would be a neat prize.

upnover192
Sep. 12, 2009, 06:19 PM
LOL, and ostrich egg? Interesting.... :lol: That is kind of a cool prize!

My opinion is that coolers are wonderful, they have the organization's name on it, they're useful, make great decorations, I would have LOVED to win a cooler when I did the medals! But some voices I've heard (mainly the more advanced kids) is "groan, not ANOTHER cooler...." (we've given them out as year end prizes several times). So I thought I'd look into more creative options. 2-10th place will be getting goody bags of grooming supplies. The nice wooden box sounds nice and classy.

We're already giving out saddle pads to champion/reserve of divisions and GC's to all 1st place ribbons. We're really trying to make the medals spectacular this year. I do know several riders who are competing who have never won a cooler though....

Keep the ideas coming!

spmoonie
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:42 PM
I second the idea of a new hunt coat or a gift certificate to a coat company (RJ classics, Grand prix, Marigold, etc) or the trunk. Or, a really nice bridle!

copper1
Sep. 13, 2009, 08:21 AM
Instead of a cooler, how about a rainsheet with the shows name? Or a stable sheet or blanket? I love coolers but I have a bunch of them now and rain gear is always something that we can use!

mothermucker12
Sep. 13, 2009, 10:09 AM
at our end of year banquet they gave "Lifeshades" to the champion and reserve champion of each division....look towards the right of this forum, they often advertise there....it was a really nice gift!!
they got the 16" or 14" rectangular/square one, owner picks the picture, that goes on opposite sides of shade and the organizations logo on the other 2 sides

www.lifeshades.com

Renn/aissance
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:31 AM
at our end of year banquet they gave "Lifeshades" to the champion and reserve champion of each division....look towards the right of this forum, they often advertise there....it was a really nice gift!!
they got the 16" or 14" rectangular/square one, owner picks the picture, that goes on opposite sides of shade and the organizations logo on the other 2 sides

www.lifeshades.com

You know, I'm sitting right next to mine and didn't even mention it. Where's the "duh" emoticon? This is a REALLY cool prize; probably better for an adult than a kid (who will want to know why her friend got a fun grooming bucket with a pink currycomb and she got a lampshade) but they're beautifully done. I get lots of comments on mine.

shadytrake
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
The kids might say "groan, another cooler" but here's one A/A who would LOVE to win a cooler. It is a goal of mine that has yet to be completed. :winkgrin: :yes:

spmoonie
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
You know, I'm sitting right next to mine and didn't even mention it. Where's the "duh" emoticon? This is a REALLY cool prize; probably better for an adult than a kid (who will want to know why her friend got a fun grooming bucket with a pink currycomb and she got a lampshade) but they're beautifully done. I get lots of comments on mine.

Yeah, from a 15 year olds perspective, I would be a little disappointed if I won a lampshade. :lol: I do think its a nice prize, but would be more suitable for an adult medal.

SkipChange
Sep. 13, 2009, 01:57 PM
Instead of a cooler, how about a rainsheet with the shows name? Or a stable sheet or blanket? I love coolers but I have a bunch of them now and rain gear is always something that we can use!

I like this idea!

Doubleeez
Sep. 13, 2009, 02:08 PM
How about one of those nifty portable canvas chairs with the logo embroidered on it and the wording Medal Champion.

messemny
Sep. 13, 2009, 02:27 PM
oooooooo i second the idea of a rain sheet monogrammed !!!! coolers are still really beautiful and classy prizes but a rain sheet is much more practical especially in the summer horse shows !!

JLC7898
Sep. 13, 2009, 06:54 PM
Love Copper1's idea. A rain sheet would be a nifty thing to win! Any kind of horsewear would be appreciated i am sure. So many to choose from scrims,irish knits,quarter sheets! I love quarter sheets!

Duckz
Sep. 13, 2009, 07:52 PM
The kids might say "groan, another cooler" but here's one A/A who would LOVE to win a cooler. It is a goal of mine that has yet to be completed. :winkgrin: :yes:

Wish I had the problem of too many coolers when I was a junior :rolleyes: As an a/a who FINALLY won her first cooler this year, I agree it's a great prize. The embroidered directors chair would be a really neat prize too.

Btw, I'm trying to picture the winner's photo session with the Lifeshade. Muffy the pony rolling her eyes and snorting at the horse-eating prize? Susie the junior confused by winning a lamp shade? Ahhh priceless :lol:

sandstar
Sep. 13, 2009, 09:49 PM
Love my champion directors chair...goes to every horse show.
Becomes part of our barn set up...and...never a probelm if you get more than one!!! everyone needs a place to sit.

also love nice saddle rack with brass plate..also always has a place.