PDA

View Full Version : Need new bridle - Smartpak

Ty2003
Sep. 12, 2009, 10:43 AM
So my horse broke his bridle yesterday after he had a hissy fit at the mounting block with another rider. I chalk it up to the sudden onset of very cool, wet weather and the fact that he's young, but we did have a "come to Jesus" meeting last night when I went to ride him. :)

Anyway, I'm secretly glad he broke the bridle, which was "ok" but not my favorite piece of tack. Fortunately it wasn't an expensive one. Although I should NOT be spending the money right now, it's clear I "need" to (lol) and it's a perfect excuse to buy one of those new Smartpak bridles I've had my eye on. I live about an hour from the Smartpak store, and I have a 20% in-store coupon but I don't know which one to get....the lower end bridle for $49 (??) (just in case he decides to be an idiot again and something breaks) or the middle-level bridle for $109. I really like the fact that the mid-range bridle has raised reins. What has everyone's experience been so far with these two bridles?

I do have a Butet and it's somewhat light colored (it was oiled but it's not super, super dark) so I'd like the bridle to match as well as it can. Thanks in advance for any insight/feedback!

spmoonie
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:26 AM
I would not go for the cheap bridle just because I dont like the really thin noseband and brow band. My choice would be either the Mid range one (109ish) or the one with the wide noseband.

Another thought might be ebay. I bought a brand new edgewood wide noseband bridle a few weeks ago for just $150. Then, you would still have that Smart Pak coupon which would mean you would HAVE to use it on something else (double the stuff!!!)....:winkgrin:

akhunterrider
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
There is a thread about the smartpak bridles on here if you search for it. I think overall people have been pretty happy with them though.

I would probably go for the 49$ one, but that's because I don't show and I'm all about cheaper things that still look nice.

smm20
Sep. 12, 2009, 02:19 PM
I have the $49 one for schooling and I love it. My horse is fine with the thinner noseband and straps and it doesn't rub. I prefer a thinner, unpadded bridle for schooling, since it is very hot where I live and bridles get sweaty and dirty. A thinner noseband without padding is much easier to clean well on a daily basis.

The color was darker than I expected when it arrived, but I like dark and I oiled it even darker. Since you will be going to the store, you can always look at the color before you buy.

Ty2003
Sep. 12, 2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I did see the other thread awhile back...but wanted to start my own so that I could get some of you enablers to help me justify buying a new bridle. :) Although I like the idea of getting a good deal on ebay (I'm all about that!) and also using the coupon at the store, I just can't spend the money on extra stuff right now. If Mr. Pony hadn't broken my other bridle, I wouldn't even be looking...but like I said, I'm secretly glad he did. ;) Just don't tell my husband.

Bolero
Sep. 14, 2009, 05:06 PM
New Plymouth w/ padding! http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=7734

I'm going to HAVE to get one for schooling, if I can fit another piece of equipment in my locker :)