View Full Version : Spin off: what is the situation with schooling?

Sep. 11, 2009, 11:40 PM
Just a reminder I am 41 and have not spent much time around the pony ring since I was a senior in HS!!

I was at an A show 2 weekends ago to watch the ponies go. There was a warm up class it was judged, but I did not see ANYONE school the fences in the ring earlier in the morning. What is the deal?? Is schooling in the show ring no longer allowed? Are you suppossed to use the warm up class as your schooling?
About the time I outgrew the ponies they switched to "controlled schooling" or you had to pay to school and there were only so many people in the ring at once ( compared to BEFORE that when anyone and everyone from leadliners to jumpers schooled in the same ring at the same time!) has it changed once again? How do people get their real greenies around a course? I have ridden babies who need to jump a fence three or four time before they can do it well, that certainly would NOT work in a "warm up class" as refusals will get you sent out. What is the deal?

Sep. 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
Depends on the show.

The local shows I go to usually allow schooling the day before and the morning of over the set course. The A shows I go to usually have allowed schooling the day before and the morning of BUT they usually don't have the course set to show. I could be wrong but I think one time they let us hack in the show rings in the morning but didn't want us jumping. Could be wrong about that one.

As the rider/owner of some great horses with no stop I always liked shows where you couldn't school :) gave me a little advantage. But when I'm on a greenie you bet I'm praying there's schooling the night before. I don't always do it morning of even if allowed because I like to keep them a little sharp.

ETA: For the real greenies you take them to a schooling show that allows schooling. A horse should be able to jump around a course without schooling. I used to do eventing and they never allowed schooling of SJ.

Sep. 11, 2009, 11:58 PM
I think it really depends on the show. At the shows I go to, usually they have open schooling in the show rings early in the morning before the classes actually start. Then, during the day, you can do a judged warm up round like you mentioned. Also, the day before the show, they have controlled schooling or pay-to-school in the show rings. I think it works out pretty well. :)

Sep. 12, 2009, 12:17 AM
At the local or C shows they usually let you jump the course in the morning - for a fee of course. At the A shows, no way - maybe hacking. However it is usually such a zoo that I dont let my kids do it - I jump them around myself or have some of the medal/maclay type kids help me do the littler kids horses and ponies.

Sep. 12, 2009, 10:53 AM
I'm way old. Schooling over the actual show fences in the ring used to be absolutely forbidden. You could , however, often sneak a little schooling over the outside course...

Sep. 12, 2009, 11:34 AM
At the A shows around here, you can hack in the ring in the morning, but none of the jumps are set up yet. You get a judged warm-up trip, and thats it. It is an A show, so if your horse is ready for that, than they should be able to do the course without seeing it. I usually don't even do the warm-up trip cause the first time over jumps my horse usually jumps them AMAZINGLY, so I would rather those efforts be in one of my real trips.:)

At the smaller one day B and C shows around here, they will allow schooling over the jumps before every division. So if you want to bring a greenie to a rated show but still wanted to school the jumps, I would recommed one of these types of shows. However, these show typically don't have a warm-up trip.

Sep. 12, 2009, 12:36 PM
In general, the bigger the show the less chance you will be allowed to school in the actual ring and over the actual course before the class because A) there is no time in the schedual for that and B) it is assumed, as you go up thru the ranks, you can get the horse Pony around a course without having to practice the actual competition course or you would not be advancing to that level.

At most USEF A rateds, the ring is closed after the actual course is set the night before so it's ready to go early AM. Occaisionally you will be allowed in the ring in the morning but NOT to practice the actual show course, that is set only after schooling concludes. Usually each ring is available at some point for schooling BUT NOT WITH THE SHOW COURSE set up. Jumper rings are, of course, available for riders to walk the course prior to the start of the class but no schooling is allowed.

Local shows may vary, there are no rules governing this or tradition to adhere to. They do what they want.

If anybody has any aspirations to move up to the USEF rated levels, they do need to realize it's a show, not a schooling session, lessson or clinic. The horse needs to be able to go without practicing that course off just a few jumps in the warm up ring-that's a bit of an art that needs to be mastered as well, prepping the horse. The rider needs to master reading the course diagram and watching others go to plan a track and handle their own nerves without the crutch of practicing the course.

We keep saying it's more flatwork and basics and this is a good example of why-alot of the regular AA circuit horses and Ponies really don't jump much and they never practice the show course. They warm up and go in.

Sep. 12, 2009, 10:10 PM
It depends on the show. Some of the multi day A or AA shows have a schooling day earlier in the week, but not necessarily in the ring you will be showing in. Alternately, they might have a non rated division earlier in the week but again, not necessarily in the same ring. In our zone, it is unusual to have a ticketed warm up in the same ring prior to a rated division at an A or AA, I think they do it at HITS but not in Vermont.

In the winter - some of the shows do allow controlled schooling at the A's.

Our locals usually allow open schooling early in the morning on a show day

ETA - we frequently go to the locals early in the AM to school our greenies over the horseshow jumps, we like to do this so that they get the horseshow flavor without the expense of going to a big A until they are ready

Sep. 12, 2009, 11:30 PM
Interesting, back in the day ( LOl) we used to school in the ring we would show in early in the morning even at A and AA shows. We did not get to do this at DEvon, I do remember jumping around in the ring at Harrisburg but it might have been earlier in the week. And the same at Washington but again it might have been earlier in the week. thanks for the insight!