View Full Version : Am I the only one NOT getting nervous before showing??

Sep. 11, 2009, 10:30 PM
like the title says, i just don't get nervous. if I mess it up, oh well, i'll do better the next class. Does occasionally help if i get mad, tend to actually ride instead of la-de-da-ing all the way around 8 jumps.
anyone wiht me??

Sep. 11, 2009, 10:36 PM
I used to get nervous when I first started showing, but now I really could care. I have friends who turn into total wrecks and start to have mental break downs cause they get so nervous.

Sep. 11, 2009, 10:48 PM
I think I'm on the same boat. Even when I was younger I always got excited and ready to go but never as nervous as other kids. A very good friend of mine has terrible nerves and they alwaysss transfer to her horse. I think maybe I've been truly nervous twice in my riding career when I had a larrrge coarse (at the time) ahead of me that had not schooled well that I was worried about actually getting around.

I've always been very good at getting into my little bubble and staying calm and collected. ;-)

Sep. 11, 2009, 10:51 PM
I used to get terrible nerves, but now, Im in the same boat with you. Im usually pretty chill. :cool:

Sep. 11, 2009, 11:43 PM
I don't get nervous. I do on occassion get hopped up on coffee but never nervous.

Sep. 12, 2009, 12:01 AM
Me neither :D But then again, the VAST majority of the time I am showing greenies so am there for experience, not for competition.

Plus I'm not a super-competitive person anyway... and I have hundreds and hundreds of classes under my belt. That helps, lol.

Sep. 12, 2009, 08:34 AM
I used to get nervous when I wasn't confident in my ride but I've been showing for so long now its just not a big deal anymore. I also used to get a bit nervous on behalf of my students but no more.

Sep. 12, 2009, 08:51 AM
This is the first year I have not been nervous most of the time. My horse is a saint, and I have learned to calmly deal with whatever happens. Most of the time nothing happens. It's been very nice. There are 113 trips and seven flat classes in my ring today, so we might have a ring change and/or a time change. Whatever. Bring it on.

Sep. 12, 2009, 09:02 AM
Well, glad it's not just me..this is my first show season, and the first two i got really nervous, and then it was just eh, whatever. I'm sure it helps that i'm only at little schooling shows too lol. :lol:

Sep. 12, 2009, 09:48 AM
I don't think I have ever been nervous for a horse show. Sometimes I get pissed afterwards if I don't ride well. But never nervous.

Sep. 12, 2009, 09:51 AM
I'm not nervous about the actual showing. That's the fun part!
The part that makes me nervous is packing, shipping, getting to the ring, etc. - and then it's not really nervousness, just some tension. Once I'm on the horse and in the right place at the right time, I'm a happy camper :D

Go Fish
Sep. 12, 2009, 12:39 PM
I get nervous waiting around and then getting ready. Once I'm on the horse, that all disappears. I think it has something to do with my "A" personality and fear of being late.

Sep. 12, 2009, 12:42 PM
I get nervous waiting around and then getting ready. Once I'm on the horse, that all disappears. I think it has something to do with my "A" personality and fear of being late.

Yup same here if I get nervous. Once I am on the horse I am ready to go. I rarely get nervous anymore though. Its really just all for fun and riding your best!:yes:

Sep. 12, 2009, 01:13 PM
I've been doing this for about 30 years now, have done hunters and jumpers at all levels. Now, at middle age, I have a young WB who started showing this year, now doing the 3' hunters. I get nervous about giving her the ride she needs, but she's always really relaxed in the warm-up. Sometimes she gets a little nervous in the ring (stage fright), but once I'm cantering to the first jump, it's all business on my part, and either I have too much to think of to get nervous or, if the trip is going well, I'm having so much fun that there's no way I'll be nervous.

I like the OP's post -- especially for those of us who might be a little older and/or are not trying to qualify for anything -- if you make a mistake, it's okay. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. I just don't understand why the really nervous adults who melt down before every class would continue to show if it's so nerve wracking!