PDA

View Full Version : Sidesaddle Attire - wow! A lot of rules!

snaffle635
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:10 PM
The sidesaddle thread sparked my interest. Sidesaddle is so gorgeous...would love to try it sometime.

Sooo...I went to usef.org to check out the rules. Wow! There are a lot!

Do any of you show sidesaddle? Are you carrying your sandwich case and flask? Are you showing in a flat leather double bridle or pelham? Are you allowed to wear field boots?

Why are there so many rules? Do these rules pertain to all classes or only when formal attire is required? (I'm reading HU 129 and 130.)

Do any of you show sidesaddle in non-sidesaddle classes? If so, are the same rules to be followed regarding attire and tack?

TheOneandOnly
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:38 PM
Don't forget the extra pair of white gloves under the flap! I have a friend who shows sidesaddle regularly and I loooove to watch. She doesn't always carry a case at the smaller shows.

There are tales of judges actually pulling out the sandwich to check that its filled with the correct ingredients. Hahaha!

JRG
Sep. 12, 2009, 06:03 AM
I have to admit, I have a passion for one day trying sidesaddle and showing. But to conform to the specific rules, my pocket book is not that deep to buy all the gear required to be able to show.

Maybe someday.

MistyBlue
Sep. 12, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hunter classes used to require the rider to have a sandwich case and flask too. :winkgrin:
Never ever use a tunafish sandwich inside the case for hot weather shows. :eek: :lol: :o

SidesaddleRider
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
Do any of you show sidesaddle? Are you carrying your sandwich case and flask? Are you showing in a flat leather double bridle or pelham? Are you allowed to wear field boots?

Why are there so many rules? Do these rules pertain to all classes or only when formal attire is required? (I'm reading HU 129 and 130.)

Do any of you show sidesaddle in non-sidesaddle classes? If so, are the same rules to be followed regarding attire and tack?

There are so many rules because the u/s class is judged 25% on appointments, and the appointments are from correct, formal hunting attire in the USA in the early 20th century. All of the appointments are only required in the u/s class of the sidesaddle division. And yes, a flat pelham or double bridle is required in that class. No, field boots are not proper except for informal attire, and they should ONLY be brown. No zippers, either.

Yes, many show sidesaddle in non-sidesaddle classes. In that case, the common rule of thumb regarding attire is whatever an astride rider would wear, and then add a matching apron. No sandwich case/hunt whip/rain gloves, etc. necessary. However, safe tack should be used just as always (meaning only use a sidesaddle with a leaping head, and no elastic on the girth).

MHM
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:32 PM
What's the idea of using a pelham or double bridle all the time? What if your horse would prefer a snaffle? :confused:

Can you jump in a snaffle?

SidesaddleRider
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:42 PM
What's the idea of using a pelham or double bridle all the time? What if your horse would prefer a snaffle? :confused:

Can you jump in a snaffle?

Again, proper hunting attire/tack. You want to have BRAKES out hunting, and the double or pelham gives you that (remember, people hunted TBs in the early 20th century, so after you'd been on a full-speed gallop x-country it took a bit of "woah" to stop them usually). If your horse prefers a snaffle, then put a double bridle on them, and just ride off of the bridoon for the u/s class.

Yes, for the other 2 classes of the division (hunter hack and o/f), you can switch to whatever bridle you want. You will see a lot of people getting off and putting a fleece pad under their saddle and switching bridles after the u/s class.

MHM
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the info. :)

ilmjumper
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:14 AM
Wow! I went and looked at the rues too as i ride sidesaddle on my walking horses but even in our Authentic Classes we're not as hard core as that! Glad I checked it out, I'd been think about trying a class once my gelding got some more miles on him but it'll have to be WAY in the future to get all that extra equipment!

MyGiantPony
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:18 AM
Just an FYI for those of you considering SS - don't let the big list discourage you.

A lot of the girls have multiples and are very generous about loaning appointments to help newbies get started.

Get stuff as you can and build up your collection, and don't be shy about asking for help as you come along...