PDA

View Full Version : How often do you do a warm up class or schooling round?

pony4me
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:05 PM
Does your trainer prefer you do these all the time, or just when the situation warrants? Some horses obviously need some ring time before showing, others seem ok without it. On a hot day, at a long show, I'd prefer to skip it. Pros and cons, please? Thanks!

dghunter
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:24 PM
Always do it. I get nervous so it definitely helps me :yes:

HowDoILook
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:39 PM
I have to do one. Even though my horse will pack lil' kids around all day, with me he likes to play games. So I like to make sure there are no pony eating monsters :eek::eek::eek: underneath the jumps. usually the more plain the jump, the scarier :confused::confused:

SkipChange
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:45 PM
Well I dont do much hunters or eq these days but it really depended on the horse for me.

With the trusty old mare, never a warm up trip. The mare was perfect and it was a waste of time, money, and energy. I would rather just start out with the pressure on :)

With any of the 3 OTTBs I showed the past few years I always did a schooling round for the first division of the day (if we showed jumpers in the morning we didn't do a warm-up for hunters later in the day when it was HOT).

I do really like to get a feel for the course, how quick turns come up, how the lines ride, get the spook out of the greenie, make sure they haven't done something stupid like set an oxer backwards (this happened once and they refused to change it because the division had already started, said we must continue as set).

Duckz
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:46 PM
I prefer my horse backed off to the fences, otherwise he tends to roll down the lines and casually leave out a stride. No warm up round for us! :lol:

spmoonie
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:54 PM
I dont really care either way, however, typically I prefer to go in without one. I like to get a feel for the lines and such, but at the same time, My guy gets really "hyped up" after about 2 courses, so the fewer, the better! :winkgrin:

supershorty628
Sep. 12, 2009, 08:26 AM
I usually do a level class the day before my division starts, but that's more for my benefit than for my horse's.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:21 AM
Usually I only put riders in a warm up or schooling class if we're at a venue we aren't familiar with so that rider and horse can learn their ring a bit.

I usually show the jumpers early in the week so that they can see the jumps and get a little tune up and then their owners do their stuff fri-sun.