PDA

View Full Version : Tredstep half chaps

LauraAU
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:46 PM
Other than the zipper being in the back on the Pro-Gaiter and on the side on the Deluxe, does anyone know of any major difference between these two tredstep half chaps? Getting these for a rider friend, so from a rider standpoint which would you prefer?

BAC
Sep. 11, 2009, 03:35 PM
Aren't the Pro Gaiter the smooth leather ones that are meant to give the impression of tall boots? If so I just don't care for that look. I have 2 pairs of the Deluxe (black and brown) and a pair of suede Tredsteps and love them all although I find the suede ones wear down and become rather slick on the inside of the calf. The Deluxe ones seem much grippier IMO, my black ones are about 5 years old and still in good condition although they are looking a little bit worn.

rockfordbuckeye
Sep. 13, 2009, 08:44 PM
I have the pro-Gaiter and totally totally DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM. The button is on the inside and presses against the horse/saddle when you ride and left me enormous bruises/welts on my legs. I can't imagine how the design could be so stupid and how I could be so stupid to not realize the placement there would be a problem. Save yourself my misery! :)

reefy!
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:02 PM
And they are finally dying a slow death after 3 years of a lot of use!

I love them, just being cheap by not replacing them but would absolutely get them again. The snaps at the bottom are not great (at least they weren't, hoping they have been improved - they broke quickly after a few rides way back when - didn't affect the use of them at all, just annoying).

Monarch
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:41 AM
Has anyone tried their new Profile or Victory with the stretched milled leather?
If so likes, dislikes?
M

Skip's Rider
Sep. 14, 2009, 10:54 AM
I have the Pro-Gaiters and love them. I've worn them daily for about 2 years so far. They look more like tall boots than the Deluxe. The leather is black, black, black, and is smooth. The Deluxe chaps have a texture, so they do not appear as shiny or black. The Deluxe chaps also have a "hood" over the top of the foot whereas the Gaiters are open there. Most people can't tell that I'm wearing half chaps until they get really close.

I just ordered a pair of the Profile chaps from SmartPak. I'd like to save my Gaiters for showing in not-so-great weather when I don't want to wear my field boots.

touchstone-
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:16 PM
I am a huge fan of the deluxes. They're really comfy, attractive and have held up really well. Perhaps it's just my own awkwardness, but I find the rear zip models to be sort of unwieldy to get on and off.

NeverEnd
Sep. 14, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'm think of Treadsteps too. How do the back zippers wear versus the side zipper???? I want back zippers, but wonder if they wrinkle down over use??? Any comments on that aspect?

reefy!
Sep. 14, 2009, 04:22 PM
I guess it depends on what look your friend wants - more of a tall boot or just an every day half chap.

Pro is more tall boot looking, deluxe is a top notch every day chap.

maresrule
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:49 AM
I have had a pair of the Tredstep Gaiters for 4 years and they are wearing great. I don't understand the complaint about the snap being in the wrong place - it has never bothered me. I love the refined style and quality of the leather. Plus the zipper is not gigantic but has held up really well. (The Ariat zipper is so huge! I hate that.) Before this pair of Tredsteps I had another pair that lasted 8 years!!!! I would definitely buy another pair of Tredsteps.

EAY
Sep. 15, 2009, 08:59 AM
I'm also a fan of the deluxes, and though I've had problems with the top snaps they've worn so much better than the pair of Ariat close contacts that I had previously.

Skip's Rider
Sep. 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
I'm think of Treadsteps too. How do the back zippers wear versus the side zipper???? I want back zippers, but wonder if they wrinkle down over use??? Any comments on that aspect?

My back zippers have not wrinkled down with use. They don't zip so great when they get dirty though.

Skip's Rider
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:29 PM
Has anyone tried their new Profile or Victory with the stretched milled leather?
If so likes, dislikes?
M

Well, the Profile half chaps arrived, and I must say I'm disappointed. They were a bit bulky -- like many of the other brands I've tried. The outer side of the leather is much like that on the Deluxe half chaps. The inside is completely lined with the "stretch" material. This is why they felt bulky. They definitely are thicker than my friend's Deluxe and my Gaiter half chaps. They did appear to be well made though.

Here's the kicker on this order. The packaging listed them as 15 (calf) x 16 (height) like I ordered. However, the tag inside the chaps has the manufacturer's printed size (16 x 16) crossed out and 15 x 16 hand written in with a Sharpie. They most definitely are NOT 15 x 16. I've had 3 pairs of 15 x 16 chaps, and they've fit me perfectly. These are too big. Even if they fit, I would still send them back though. The price is great, but it's no bargain if I don't like them.

ETA: Another thing I didn't like was that there was a flap held down by velcro over the side zipper. This also significantly added to the bulk of the chaps. Plus, over time the velcro won't stick anymore, and you'll be stuck with a flap.

SOTB
Sep. 20, 2009, 09:29 PM
Ok, due to all of the recommendations on Coth, I just orderd the deluxes. My Ariat half chaps are destroyed at this point so I hope these hold up better. Now I'm ready for them to arrive!

LauraAU
Sep. 21, 2009, 04:34 PM
I also ordered the Deluxes this morning. Hopefully they will work out well and hold up for a good while.