PDA

View Full Version : Why are people so unknowlegable?

Hunter Mom
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:58 AM
I am shopping for a saddle for DD. I saw a decent looking Ovation on eBay, but it looked like it had suede knee rolls. I asked how old it was - their answer was 1.5 years, and that, yes, the knee rolls were suede. HMMMM... I checked with a local tack store that has sold Ovations for years and the owners said they never remember them coming with/being available with suede, especially so recently. Sigh. Why can't saddle shopping be simple?

TheRedFox
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:02 AM
Are you shopping for a child's saddle or an older girl's saddle?

Hunter Mom
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:04 AM
Are you shopping for a child's saddle or an older girl's saddle?

15". She's using trainer's old PDN right now, and we love the leg it gives her, but want knee rolls to add some security for her.

TheRedFox
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Sounds like this is going to be a saddle that she can take with her into adulthood if she wants. I was her age when I got my "adult saddle". I know she must be very excited.

I hope that you are able to find exactly what you are looking for.

:-)

TheRedFox
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
My bad, I thought she was 15 yo, didnt see the " next to 15. Regardless, good luck in your search. My first saddle was a crosby pdn...wonderful saddle.

ReSomething
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:54 AM
I am shopping for a saddle for DD. I saw a decent looking Ovation on eBay, but it looked like it had suede knee rolls. I asked how old it was - their answer was 1.5 years, and that, yes, the knee rolls were suede. HMMMM... I checked with a local tack store that has sold Ovations for years and the owners said they never remember them coming with/being available with suede, especially so recently. Sigh. Why can't saddle shopping be simple?

Maybe it's hot, ie stolen.

Hope you are able to find a suitable saddle!

Long Spot
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:59 AM
Could be more of a fib than unknowledgable...

Hope you find just the right one for her!

Mach Two
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:04 PM

Saddle shopping is full of questions, and sometimes the questions come from folks who are not much more knowledgable...and it could be the padded flaps on that saddle have been roughed up, making them look suede. I have been out of the saddle business for enough years I don't know how Ovation offered saddle choices as to knee flaps, but I can't think of any mid range or better saddles in the past 10 years that come with suede inserts on the padded flap.

For your own reference, the part on the top that you see is not the knee roll, it is the flap. UNDER the flap is the knee roll. Suede does not help all that much, but adding a dab of Saddletite or other sticky substance to the riders calf DOES. Sticky at the knee teaches a rider to pinch and grip with the knee...not good riding.
Good luck with shopping, and a plain PDN or Prix de Saute or one of the other copies of the Hermes Steinkraus is excellent for young students. they learn to ride without counting on the saddle holding them on. ;)

TheRedFox
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:21 PM
Mach, I could not agree with you more on the padding issue.

I didnt say anything because she didnt ask for imput but what you said is so important for novice saddle shoppers and new riders to know. I personally cant stand the padding on a saddle but I hardly ever see new saddles at the tack shop without it. The last thing any rider wants to do, be them young or old, is to pinch with the knee and pivot from that joint. Close contact with the lower leg is what makes good riders GOOD riders. I can understand that the padding was placed on saddles to add additional comfort but not intended for helping with grip...that's what suede full chaps are for.

Ozone
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:27 PM
Well to some horse people a saddle is just a saddle that they ride in. They ride in it without fit to them or the horse. That is how people can be unknowldgable, it is not thier fault, they just don't care all that much to know what they have saddle wise.

We all know that us COTHers are all about our saddles and how they fit.

I remember when I was young throwing a saddle on the horse and riding without even for a second thinking about my horse and I.

Hunter Mom
Sep. 11, 2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks - I know better, but was tryign to do too many things while posting. My trainer really wants her to have a saddle with knee rolls, or I'd find her a pancake saddle (also what I learned in, but love my newer saddle very much). HER saddle is out there - just to find it now.

TheRedFox
Sep. 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'm sure you will find the perfect thing for her. It might take some time and leg work but it will be worth it.

:-)

showponies
Sep. 11, 2009, 05:23 PM
Not sure of your location, but you can go on the internet ... Ricks Heritage Saddlery..They have tons of used saddles and New...Their staff should be able to point you in any direction..

indygirl2560
Sep. 11, 2009, 07:18 PM
Saddle shopping can be rough. It took me months until I found a saddle and it was worth the wait. Is there a local tack store you could poke around in just to get some advice?

My first saddle was a Crosby Hunterdon. My trainer wanted me to get a saddle with knee rolls too, but she ok'd that one because it worked well for me. It made me sit perfectly and I didn't have any problems jumping in it either. It was not the most comfortable saddle but I'd recommend it to any young rider learning to achieve proper position. Good luck with your search!

mvp
Sep. 11, 2009, 09:00 PM
Don't be hatin' on the idiots.

Let them go there way, and every once in a while, you will find one on Ebay who really doesn't know what they have.

Besides, the tone of the original post comes off as a little elitist. You (and all of us) are likely to find ourselves in a situation where we also don't know what we don't know and make some really stupid remarks. If the non-pro Ebayer is selling something, it's not like they "owe you" deep knowledge of their product, IMO.

Caveat emptor, but leave the other guy alone.

Huntrs+eq
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:10 PM
"Unknowlegable"? Perchance you mean "unknowledgeable". :winkgrin: :yes: Heh, couldn't resist...Anyway, I second the Rick's Heritage Saddlery suggestion--no personal experience but they seem to be well reputed. Also, Beval has a listing of used saddles online.

thegirlwonder
Sep. 14, 2009, 08:47 AM
A great saddle that Beval no longer makes, but makes an equivalent to is the Caramel Devon 2000. I had one for years in a med. tree and it fit everything from tiny ponies to larger horses. My cousin now uses hers, transferred from her old TB to her new Appendix. They are truly hard to find (the real Caramel Devon 2000). On Ebay you will see Devon 2000, but its so old and musty looking. The true Caramel Devon 2k has a very soft seat, nearly always has soft plush knee pads and does not look like a re-issue PDN, which some of the older Devons do. They now produce the "Beval Devon", but my recommendation if she's looking for something to take into adult hood is a 16" Caramel Devon 2k. Beautiful, comfortable, and always an easy fit.