PDA

View Full Version : Sidesaddle

DancingQueen
Sep. 11, 2009, 01:11 AM
saw it live for the first time Sunday at Spring Valley. They jumped a whole course!
Ehh at least two of them did.

Either way. I was appalled by how one of the ladies caught her horse in them mouth over every jump. I was equally impressed by how one of the contestants managed to pretty much stay out of her horses way and give a pretty good release even though her horse was very green.

They said over the speakers that it's pretty much a common modern day misnomer that it's hard to ride side saddle. That in WW1 when the kavallery was still a factor in most armies the soldiers would slap a side saddle on a wild horse since they are almost impossible to fall out of!

I got a little bit intrigued by the whole thing. Don't take me wrong. I do what I do because I'm good at it and I have no desire to suck at anything else. I'm still curious on the whole deal though.

Seems like they were all riding with pretty long reins, maybe to be able to follow the horse since they can't get all up in their kitchen the way we do?

I'd love to ride in a side saddle some time just to try it out. It looks pretty cool and I love the dress up part!

Brown Horse
Sep. 11, 2009, 03:53 AM
Sidesaddles pretty damn hard in my opinion...
I've tried it b/c my trainer is a qualified sidesaddle judge, and we'll have fun sidesaddle days every once in a while. Like I said, I think it's pretty damn hard. It's soooo different. I don't see how it's "impossible" to fall out of one of those things!! The seat is so flat and there's really nothing to grip.

Their reins were long b/c you sit so much further back when riding aside than you do normally.

imnotclever
Sep. 11, 2009, 09:42 AM
I've only ridden sidesaddle once, but was absolutely shocked at how secure I felt. The leaping horn really allows you to grip with your legs. I would absolutely love to take up riding sidesaddle regularly, but the saddles are expensive!

StellaTMK
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:12 PM
If you were at the spring valley show, then you may be close to the USET. Tomorrow there will be a USEF "C" sidesaddle show and $2000 Ladies Hunter Sidesaddle division with a reception afterwards. Come over to check it out!! SUnday is an unrated all sidesaddle show as well.

TheOneandOnly
Sep. 11, 2009, 01:43 PM
Ive tried it and even jumped a couple of small fences. And my back was in knots for weeks :yes: I had fun, but had an issue with my hips rotating, especially at the canter, and I found myself practically sitting sideways a few times. :lol: As for the long reigns, you're right, a sidesaddle sits you a lot farther back on the horses back and that combined with the horn being jabbed into your stomach their needs to be some slack so the horse can actually jump. I found the later half of the jump to be the most difficult :eek:

gottagrey
Sep. 11, 2009, 01:53 PM
They have to ride w/ long reins. The saddle has a "Leaping head" which is somewhat like a saddle horn but larger which you wrap your right leg around - the reins have to long enough to accommodate that. If a horse has a good jumping form (round, bascule) then it's hard to sit to; best/most comfortable side saddle horses are like equitation horses flat jumpers. I've not seen side saddle in awhile but there are some really very good side saddle riders out there - Penny Denegre, Susan Sisco, Jaye Younkers, Kit Rosko(sp?) used to be (and probably still are) some of the best to watch - sorry to any other ladies who compete regularly - I've been out of the loop for awhile..

MyGiantPony
Sep. 11, 2009, 02:25 PM
Penny Denegre, Susan Sisco, Jaye Younkers, Kit Rosko(sp?) used to be (and probably still are) some of the best to watch - sorry to any other ladies who compete regularly - I've been out of the loop for awhile..

Those gals are all good, but Devon Zebrovious is the only one I'd put on my horse, especially to jump. She's amazing. Never seen anyone as soft as she is over the jumps.

KaraAD
Sep. 11, 2009, 02:50 PM
Also, Carolyn Desfor. She really impressed me a year or two ago at Devon.

I've tried it a few times and I would love to really learn side saddle but finding a saddle to fit me and my large warmblood seems tricky.

MyGiantPony
Sep. 11, 2009, 02:59 PM
Also, Carolyn Desfor. She really impressed me a year or two ago at Devon.

I've tried it a few times and I would love to really learn side saddle but finding a saddle to fit me and my large warmblood seems tricky.

Carolyn comes by it honestly. Her mom was MY coach...Margaret learned SS from her trainer when she lived on Long Island...trainer gave all her gorgeous habits to Margaret, she has passed them on to Carolyn.

I'll never forget how excited and happy Margaret was for me when I bought my Whippy for a song....the gleam in her eye was just unforgettable. :D

SprinklerBandit
Sep. 11, 2009, 03:37 PM
I've always always wanted to try that. I've never even seen a sidesaddle rider in person, though. *sigh*

Unprovoked92
Sep. 11, 2009, 03:59 PM
I've borrowed my female farrier's side saddle (with leaping head) to ride in for a few weeks. It was really fun, my OTTB/Dressage/Event Horse of 13 years, took to it easily. Cantering felt fairly unsecure, but walk/trot was pretty easy. I also rode a "trained" side saddle arab mare in a pre-civil war side saddle (NO leaping head) and felt extremely comfortable to w/t/c.

The big difference was the fit...the pre-civil war saddle fit the mare perfectly and was built for a small rider. The newer saddle did not fit my OTTB as well and was made for a much taller person than I! My farrier said that if you have a correctly fitted side saddle it is like sitting in a bucket....an ill-fitted side saddle is like sitting on a teeter-totter

equitationlane
Sep. 11, 2009, 04:10 PM
I will never forget the two Hoffman girls, Judy (Richter) and Carol (Thompson) showing in the four foot division at DEVON! Truly an amazing feat.