PDA

View Full Version : Appaloosa World Show, Pre-greens: trot changes allowed?

flyracing
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
So I have a horse that qualified for worlds in the pre-greens that does not have any idea of what flying changes are. He obviously qualified (and won his classes) this summer with trot changes, but will we be laughed out of the ring at worlds? He won't change lead over the fences either so that is not a viable solution :no:. This is his first year of jumping (older horse) and is very good over the fences and about covering ground.

grandprixjump
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:17 PM
From what I saw, if you get around the course, without looking like your about to fall off, you will win. Sorry to say this but I was very disappointed with the horses showing in the jumpers and hunters. I grew up showing App's 30 years ago, and the number and quality was a far sight better...

ToTheNines
Sep. 11, 2009, 04:38 AM
The World show is actually the only one where you see some good hunters. They do an excellent job with the courses and the arena is fabulous. It is fun, but a long climb for a short slide. I am used to the H/J shows, where you get lots of classes. For the World show, you get just one (two more if you can go in the non pro). No warm up class. The warm up is a ticketed warm up over the actual course in the wee hours of the morning. There is no warmup jump in the holding area, and the warm up ring is teeny tiny and the footing in it is atrociously deep.

However, the winning rounds are going to be pretty good. You are going to need your lead changes. In fact, the judges are old western farts, the same ones who do all the other classes, and they do not know how to judge hunters. They can see lead changes though! So they are very quick to reward smooth changes or a horse that lands on its leads. They will pin a good lead changer over a horse whose changes are not quite as smooth but is a better jumper.

I had a cool mare that could sure truck around, but she had a horrible jump. Could not get her knees up and out in front. As I recall, she won the pre-green at the World fairly recently.

They will penalize you a lot for breaking to a trot.

flyracing
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys! This horse was just sent to me this week to prep and ride at the worlds (regular rider is youth and rides in any event he has a saddle for :eek:) and they are wanting to sell the horse and therefore are hoping for a good world show result. The horse does have a competitive (AA level) jump and is good between the fences, but he was never taught changes and I have just over 6 weeks to make this all-around horse a hunter :D. We will be going for just one class since I am an open rider.

Due's Mom
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:03 AM
Are there any REAL appies left out there?

What we have down here are primarily QH with spots or Non colored Apps.

I can't even find any for sale.

I Used to have a app that was foundation bred ( 30 years ago) who did well in the lower rated H/J shows.

shawneeAcres
Sep. 11, 2009, 01:42 PM
Are there any REAL appies left out there?

What we have down here are primarily QH with spots or Non colored Apps.

I can't even find any for sale.

I Used to have a app that was foundation bred ( 30 years ago) who did well in the lower rated H/J shows.

Yep! Come to my farm and see them! www.shawnacreeacres.net Lots that I don't have pics of on the website though (NOT selling any so don't bother to say this is a thinly veiled sales ad!)

Mardi
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
There's a foundation Appy registry, to preserve the original breed and type.
www.foundationApp.org

The QH people started one a few years ago too.
http://www.fqhrregistry.com/

drawstraws
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:01 PM
I think if it felt like I wasn't going to get the change I'd continue on the wrong one instead of trotting. It would at least look smoother, and make things a little less discombobulated coming into the next line.

I have a greenie too (5 year old) that we're trying to get finished enough for Junior Hunter Hack. I'm a little concerned about the 2'9" height for the second fence as he's comfortable 2'3" to 2'6" but since we just started jumping the beginning of July I don't want to scare him. I think it'll be an "enter the class and scratch if he's not ready" situation. But I'm hoping since there aren't too many junior horses if he can give us two good fences we should be in the top five placings. I'm not going to do the Non Pro though, I'm just not ready myself!

Anyway, what's the horse's name? I'll be sure to come cheer you on!

kaluha2
Sep. 12, 2009, 10:21 PM
flyracing:

You have roughly 6 weeks before the show. I qualified and placed a mare back in the 80's and I fully agree with whoever said the judges don't understand the finer points of judging a hunter but sure know if the horse is on the correct lead or not.

Place two rails on the ground and canter over these in a tight figure 8 stepping into the inside stirrup for that lead. He will get it pretty quickly or at least should if he has any balance in him. Then transfer this to over the top of the fence and he will land on the correct lead. He just needs to know he can do this.

This circuit is very different from the A hunter circuit but it is much more relaxed and you'll meet alot of fun people there. I hope you have a great time and good luck.