PDA

View Full Version : I'm Buying A Lead-Line Pony

LockeMeadows
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:40 PM
Right now, I feel like a bad mother. I don't have a crib yet, or really anything for a baby for that matter. However, I found a lead-line pony tonight and DH said yes! Said pony is actually a section B mini, palomino with a beautiful blaze and hind socks; excellent conformation and a lovely head. She's had kids crawl all over her and is safe, safe, safe. What more could a mom ask for?

hellerkm
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:43 PM
Right now, I feel like a bad mother. I don't have a crib yet, or really anything for a baby for that matter. However, I found a lead-line pony tonight and DH said yes! Said pony is actually a section B mini, palomino with a beautiful blaze and hind socks; excellent conformation and a lovely head. She's had kids crawl all over her and is safe, safe, safe. What more could a mom ask for?

OH my gosh that is WAYYYY too funny!!! And I am sure you will be happy with your purchase! Cribs are nice, ponies are better!!!

spmoonie
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:44 PM
Any pictures?! :D

NeverEnd
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:59 PM
Yes share pictures! Too funny!

I'm as bad. Admittedly, it's crossed my mind that I "could" keep my 2 yr old 12.1h Welsh for when I "hypothetically" have kids! It really would be win-win: I get to keep him and my kid gets sucked into the horse world from birth! HAHA!

amylmac
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:40 PM
I bought my grandaughter her pony when the kid was 3 mos old. Her two yo brother rides her now. That pony is the BEST! ( I did buy the crib also)

Noctis
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
Well you MUST send her down to me to have Sadie get her ready :D All 21mo of her is riding in the walk/halt division at a local show plus leadline lol. Now convince MY hubby that we need a leadline pony...please?!

DancingQueen
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:55 PM
A pink GPA and matching show-bows? LOL!

Congrats on getting your first pony!

tBHj
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:56 PM
Too funny! I don't ever want kids, but I want a pony. My SO tells me I can get a pony when he has a baby. Looks like I will never have a pony. :(

Timex
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:58 PM
I don't know, sounds perfectly normal to me. What does that say about me? Lol

katerenee
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:07 PM
The Ex B/F's daughter had a pony waiting in the field the day after he officially asked me to be his G/F. I was w/ him for 4 years. Have been able to still see her for a couple more years after we broke it off. She just moved 1000 miles away and now I have three ponies and no rider:sadsmile:

And yes! Bring on the pictures!

RumoursFollow
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:54 PM
Oh heck, my youngest is about to "age out" of his crib and he just turned 2! The pony is a much better longterm investment, obviously! My daughter got hers right after she turned two... mostly because I had to pay board on it and it took me that long to convince my husband that it was the "wise choice." HAHA!

Congrats and best wishes to you!

Limerick
Sep. 10, 2009, 11:02 PM
Congrats!!!!!! I think you're very wise-photos with ponies are SO much cuter than photos with cribs. The baby books are going to be terrific!!! :D

pony grandma
Sep. 10, 2009, 11:28 PM
Count ME in!! :D I am the perfect enabler.

LOVE, PONY GRANDMA :lol:

wesierobb
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:27 AM
BRILLIANT!! I so very much approve! I waited until the granddaughter was 7 to get her the first pony, and regret it to this day. What a waste of time....and now she is too big for the cute itty bitty ones... (But we have, um, several ponies...............er, make that 4..........)

BUY IT! Cribs are overrated.

Indy
Sep. 11, 2009, 06:53 AM
Right now, I feel like a bad mother.

Bad mother? You sound like the best mother ever! Ponies always trump cribs. Does the kid really need a crib when she has pony? Surely she can sleep on the couch or something :winkgrin:

dancingequestrian85
Sep. 11, 2009, 07:36 AM
pictures pictures pictures!

Pretty sure that getting a pony for your kid makes you the best mom ever actually... ;)

showmom858
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:48 AM
Cribs are overrated! Ponies stay around much longer. Just a word of caution though.

Ponies are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

BAC
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:51 AM
You can buy a crib any time, but a good first pony is priceless and you have to grab one when you find it. I'm glad you have your priorities straight. :D :lol:

blueskye
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
i trained an itty bitty American Shetland who was purchased as a yearling... two years before the owner's had their first baby!

llsc
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:34 PM
Cribs are overrated! Ponies stay around much longer. Just a word of caution though.

Ponies are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

They are like potato chips. I started with 1 and now have 6. Ouch. But I love, love, love my ponies. They are the absolute best!

I completely support your purchase of a pony for your unborn child. You have your priorties straight. Heck my husband slept in a dresser drawer when he was born, because his parents couldn't afford a crib and he turned out ok-ish.

hellerkm
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:50 PM
They are like potato chips. I started with 1 and now have 6. Ouch. But I love, love, love my ponies. They are the absolute best!

I completely support your purchase of a pony for your unborn child. You have your priorties straight. Heck my husband slept in a dresser drawer when he was born, because his parents couldn't afford a crib and he turned out ok-ish.

ISH??? never tell a pregnant mother ISH!!

JinxyFish313
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:50 PM
^ok-ish hahaha :)

Mom of the year status for you OP. I had a pony ready for me when I was born...but his legs were attached to wooden rockers.

I think you should call the pony "Baby Blues"

OneMoreTime
Sep. 11, 2009, 01:32 PM
My thinking w/DD was that she could always co-sleep in the bed with us, but she could NOT ride my 17hh ottb. Pony trumps crib, yet again!

Congrats all around.

KaraAD
Sep. 11, 2009, 02:58 PM

Sounds normal to me too! Cribs and strollers and that stuff are easy to find - they sell those all over the place. Finding the perfect safe (and adorable) lead line pony takes time and effort! In fact, it's good you are so well prepared! Sounds like you're going to be a great mom - to both the pony and the baby!

PicturePerfectPonies
Sep. 11, 2009, 05:50 PM
Don't worry i did the same thing. Not only for my son but when i found out my sister in law was pregnant i went out and found another small pony for her daughter. Then when money got tight i sold my TB and kept the 2 ponies.

HunterJumperLuv
Sep. 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
Trust me, I've already picked out pony names for the theoretical pony that I'm going to buy for my theoretical child. (Seeing as how thats probably 10 years away, I just call it good planning.) It makes you a great mom!

One of my friends bought a large (probably) green unbroken pony two year old, that shes training for when she eventually has kids!

MintHillFarm
Sep. 11, 2009, 08:19 PM
OH my gosh that is WAYYYY too funny!!! And I am sure you will be happy with your purchase! Cribs are nice, ponies are better!!!

Love it! Good for you. You'll be a great Mom! Sounds like something my Mom would have done.

You can always get a crib, but lead line ponies that are dependable and do their job well are way harder to find.

Please post pictures!!

Gry2Yng
Sep. 11, 2009, 08:52 PM
Agree with MintHill. Cribs are easy. Good ponies are worth their weight. DD is 25 months. Today she said "Ride, Ride, Ride." Working on fencing a new pasture. Pony comes shortly after that. As a mom, you ROCK!

Mia412
Sep. 11, 2009, 09:19 PM
Really, what answer did you expect from us COTH enablers?

Cribs you can buy anywhere, super lead line ponies are much harder to find! (Plus if it was me it would give me an excuse to get a cart and drive the pony, which is something I've always wanted to do!)

showponies
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:23 PM
You are being a GREAT pony mom!! We had an over sized mini pal. gelding for my daughter, before we bought the crib......

Justice
Sep. 12, 2009, 01:03 PM
Shoo-in for Mom of the Year!

I think that's wonderful. Have you had the baby yet? Is it your first?

I remember waiting on COTH for my first to arrive. There were some excellent suggestions to try to get my little pony rider to come out once my due date had passed. I was a little frantic during my pregnancy because I stopped riding (and still haven't gotten back in the saddle), but was blessed to have a trainer with 2 young ones who assured me that the horses would always be there, but that babies have a way of growing up awfully quickly.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy this most precious time in your life. I don't know about everyone else, but I blinked, and my oldest started kindergarten.

I vote for a Thelwell nursery! Grandparents LOVE buying cribs.

trina1
Sep. 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have three kids and four ponies and am always shopping for more ponies - "to grow into"...