PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Barn needed in the DC Metro area

Darkstar
Sep. 10, 2009, 07:12 PM
Hi,
I'm actually a Polo player and H/J rider (so have no clue in this area) - but a friend recently moved to the DC area (she works in the city and is living in Nova). She is looking for barns + lessons in dressage.

I instantly thought of the many Cothers who would know of barns they could recommend.

As far as I know, she mainly wants a lesson barn for now and maybe sometime in the future will lease/buy a horse.

Anyone have any good recommendations? Websites or contacts would be appreciated!

YankeeLawyer
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:59 PM
I am not sure about the availability of horses for lessons at these farms, but Mary Flood at Wildfire Farm in Lovettsville, VA is excellent, and I also recommend Lauren Spreiser in Marshall, VA (who posts as Dressagediosa here).

In addition, Terry Smith in Bluemont has a wonderful facility; she teaches and also has a top notch young German trainer teaching at her farm. Her farm is Riverside Equestrian; she posts here as Bellfleur.

CapitolDesign
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:09 PM
Potomac Riverside has dressage horses you can "rent" for individual lessons at a great price. I have taught students on these horses and it is a nice way to have a horse to work with without the commitment of a full lease.

I am over there 2-3 times a week to teach, if you are interested in dressage lessons.

YankeeLawyer
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:19 PM
Potomac Riverside has dressage horses you can "rent" for individual lessons at a great price. I have taught students on these horses and it is a nice way to have a horse to work with without the commitment of a full lease.

I am over there 2-3 times a week to teach, if you are interested in dressage lessons.

Where is Potomac Riverside? That might be good for me too to have a break from riding babies all the time. TY

CapitolDesign
Sep. 11, 2009, 07:30 AM
Potomac Riverside is like 2 miles north of Poolesville, MD town center. www.potomacriversidestables.com

NeverTime
Sep. 11, 2009, 08:12 AM
Does Carolyn Del Grosso still teach in that area?

AFierceArmadillo
Sep. 15, 2009, 04:10 PM
If you're looking for a solid dressage barn, the American Academy of Equestrian Sciences down in Leesburg, VA has a great program with awesome horses- I just started riding there to (re)learn dressage, and it's great. Marina Genn is the head instructor, just google them. It's a very friendly place, as well.

scubed
Sep. 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
Marina Genn is totally awesome. I did a bunch of clinics with her when I was in Michigan and she helped even my really pathetic dressage a lot.

see u at x
Sep. 16, 2009, 01:04 PM
Potomac Riverside is like 2 miles north of Poolesville, MD town center. www.potomacriversidestables.com

It is a nice facility, but I would never in a bazillion years board there. Never, ever, ever. :eek:

elleng0728
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:08 PM
I am at Potomac Riverside and have been there going on 3 years. I field board there and have not had any problems and am now with a fabulous trainer.(CapitolDesign) If you have questions from someone who does board there please do not hesitate to drop me a note.

see u at x
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:31 PM
I used to board there also, and would be more than happy to share my boarding experiences as well. [edit]

Ames
Sep. 16, 2009, 03:58 PM
Carolyn still teaches - she is based out of southwinds, but travels all over. Marina and Carina Genn are also good - based in Leesburg...

Fairview Horse Center
Sep. 16, 2009, 04:06 PM
If she would be interested in a partial lease (2 or 3 days per week), and to take dressage lessons, we have a few warmbloods available.