PDA

View Full Version : Do you know this TB mare?

sweetiebob
Sep. 10, 2009, 04:33 PM
Trying to ID this Throughbred mare. We were told she is about 20 years old, and was used as a broodmare. We bred her live cover and she acted as though she had been through the routine many times. She just delivered her first baby for us, no complications. We can not read the first letter of her tattoo. Here's her photo. She is the bay mare w/foal in the Photobucket album. Further tattoo investigation = possible name = Checkride Julie by Tri Jet out of Imaplenty
http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/summerlawns1959/?action=view&current=DSC_1774.jpg

caffeinated
Sep. 10, 2009, 04:36 PM
No idea but that is a GREAT photo :)

foundationmare
Sep. 10, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hey Sweetie, what a beautiful mare and foal! JC is now offering free tatoo IDs, so get what numbers you can decipher and estimate the mare's age (do you know it?) which will correlate with a letter and try some hits.

One of my peeves is the crappy tatooing I've run across over the years! It should be done WITHOUT rocking to achieve a clear image, otherwise, what's the point? Horse identifiers are guessing most of the time!

Rubyfree
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:34 PM
Hey Sweetie-
What a lovely photo. This is a complete crapshoot, but she does bear a resemblance to a broodmare I've know who would be about 20 now. Please don't get too excited- dark bays with stars are hardly a rarity! :D Can you give a little more background- location, how you came to posses her, etc?
I second contacting the JC with what you can read of her tat as well. The JC has a much longer and more thorough memory than anyone on this board, and they have proven to be quite helpful in tattoo research lately.

sweetiebob
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:41 PM
Foundationmare, I've done the very thing you have described. I have "found" four mares that could possibly be this girl. They are 14, 16, 19 and 21 years of age.
(We were told she is 20, but she doesn't seem that old to me, perhaps a little younger.)

So besides, color and age, all I have to go by are the head markings.
I find that whole part of the process a little confusing.

I also checked for any babies. Two of the four mares have 2 babies listed each.

Can you tell me if a mare in the U.S. could have two babies listed as Russian?
Could they have been purchased at an early age and shipped overseas and registered in Russia?

sweetiebob
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:45 PM
Hey you guys are great! Rubyfree... This is what I know, mare was brought to barn by a dealer. Told she was 20 years of age. No papers. Had been used as a broodmare.
Mare is located in Central Massachusetts. That is it.

vineyridge
Sep. 11, 2009, 09:54 PM
Both the JC and TRPB are doing tattoo look ups for free now. I prefer the TRPB because they are the folks who put the tats on and notate all the identifying characteristics.
www.trpb.com

Just get as much of the tattoo as you can, and if you can draw out what you might have for the letter, do. Take photos of her and her markings and her sworls/cowlicks. I did both sides and the face and all white markings and cowlicks with where they are located. Then call the TRPB (Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau) and tell them you'll be sending a packet for tattoo identification. They are very fast and very accurate and can sometimes identify horses that the JC can't.

VirginiaBred
Sep. 12, 2009, 07:13 AM
No idea but that is a GREAT photo :)

Awwww, how lovely. Foal is precious too!!!

sweetiebob
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
Took another look at the mare yesterday.
She has a large star on her forehead, with cowlick right in the center of it.
I can't read the first letter of the tattoo and believe that the numbers are, 26272.

I went to the jockey club website, entered the 627 part of the number (as being in the center these would be the clearest) and found a mare that seems to be the right age with the markings described. Came up as Checkride Julie by Tri Jet out of Imaplenty - born 1990 - she would be 19 years old.
Does anyone know where I might find a photo of Tri Jet?
I have had no luck in the usual places on line.