View Full Version : Pony Hunter Training Barns in mid-South Area

Sep. 10, 2009, 03:25 PM
Winter is fast approaching and we don't have an indoor at my barn (in NY). To keep my pony hunter prospect in a consistent program, she will have to move to a barn with an indoor. Since its going to cost me a pretty penny (b/w board, ring fees and lessons) for a farm with an indoor in my area, I'm considering sending her to a training barn further south instead and letting someone else do the work for the winter!! Can anyone recommend a good barn in the mid-South (I would say MD/KY/VA/NC area, maybe SC) that specializes in working with green ponies. Looking for a low-key but reliable program. Doesn't have to be a fancy show barn - but do want piece of mind knowing she is actually getting worked and being cared for. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I don't know where to start!

Sep. 10, 2009, 04:57 PM
Sent you a PM

Sep. 10, 2009, 05:56 PM
I would check out www.mayeshowponies.com. They are in VA and do a very nice job. They have handled ponies for me for years.

Windswept Stable
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:06 PM
We specialize in green ponies. We love it and have been making up ponies for years. We have riding permission at a nearby indoor--so when it gets too cold, we head to an indoor. For the most part, outdoor riding works just fine.

Sep. 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
Stacy Shaffer in Maryland specializes in Greenies.

Sep. 10, 2009, 09:12 PM
Karen Zinkhand does also and she's in Maryland.

Sep. 10, 2009, 09:13 PM
The very best out there would be Richard, Patsy & Drew Taylor in Montpelier Station, VA

I have all of those contact numbers if you want them.

Drew is the best small professional for breaking ponies there is. Period.

Sep. 10, 2009, 10:02 PM
Jackie and Roddie Lee in Gloucester, VA. They are great. Have started a lot of ponies and have a lot of good pony riders. Their farm is gorgeous and always clean; the horses and ponies get amazing care.

Sep. 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
I second Windswept farm and also Jackie Lee.
I have been to both of their farms and would definately trust them with my pony!

Sep. 10, 2009, 10:52 PM
I can put you in touch with Laurie Occhipinti~ she only does ponies, and is down here in SC now. PM me if interested. :cool:

Sep. 10, 2009, 11:04 PM
Listen to Virginia Bred-she knows the pony scene!!!

Sep. 12, 2009, 07:11 AM
Jackie and Roddie Lee in Gloucester, VA. They are great. Have started a lot of ponies and have a lot of good pony riders. Their farm is gorgeous and always clean; the horses and ponies get amazing care.

Another good choice!

Sep. 12, 2009, 10:03 AM
Oliver Brown may be taking a few in as well. He has a wonderful rider/trainer and his daughter is also riding a lot now. They have a large of mine there now and have done a great job with him. And of course, Oliver's reputation speaks for itself. Cell for Oliver is 540-229-7752.

Sep. 13, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hey Melinda,
It's Laurie Occhipinti. I have relocated to South Carolina. If you don't find anywhere to keep your pony for the winter, let me know. I have plenty of room in my barn. 267-575-9665.

Sep. 14, 2009, 03:59 AM
I've personally witnessed the ponies that have come out of Windswept's barn and would send her a pony in a heart-beat. Her daughter Liz has won countless titles on ponies and even won a talent search a few years ago that enabled her to show on the Fl circuit for a very well-known barn.

Ladybug Hill
Sep. 14, 2009, 01:03 PM
I am local to Windswept (www.EmpiresPower.com). Patti and I have become good friends after starting out with my pony in their barn for training. I sent my medium homebred pony filly to them to be brought along. They did a great job with her. She qualified and competed at Pony Finals, but had her worst trip ever finishing about 22nd overall. However, she had numerous wins/champions under the Landes management. They provide a very individualized program for owners/horses/ponies at a reasonable cost.

My pony: http://www.ladybughillfarm.com/pictures/horse/whinny/whinnyproof.jpg

Sep. 14, 2009, 01:43 PM
I grew up riding with Jackie and Roddy Lee (Showplace Farm). Quiet & very small operation, VERY clean (Jackie is a perfectionist through and through), tons of kids, lots of shows, excellent reputation in the VA pony world. No indoor, but winters are kind in Gloucester. PM for more info. Good luck!

Sep. 14, 2009, 05:34 PM
Lauren Newmeyer in Howell, NJ is fantastic. I send her all my ponies and she does an amazing job with them for not a lot of money. She breaks and trains ponies for some of the very, very top professionals. She is only 4'10" and rides all the ponies, and her daughter is a fantastic pony rider who can show the pony for you.

My small by Empire's Power is currently with Lauren and will be ready for the Small Greens in Dec. Lauren is one of the most honest and fair trainers I have ever met. Call her, you will love her.