PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Biz: Who'd you use or would you?

NeverEnd
Sep. 10, 2009, 01:48 PM
Aside from Dreamhorse and the like, name some (primarily H/J) equine marketing businesses that you have used. For what specific services did you use them (ie) web development, online advertising, print ads, print advertising, photography, DVD, etc. And why did you choose them??

If you've not used a strictly marketing biz in the past to boost your sales, why not?

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:23 PM
not enough cash to hire a marketing firm

NeverEnd
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:28 PM
not enough cash to hire a marketing firm

What would you expect to pay for any particular service???

Dramapony_misty
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:39 PM
As someone who has been slowly trying to start an equine videography business (mainly sales/promo videos...not big enough or have enough cameras to do shows yet), my rates are very cheap for videos (about $100-$150 per video which includes a DVD or VHS tape and $7 per DVD/VHS tape after that). That equals out to about $30/hr based on 1 hour of on-location shooting (plus travel expenses as neccessary) and 2 hours for editing and creating the DVD (which is more time consuming and frustrating than many people think). I think most established companies rates are about $75-$100 and up per hour.

My finace is a graphic/web designer and I believe his rates are about $50 and hour. Here too, he is trying to gain more experience before upping it to the going rate.

Keep1Belle
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:52 PM
Im currently looking for marketing firms to help with brochure design, press releases, etc.

For my website I used Equus web desin with kristina B,. she did a good job I think the site was around $500 and then I added pay pal so that was $250. She has packages for maintaining, etc. I also had her vectorize my logo that was $100.

To have my logo and branding done I went to cgxgraphics.com. you name your price people submit samples you pick the sample you like and work with that designer. i got over 15 samples of my logo. It cost me $75.

For press releases. im finding $150 -250 per release or 100 - 200 per hour to be a going rate. That said im writing them myself and having a pr friend edit them.

For a marketing company. Phelps was around $2500/month. ERI was around $1500/month and a local firm was about $350/month (6 to 9 month minimum - not equine focused). So...all very steep for my blood. But they will also work with you on a per project base also cheaper.

Are you looking for a company or looking to start a marketing firm?

hope that helps. sorry if it is long winded and scattered. Im at work, shouldnt be on COTH...hehe

Im still

NeverEnd
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:51 PM
Im currently looking for marketing firms to help with brochure design, press releases, etc.

For my website I used Equus web desin with kristina B,. she did a good job I think the site was around $500 and then I added pay pal so that was $250. She has packages for maintaining, etc. I also had her vectorize my logo that was $100.

To have my logo and branding done I went to cgxgraphics.com. you name your price people submit samples you pick the sample you like and work with that designer. i got over 15 samples of my logo. It cost me $75.

For press releases. im finding $150 -250 per release or 100 - 200 per hour to be a going rate. That said im writing them myself and having a pr friend edit them.

For a marketing company. Phelps was around $2500/month. ERI was around $1500/month and a local firm was about $350/month (6 to 9 month minimum - not equine focused). So...all very steep for my blood. But they will also work with you on a per project base also cheaper.

Are you looking for a company or looking to start a marketing firm?

hope that helps. sorry if it is long winded and scattered. Im at work, shouldnt be on COTH...hehe

Im still

Thought I throw questions out to help formulate organized ideas.

If you found a one-stop-shop with 20+ years of reliable, competitive equestrian knowledge/experience, would you pay a little more for a flat rate package as opposed to using three different businesses.

Dreaming and if you could have it all, what specific services would you want? Do you prefer writing your own ads, taking your own photos and video, updating your own website?

P.S. I'm on the COTH forums at work all of the time - I'm so bad!! :D

buddys girl
Sep. 11, 2009, 07:58 AM
The full service equestrian ad agency exists: www.somersetsportart.com
Handled all their marketing, catalogs and print ads for Beval Saddlery for over 25 years, as the agency of record. Check them out!

Serah
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:38 PM
Dags, Where you at???

dags
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:12 AM
LOL. Ignoring the forum and attempting to get some work done!

NeverEnd, you might drop me a line as I could go on about this for quite some time, and in turn bore most of our fellow posters. :)

In short some are willing and able to pay for real marketing, some are not. Building a large enough client base to sustain yourself full time in this field takes some time and financial commitment.

We run a full-scale, nationally established marketing agency for sale horse promotion. We handle absolutely everything - client hands us photos, dvd and information on horse and we go about turning that into a multimedia advertising campaign that's professionally managed for 6 months. I employ a production assistant nearly full time to handle this workload.

We have some fantastic clients that get it - they understand the value of quality marketing for a horse they've already spent tens of thousands on. They don't question the need for a professional to handle this: They have professional vets, professional farriers, professional chiropracters, etc. They see this as another element of the horse's needs and they want the right person in charge of it. They recognize how long it takes to place the ads, how frustrating the technology is, how hard it is to keep details current, that they really don't know which picture, video, copy is best to use. The understand the value and that it's going to cost a bit.

But other than that there are many already tapped by their horse habit and marketing is the obvious place to scrimp. Several of my clients feel this, and I feel for them. Knowing that many are already tapped makes it difficult to get our prices to where they should be to truly cover the cost and manpower. This is our current hurdle, and we hope to surmount it with a combination of corporate sponsorships as well as an alternate campaign option where sellers can pay us with a commission after a horse's successful sale. This will only be possible because we've spent 3 expensive years chiseling out and cementing a niche in the hj industry.

Print ads in decent publications are freakishly expensive for the influence they have. Count on full page ads running upwards of $1000 and then tack on proper payment for your time and it's not an easy thing to sell on a regular basis. There are so many easy, cheap and good looking web templates out there that designers will sell for $200 I just got tired of hearing $500 was too much for a custom build. And unless you are already very familiar with video editing expect that to be far more of a challenge then you anticipated.

My experience is a touch different than what I think you are shaping but it's true, there are already others out there. I think success can be had if you are in a good area and very familiar with the region and can sell to people you know.

http://www.stablewomandesign.com/
http://mulhollandmarketingllc.com/
http://www.equestrisol.com/

Those are just off the top of my head, there are others I've come across.

My questions for you would be- are you comfortable and experienced in the marketing and design world? You need to be confident that you can turn out a logo, message, design, ad, site very quickly otherwise its very difficult to cover your time with what the industry is willing to pay.

And see, everyone's bored :) and I totally could go on! Feel free to email me NeverEnd!