PDA

View Full Version : The "good" hair nets

TrakeGirl
Sep. 10, 2009, 01:47 PM
I really didn't realize there were different types of hair nets until recently when someone commented that I didn't have the best of hair nets to use for hunter hair - I needed to get the ones with the thicker band.

The nets I have are those Areobon or whatever - red lettering with the lady with the show bow on the package. 2 per package and were about $2.50 I think.

Does that company make two different strengths of hair nets? And which online stores carry the "good" kind with the thicker band so I don't buy the wrong kind? Thank you!

JinxyFish313
Sep. 10, 2009, 01:52 PM
Heh, I was going to post about this as well. I used to have nets with much tighter elastic, and the netting itself was finer. I think overall the whole thing was smaller as well. I've only been able to find the standard ones you mentioned since I moved down here and they suck.

touchstone-
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:08 PM
It's the same manufacturer. They just make normal and heavy weight models. The heavy weight ones are infinitely better. Most good tack stores carry both.

I also saw a new "one knot" hairnet at VSF that looked similarly heavy. But I think they were a bit more expensive.

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:14 PM
I think it depends on what works for your hair. I have the ones you described- lighter net, light elastic, and it works well for my hair. If you have super thick or very long hair, you may need the "extra strength" ones. They are thicker net and heavier elastic. Try both and chose what works for you best.

chrissymack
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:14 PM
Always go with the "heavy weight ones". I prefer the Perri's Heavyweight hairnets to the Aerbon, as the Perri's has a wider, more filled-in soft netting band along the edge that is super comfy & helps to camoflague and smooth out fast, imperfect hairsweeping. ;)

BAC
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
Does that company make two different strengths of hair nets? And which online stores carry the "good" kind with the thicker band so I don't buy the wrong kind? Thank you!

Yes, they make two, you want the ones with the heavier netting. Most tack shops in my area only carry the stronger ones, I wear the same ones for months at a time.

Ridingstar
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:27 PM
I love the heavyweight Aerborn nets. Would never ride without one!

TheOneandOnly
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:37 PM
I've always used the heavy weights. My big head will barely even fit into the thin ones.

One of my fellow barnmates recently had some with a whole 1 inch elastic band. I was shocked and asked where she got them and she thought Dover but I can't find them anywhere and would LOVE some because I HATE forhead lines and my ears are very sensative to the thin ones and they hurrrrt. It seems like it would hold a lot better and tighter without having to be painful.

Anybody seen them?

chawley
Sep. 10, 2009, 04:03 PM
I've always used the heavy weights. My big head will barely even fit into the thin ones.

One of my fellow barnmates recently had some with a whole 1 inch elastic band. I was shocked and asked where she got them and she thought Dover but I can't find them anywhere and would LOVE some because I HATE forhead lines and my ears are very sensative to the thin ones and they hurrrrt. It seems like it would hold a lot better and tighter without having to be painful.

Anybody seen them?

I usually buy the heavy ones from Dover and have never seen these. I'd be interested in knowing more about them, as I have thicker, long hair.

sarcam02
Sep. 10, 2009, 05:02 PM
The Aerborn HW (heavyweight) are the way to go. IMHO.

In response to an earlier post - I think that the Perri's hairnets may be the Aerborn repackaged? Not sure on that but they look identical to me

chrissymack
Sep. 10, 2009, 05:21 PM
The Aerbon heavy nets are a nice thicker netting, but have just the regular single elastic band around the edge, right?

The ones I'm thinking of have that thick stretchy elastic netting band around the edge. I am pretty sure they are the Perri's heavyweights?? Could possibly be Thornhill heavy weights, though...I order direct from them as well.

Gry2Yng
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:44 PM
I have gray hair - since i was 14 - and for whatever reason, cannot find the heavyweights in gray, so I buy blonde. Heavy weight is much better.

Sometimes I can't find gray at all at a hunter show, easy to find at a dressage show. I always thought it was funny that there is no market for gray in h/j land but there is in dressage land.

spmoonie
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have gray hair - since i was 14 - and for whatever reason, cannot find the heavyweights in gray, so I buy blonde. Heavy weight is much better.

Sometimes I can't find gray at all at a hunter show, easy to find at a dressage show. I always thought it was funny that there is no market for gray in h/j land but there is in dressage land.

Wow! Since 14??

mvp
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:37 PM
I'm so glad someone else knows and cares about this stuff!

I think Perri's and heavy weight Aeroborns (red lady with black bow on white background) are made by the same people.

Long ago (5 years or more), the brand was thick-- as if a few "layers" of netting had been laced together to create an edge. Now all the POS Perri's (and maybe modern Aeroborns) I have seen have a thin piece of elastic as an edge.

While the rest of the net will last just about forever, this elastic dies quickly and kills of the whole net. Once it stretches out, you can't get it to contain your hair anymore.

Hunter Mom
Sep. 10, 2009, 11:47 PM
Not to hijack, but why don't they make hairnets in small and large? I have a smallish head and short hair. I have to knot mine to make them fit. DD has the same problem - just worse because she's only 7. Frustrating!

Gry2Yng
Sep. 10, 2009, 11:50 PM
Wow! Since 14??

Yup! Started turning gray before I was in high school. DMV made me change the hair color on my license in my 20's. gry2yng - gray 2 young

TheOrangeOne
Sep. 10, 2009, 11:51 PM
I prefer the regular weight ones, myself. I even used to use the really light weight ones from the drug store for shows. I think it looks prettier when you just see the hair and not all the netting. I've since given up on the thread-thin ones, but the big heavy duty ones hurt my ears. I also have very fine, thin, short hair, so perhaps it wouldn't be so overpowering if there was more hair. I usually struggle to keep my ears covered.

chrissymack
Sep. 11, 2009, 08:33 AM
I think Perri's and heavy weight Aeroborns (red lady with black bow on white background) are made by the same people.

Long ago (5 years or more), the brand was thick-- as if a few "layers" of netting had been laced together to create an edge. Now all the POS Perri's (and maybe modern Aeroborns) I have seen have a thin piece of elastic as an edge.

While the rest of the net will last just about forever, this elastic dies quickly and kills of the whole net. Once it stretches out, you can't get it to contain your hair anymore.

I could have SWORN those thick band ones are the heavyweight Perri's brand...but You know, the thicker band ones I'm talking about (like what you described that is no longer the same), may be from Thornhill, then, if Perris ones are the same as the Aeroborns). I also order hairnets direct from Thornhill...it's just been a while, and I can't remember which ones I sold and which ones had the thicker edge that I kept to use for myself.

I'll order some more from each and report back ;)

TrakeGirl
Sep. 11, 2009, 09:15 AM
But is now Thornhill the same as everyone else? I went to their site and looked for hair nets and they seem to only carry the Aerborn ones as well.

http://www.thornhillusa.com/apparel/apparel1.html

fair judy
Sep. 11, 2009, 09:37 AM
:lol: i am sitting here laughing!!!!! i remember ( long ago and far away) when we had to hoard old lady hair nets from local drug stores and triple them up. you just kept adding a layer when one ripped..... back in the dark ages hair nets were actually part of old blue haired ladies grooming, they even sold them with little colored balls on them to complete "the LOOK". this was around the time when we had to make our own "pillow wraps" from cheesecloth and sheet cotton, and hauled stall guards and tons of screw eyes all over the shows world.

ah.... the good old days.

this is a funny article...... even before MY time. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9E05E3D8133EEE3ABC4B51DFB667838A639EDE

anseo
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:20 PM
The one knot hair net is awesome! No more knot headaches!

http://www.oneknothairnet.com/

JOBEAN
Sep. 13, 2009, 07:39 AM
:lol: i am sitting here laughing!!!!! i remember ( long ago and far away) when we had to hoard old lady hair nets from local drug stores and triple them up. you just kept adding a layer when one ripped..... back in the dark ages hair nets were actually part of old blue haired ladies grooming, they even sold them with little colored balls on them to complete "the LOOK". this was around the time when we had to make our own "pillow wraps" from cheesecloth and sheet cotton, and hauled stall guards and tons of screw eyes all over the shows world.

ah.... the good old days.

this is a funny article...... even before MY time. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9E05E3D8133EEE3ABC4B51DFB667838A639EDE

I still haul stall guards and tons of screw eyes ...never used the cheesecloth with my sheet cotton tho... I dont miss that cotton...:)
omg I'm old...:cry:

Atreides
Sep. 13, 2009, 09:15 AM
I agree with the poster who said seeing the hair, rather than an artificial dark thick line of a hair net band, looks much nicer. That's the trade-off I think between having a comfortable hair net band (thick comfy softer) vs. a thin one that remains invisible so you have the appearance of truly perfect hunter princess hair. ("Perfect" meaning it just looks like this naturally when I sweep it up under my hat :no:)

Trixie
Sep. 13, 2009, 08:56 PM
Can anyone find the one knot hairnet on the JODS website? I couldn't :( and obviously, MUST have.