PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a Saddle

TheOrangeOne
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:48 PM
I am sure this topic has come up before, but I could not find anything on it using the search function. What is the best way to carry a saddle on a plane? Is there a certain type of bag I should be putting it in? I have a bunch of big tote bags I could smush it into, but I am wondering if one of those saddle carriers, being asymmetrical, would be more difficult to consider oversized, since you would have a hard time measuring it. I know there will be room on the transatlantic leg, but I'm assuming that the regional jet is going to be an issue, and I do not want to end up buying another seat. Any advice would be appreciated!

SkipChange
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:04 PM
I remembered a thread recently about this, managed to find it in a search.
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=187871&highlight=saddle+plane

Perhaps some other people have something to add for you as well. Good luck!

TheOrangeOne
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks, SkipChange! I don't know why I did not come up with that. I'm not sure why I like the idea of just the saddle cover so much, but I do. Would that be the carry on or the personal item? I would want a bag to keep all my junk in, especially for a red eye.

supershorty628
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:23 PM
I flew with my saddle when I went to Ecuador over the winter. I had to do one flight within the states and then connect to another one to get to Quito. I just took my saddle on my hip (with its cloth cover) in addition to my carry on bag and personal item. No one gave me any trouble about it, and it fit in the overhead bin when I rolled the flaps under.

Zoey101
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:01 PM
It depends on where you're traveling and which airline- airlines have really cracked down on overhead storage and they might ask you to gate-check it. Overhead bins have been crammed due to new baggage fees, so there might not be space for it. Closets and other compartments are also rare these days, might not hurt to call the airline and ask what their policy is for special items.

akstaj
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:10 PM
Last weekend, carried the saddle in a bag and a purse. I did put my leathers in the suitcase, figured that out on the way there. It was a very small plane and the saddle did not fit in the over head, rolled the flaps under and put it under the seat. No problems, some funny looks.

Across Sicily
Sep. 12, 2009, 01:23 AM
Just don't check it.

When I took mine I put it in a padded saddle bag, took off the girth and irons, and toted it around. Never got looked at twice. I didn't take mine on an RJ though - just mainline. However, what akstaj said should work; just roll up the flaps and stuff it under the seat in front of you. You can also very sweetly ask a flight attendant if they can put it somewhere for you that is not gate checked. It can be hit or miss as to which flight attendants will be nice to you, but smiling and not demanding will be useful. :)

I took my rolling laptop case along with my saddle (and a purse too) - it was great, I just sat the saddle on the handle of my rolling bag and toted it right along. :)