PDA

View Full Version : Guess I have to jump now!

DressageReine
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:34 PM
I've been concentrating on doing dressage with my TB for the past year or so, but after free jumping him, I think I owe it to him to go that route for a while! What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5tEx2HA0Y

hellerkm
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:40 PM
I've been concentrating on doing dressage with my TB for the past year or so, but after free jumping him, I think I owe it to him to go that route for a while! What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5tEx2HA0Y

Oh my GOSH he is adorable!! and man can he JUMP!! yup time to sign up for some hunter lessons! he has a nice steady pace even with out a rider he will make a really nice 3'6 hunter!!!

showponies
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:49 PM
Yep, done with dressage and on to the "fun" stuff!! He looked very happy jumping...

WorthTheWait95
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:53 PM
He's very cute. :)

Off topic but what kind of camera did you use? It looked like pretty high quality even on youtube which is rare.

billiebob
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:04 PM
Oh, honey, you're jumping him now!

Or you're sending him to me where I'LL be jumping him. :)

Green Acres
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:07 PM
I think he would love the south and warm weather...so send him to me immediately!!!:lol:

He's ver cut and I love greys!!! Yep, time to have fun jumping him now. Oh, by the way I love your signature line.

DressageReine
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:23 PM
No way I'm not sending him anywhere! haha Thanks for the nice comments though!

The camera I used is a Sony Handycam, it's a Super Steady Shot HDR-SR10? lol It's HD, which is nice. He's still kind of a blurr on it though!

I'm working with my friend who has ridden jumpers for years, she's really helping us! He used to just run at a jump and launch across it until he encountered his first oxer! That really made him think :)

theblondejumper
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
No way I'm not sending him anywhere! haha Thanks for the nice comments though!

The camera I used is a Sony Handycam, it's a Super Steady Shot HDR-SR10? lol It's HD, which is nice. He's still kind of a blurr on it though!

I have used one of those and LOVE them. Easy to use and great quality.

Love your boy! So cute! I love greys in that dark stage.

KateKat
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:13 PM
he's so cute!!

dghunter
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:13 PM
umm he is terrible and should be sent to Ohio immediately :winkgrin::lol:

Seriously though, great jumper you've got there :) Have fun and keep us updated :yes:

spmoonie
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:20 PM
Yup, time for some jumping. He is going to be NICE!

DressageReine
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:44 PM
Oh man, I watched the video again, and I have to apologize for my incessant "Good BOY!"s. That is SO annoying! Maybe mute it when you watch it and it will be 10x better! lol

He's my baby and I tend to... overpraise. I want to be encouraging :)

It's interesting, I've never jumped anything higher than 2'3", but I'd better learn! Good thing I have a great trainer to work with!

tBHj
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:47 PM
Lovely! Gray`s are my favorite.

Jo
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:14 AM
Very cute! I paused a couple of times while he was O/F and he looks great!

TB110
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:23 AM
Oh man, I watched the video again, and I have to apologize for my incessant "Good BOY!"s. That is SO annoying! Maybe mute it when you watch it and it will be 10x better! lol

I thought all the "good boys" were sweet - not annoying at all.

LShipley
Sep. 10, 2009, 04:12 PM
What a beautiful lofty jump! I love how he just seems to hang in the air. You'll have lots of fun!

forestergirl99
Sep. 10, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hmmm....Honestly, I think he has horrible, dangerous form. Someone is going to get hurt when he flips over from catching a knee. So, since I'm such a nice person, I will let you send him to me!! I know. I'm so nice. :winkgrin: :lol:

kateh
Sep. 10, 2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah, you need to jump that one. And I agree with TB110, all the "good BOY"s were cute-jumping like that should be praised!

enjoytheride
Sep. 10, 2009, 07:54 PM
I will be the voice of desent and say that I would not freejump him again until you get some more solid poles so he doesn't learn to keep knocking them down.

DressageReine
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:06 PM
haha yes! That's why my trainer was saying. She comes to the barn I board at, and they only have PVC poles right now. She suggested I buy a few of my own so he learns, yikes, I'd better not do that again!

Justice
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:43 PM
He's cute - I wouldn't jump him over the pvc at all, free jumping or under tack. You don't want him to end up a lumberjack, and if a pole shatters, it's dangerous. I like his jump, but I LOVE his canter. And, I thought the good boys were sweet.

DressageReine
Sep. 12, 2009, 03:02 PM
Wait, why aren't PVC poles safe? I know he might get sloppy over them, but I never heard of them shattering??

IrishWillow
Sep. 12, 2009, 03:07 PM
The camera I used is a Sony Handycam, it's a Super Steady Shot HDR-SR10? lol It's HD, which is nice.

What did you edit it with? It is VERY clear, and I feel like I am constantly battling clear videos.... that are small enough to upload, that is...

SillyHorse
Sep. 12, 2009, 04:24 PM
Wait, why aren't PVC poles safe? I know he might get sloppy over them, but I never heard of them shattering??
They can indeed shatter.

DressageReine
Sep. 12, 2009, 04:38 PM
Wow, I didn't know that. Why do people use them then? Does it happen often?

If it makes a difference, I edited the video on my Mac. I uploaded it using the "Large" option, and just pieced it together in iMovie. Then I uploaded it to YouTube through iMovie. Don't know why it's so clear, but I love it! :D

forestergirl99
Sep. 12, 2009, 04:48 PM

It a horse steps on them when the pole falls, they can definitely shatter. Especially when it's cold, and the plastic gets brittle. We have a few of them at my barn, but we only use them when we have to, and only as poles under the jumps. I believe the are called...placing poles. I don't remember. Like this pole (http://www.tolverth.com/horsejumps/images/minilarge.jpg) except we put ours closer to the jump. Correct if I'm wrong on what they are called. lol.

DressageReine
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:43 PM
Man I definitely didn't know that! I'll make sure I get some wooden poles pronto, thanks everyone!

Burgie
Sep. 12, 2009, 10:12 PM
Like this pole (http://www.tolverth.com/horsejumps/images/minilarge.jpg) except we put ours closer to the jump. Correct if I'm wrong on what they are called. lol.

Ground line.

BearWithMe
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:04 PM
love him!!!!
i just wanted to say, make sure you work him in both directions equally. he only knocked poles to the right so he may not have as much muscle on that side. many horses prefer a direction and its so easy to do more work that direction when your flatting because its less work for you :)
very very cute!

DressageReine
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:28 PM
So if I'm going to get cheap wooden poles (they don't even have to be painted), can I find them at Lowes do you think? Or am I going to have to order through an equestrian supply store? And if I do, can someone recommend a place? I will NOT order through Dover anymore!

SkipChange
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:49 PM
I have no idea where to get poles. But why do you hate Dover so much?

DressageReine
Sep. 14, 2009, 12:07 AM
I think their shipping is ridiculously expensive, and it always takes about 2 weeks to get the stuff I order. Plus, I've found they're overpriced. I looked on their website anyway, and they don't have wooden poles, so I guess it's a non-issue. I looked on Lowes' site and Home Depot and I don't think they have what I need. Anyone have a good (possibly cheap?!) company to order poles from? And what size should I get, 8', 10', or 12'?