View Full Version : Experiences with those elastic rein insert thingies?

Sep. 9, 2009, 02:05 PM
You know those elastic rein inserts (http://www.rein-aid.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28)?

I am curious about them and am wondering if people who have experiences with them, either by using themselves or with their students, could share them.

I would prefer this to not devolve into a thread where people who have never used the product personally or even seen anyone else using them take over the thread.

I am just curious about people's actual experiences, for better or worse.

Sep. 9, 2009, 02:17 PM
I have some and used them briefly on a young horse. I think their best applications are a young/problem horse who may be reluctant to take contact with the bit, or with a rider who has problems keeping their hands quiet.

They can be helpful in 'getting over the hump' in the above cases. They are not legal for showing, tho.

Sep. 9, 2009, 02:17 PM
I am a beginner Dressage rider, when I first started made the switch from hunters to dressage I had a hard time learning how to get my horse on the bit. My trainer says my horse has probably the most sensitive mouth of an upper level horse that she has ever ridden, and when I was learning about connection my hands bobbled sometimes. Werther was not very forgiving of this and it would take a long time or me to get the connection back. I used the rein aids for a few week, because it would absorb the movement when my hands bobbled, I was able to stay consistently connected while I learned what contact felt like. On the negative side, it makes everything very "spongy" which can make turning and stopping difficult for a novice. If the horse is a little hot, I might try them while you are on a lunge line first.

Sep. 9, 2009, 02:20 PM
The reins with built-in elastic are legal for showing.

Sep. 9, 2009, 02:28 PM
I love them for young horses for line driving and lunging so they can feel the give and not feel restricted.

Love to use them on my vienna side reins when lunging a horse.

I do not use them myself when under saddle as prefer to do the give with my human aids

Pony Fixer
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:50 PM
I have used the inserts (actually still do) on my new young horse. The jury is still out for me. I initially bought them after watching Carl Hester--he uses them on all his young horses.

I really thought I liked them--my horse does not like a strong contact, and these reins hopefully prevent me from "accidentally" nagging/pulling. But then I took them off for a show this past weekend and really preferred the "good ole' fashioned" regular contact with straight reins.

I am not a beginner rider, BTW, I just thought this idea would be a little "kinder" for a horse just learning to seek the contact without the chance of heaviness. I have not yet decided how I feel about them. For $35 they were worth the shot, and I may continue them later.

So, maybe ask me again in another 30 days?!

Sep. 9, 2009, 07:41 PM
I used the rein-aid inserts for a few rides and felt absolutely nothing. I didn't feel any difference in my horse or myself. I'm sure other opinions differ, but I don't use them at all anymore.

Sep. 11, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm using them on a horse that tends to duck away from the contact (previous over-use of drawreins or hard handedness my guess). I like it and I seem to think so does my horse.

My other horse, who loves to test the boundaries, tends to snap the reins out of my hands (to get out of work) more frequently with the rein-aid then when I ride him without.

Sep. 11, 2009, 12:54 PM
When I first started riding as an adult my trainer put them on the school horse to help compensate for my bad riding. Not sure it really made a difference. They aren't *that* stretchy. I suppose it didn't hurt though.

Sep. 12, 2009, 07:58 AM
I purchased a pair of the Carl Hester reins on a whim. I was injured,bored and could not ride! :)
I had seen things like this advertised for years and had just passed them off as a gimick but due to my depressed state of mind from injury succumbed.

I would now have to say they are the best thing since sliced bread!
I use them on all of my horses now and they all love them. One particuarly sensitive horse that got tense and blocked is for the first time in his life soft and round and is finally building neck muscle that he has been denied of all his life.

My trainer who admits to be one person who is not impressed by much was so impressed when she saw the change in the sensitive one that she went out and bought some herself and reports they are fantastic even on her upper level horses. She says great also to use them as a curb rein for training.

I use them everyday and only use normal reins now for competition.

I added clips to the end of my reins so that I can just switch them from bridle to bridle.

So in my and my trainers eyes certainly not a gimmick and certainly worth their huge (the carl hester ones anyway) price tag.

Sep. 12, 2009, 10:49 AM
I love them and have them on all my reins. I typically ride six horses a week from my schoolmaster to a couple of young horses we have for sale. I first used them years ago because I had trouble feeling the slight give to pressure. Now I continue to use them because they help me feel the most subtle things and continue to make me a more sensitive rider. My GP trainer says I have the best hands and I think the rein aids have a lot to do with it.

Sep. 12, 2009, 11:07 AM
The reins with built-in elastic are legal for showing.

The full reins are legal and the "add ons" are not?

Sep. 12, 2009, 11:25 AM
Correct only the full reins are legal, the add-ons are NOT legal!

Sep. 13, 2009, 01:12 PM
Elasto-ReinĀ® is a compassionate aid that improves the quality of contact necessary for competitive performances in a variety of disciplines. They are legal for USAE/USDF Dressage, Showhunters, Jumpers and the jumping phases of Eventing (at this time they are not legal for the dressage phase of eventing). Elasto-ReinĀ® is also commonly used to improve the horses comfort during Endurance/Trail rides, Barrel racing, Roping and Foxhunting.

The Elasto-Rein is the rein with the elastic attached.