PDA

View Full Version : Stirrups and sheepskins what would you buy?

Baroquecoco
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:47 AM
I am getting ready to replace my stirrups and also need a new sheepskin half pad. I have recently sold a used saddle and can afford to buy better (maybe not the best) new irons and sheepskin half pad. My budget is around $350-400 for both.

What do people have for irons and half pads that they are extremely happy with? I will probably live with whatever I buy for a long time and want to be happy with them. My right leg does sometimes get jammed from an old injury and don't know if certain irons would help that issue or not.Thanks for the help.

Gloria
Sep. 9, 2009, 02:07 PM
Irons: I use MDC irons like this one: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-07013&ids=1025584967. The weight keeps the irons stable and be able to rotate it
make picking up stirrup a breeze.

Sheepskins: Mattes. Love them.

jn4jenny
Sep. 9, 2009, 02:59 PM
I used to do Mattes sheepskin, then I discovered Engel (by purchasing a Thinline Saddle Fitter pad, which was so nicely made that I called Thinline and asked if they manufactured it in house. They said that it was a contract product through Engel).

A few of my Mattes-owning friends got tired of having to wash their Mattes pads for shows, so they checked out my Engel pad and soon had one of their own. Most of them now agree that they like their Engel as much, if not more, than their Mattes pad.

It's not that Mattes isn't a good product, it's just 3 times the price of the Engel, and the Engel is about 95% as good quality as the Mattes.

As for stirrups, I can't advise. They're so personal. I ride in the Herm Sprenger 4-Ways for what that's worth.

LD1129
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:16 PM
I like fleeceworks pads they are a bit cheaper and hold up nicely to daily use. I use jointed stirrups (cheaper version of sprenger) because of my bad ankles.

Roan
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:26 PM
Fleeceworks and MDC stirrups are my favs. With your budget you could get two Fleeceworks (around $100) and a pair of MDCs (around $150) from Dover.

Eileen

joiedevie99
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:31 PM
I use a Mattes pad and MDC Ultimate stirrups. I would be interested to know where people are purchasing Engel pads? I could use a second one to rotate while the other is drying.

Baroquecoco
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks everyone. I will definitely check out the MDC stirrups. We don't have a single tack shop within two hours of us. So it is impossible to even look at things. I have the old originial Sprengers and they are ok....not wonderful and the new ones are super expensive. Thanks for the suggestions on the sheepskins. The mattes are lovely just pricey.

Somantu
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:49 PM
The mattes are lovely just pricey.

Hence the Engels.
Love 'em so much I have 4 of them (for the price of 1.5 Mattes ;))

And for the stirrups, MDC swivel w/the Super Comfort Grip pads get my vote.

Somantu
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:51 PM
... I would be interested to know where people are purchasing Engel pads? I could use a second one to rotate while the other is drying.

http://engelsheepskin.com/

I've gotten mine online.

quietann
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:59 PM
It looks like Dover isn't carrying the MDC stirrups right now, but SmartPak is. I sold a saddle recently and am thinking of trying them.

Related question: for a "correction" half-pad, what brand do people like? I'd want sheepskin-lined. My current saddle needs a little "lift" in the cantle.

Tilly
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:34 PM
Being poor and very young with thankfully no issues/injuries so far, I ride in good old fashioned plain Fillis {?} stirrups.
As for half-pads, I adore my Mattes pad, which I bought cheap a long time ago, and it has held up to heavy use beautifully :yes:

lorilu
Sep. 10, 2009, 03:40 PM
I have the stirrups with eyes that are turned 90 degrees - not adjustable. Right now can't remember the name of them - but they are great, and 1/4 the price of the MDC, with the benefits.....

My trainer does not like them. She is used to the feel of the leather across her calf as the stirrup is turned.

But i love them.

L

Gloria
Sep. 10, 2009, 05:44 PM
I have the stirrups with eyes that are turned 90 degrees - not adjustable. Right now can't remember the name of them - but they are great, and 1/4 the price of the MDC, with the benefits.....

My trainer does not like them. She is used to the feel of the leather across her calf as the stirrup is turned.

But i love them.

L

I think you are talking about Herms Sprencer Offset Eye like this: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-0708&bhcd2=1252618742

I like them when I'm riding but they twist and weaken my stirrup leathers when I put them up. That is the only reason I don't like them any more. Funny my trainer doesn't like the offset eye either. She likes the feel of leather in front of her shins..

cutemudhorse
Sep. 10, 2009, 05:52 PM
I have the cheap Horse S Line jointed stirrups. ($40/pr) I could never go back to non-jointed, even though these are very slightly flexible. My forty something knees like these much better! I have no trouble picking them up if I lose one.

I like the Mattes pads too. I got mine on eBay used once. I'd certainly get the Engels as so many people like them.

kkj
Sep. 10, 2009, 06:38 PM
I love Mattes pads and find they hold up well. However there are some imitation mattes type pads which are good quality and real sheepskin on Ebay. They have Engel pads and no name pads. Just search "sheepskin half pad". I bought one for $45 on ebay and it is good quality and has held up very well. I am hard on stuff and I would buy one of these again. It washes well etc.

Conversely, I had a bad experience with Fleeceworks. The pad fell apart after 3 washes.

jn4jenny
Sep. 10, 2009, 06:39 PM
I use a Mattes pad and MDC Ultimate stirrups. I would be interested to know where people are purchasing Engel pads? I could use a second one to rotate while the other is drying.

I get mine at www.aretesaddlery.com. Good prices, nice friendly small business. You can also order direct from Engel, as another poster pointed out.

flamenco horse
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:26 PM
As far as sheepskin pads are concerned, I love my Christ Lambskin! These are medical grade skins, no pieces, and no dyes. Next to the Christ, I'd opt for Mattes...again, they are generally one solid skin. Fleeceworks, although soft and cushy, are sewn bits and pieces so there's lots of seams which I think defeats the purpose. http://lammfelle.com/en/default.asp These folks are extremely helpful, custom made the pad I purchased which I had within 2 weeks.

Good luck in your search!

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 11, 2009, 04:13 PM
Another vote for the Christ Horsedream. I have two that I rotate, they are of much better quality than Fleeceworks and cheaper than Mattes (and also German : ) ). Dressage Extensions sells them (Dover used to, but doesn't carry them anymore).

FolsomBlues
Sep. 11, 2009, 07:31 PM
For those of you that have the Engel sheepskins, does it have the "spine free" center like Mattes, or is there sheepskin covering the entire underside?

Somantu
Sep. 11, 2009, 08:42 PM
For those of you that have the Engel sheepskins, does it have the "spine free" center like Mattes, or is there sheepskin covering the entire underside?

They have pads with and without vented spines

Blackberry Farm
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:16 AM
I like my ECP half pad :) w/ memory foam inserts. I use plain old Fillis, but have those wraps over them for more surface area. They are not pretty (looks like I made them myself) but they are great for my knees.