PDA

View Full Version : Question re. Derby

Kim
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:02 AM
While on a tour in Lexington recently, the tour guide informed us that a horse "must be born in Kentucky to be eligible to run in the Derby." However, I noticed that at least one foreign-born horse (Omar Khayyam) has won. Is this a rule that was made in later years? Or is it untrue?

Thanks in advance.

lindsay_aggie
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:19 AM
That is untrue if they were referring to the Kentucky Derby and they should not be giving tours if they said that.

loshad
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:28 AM
I'm fairly certain that's not true. If I remember correctly, both Smarty Jones and Funny Cide were not Kentucky breds. PA and NY, I think.

caffeinated
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
Totally untrue.

What is it with tour guides and being clueless? I had one try to tell me that an Osprey was an immature Bald Eagle once. Tour guides just can't be trusted (sometimes I wonder if they have competitions to see how much they can pull over on people)

Drvmb1ggl3
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:56 AM
Secretariat and Northern Dancer being the most obvious examples, plus the one aforementioned foreign bred horse.

Kim
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks all. I *knew* it could not possibly be true unless some recent rule had been made...

The guide was trying to tell us that royalty send their mares over to be bred here in order to have the foal be eligible for the Derby.

Another tour guide nearly bit my head off when I asked if Gary Stevens was now a trainer. She said, "Gary Stevens is NOT a trainer."

It did give us some fodder for laughs for the remainder of the trip.

Laurierace
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:54 PM
Well Gary Stevens is a trainer. Maybe you should have given the tour instead!

Glimmerglass
Sep. 9, 2009, 01:13 PM
Well Gary Stevens is a trainer.

Purportedly :D I don't know if he's had a winner yet ....

I suspect he'll get bored or frustrated or both and leave that gig before he gets more then 10 winners. Then it will be time for yet another business card

Laurierace
Sep. 9, 2009, 01:15 PM
Well if number of wins is part of the criteria I may have to turn in my trainer's license. I think I would need a map to the winner's circle! Its tough when you only have one horse and he has a bum foot.

Tiffani B
Sep. 9, 2009, 01:28 PM
The guide was trying to tell us that royalty send their mares over to be bred here in order to have the foal be eligible for the Derby.

I would think that since live cover is required to get a registerable foal, foreign breeders DO send their mares "over here" (meaning, the US, not KY) to be bred. But yea, that's a bit of a stretch.

Linny
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:19 PM
Foreign "royalty" (or elite breeders) are often far more interested in their "native" Derbies or the equivalent. Most French horsemen would rather win the Arc or the Grand Prix de Paris than the KY Derby.

pinkdiamondracing
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:07 AM
While on a tour in Lexington recently, the tour guide informed us that a horse "must be born in Kentucky to be eligible to run in the Derby." However, I noticed that at least one foreign-born horse (Omar Khayyam) has won. Is this a rule that was made in later years? Or is it untrue?

Thanks in advance.

Your tour wasn't of the Thoroughbred Center by chance, was it?? Those ladies who give the tours there are SO clueless!!! When I was an assistant trainer for Greg Fox based out of there-- I would ride my BLM mustang pony horse over to the tours for the tourists to pet-- he is sweet and he does tricks-- he knows how to bow on command, and the lady giving the tour always spews a bunch of misinformation about mustangs, which I gently correct, so as not to give people bad info.
Their information about racing is even worse than their lack of knowledge about mustangs, and they are in the industry for crying out loud!!!!

bizbachfan
Sep. 10, 2009, 09:53 AM
I would seriously have to write a letter about the misinformation guides are giving out. That is just ridiculous!

Kim
Sep. 10, 2009, 01:44 PM
I am tempted to write a letter, but I don't want anyone getting in trouble. I am assuming that the guides are not highly paid (although i could be wrong).

It was not at the Thoroughbred Center, by the way. It was at a much more prestigious place - where you would think the guides should know their subject matter.

Rubyfree
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:08 PM
Kim, you can write a pretty anonymous letter- don't give a specific time frame, etc. Just state that there is an obvious lack of basic knowledge that doesn't reflect well on their facility and that they may wish to pursue further education for guides. I understand your wish to 'not get anyone in trouble', but this is pretty basic stuff here- just because the job is low paying doesn't mean it cannot be done competently.

Kim
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:13 PM
Good idea, Ruby. It was actually 2 different guides at 2 different locations. The one who mentioned about the Derby was a young guy who was filling in for the regular guide; however, he did say he fancied himself as a "racing historian." lol

The woman with the "Gary Stevens" comment was a sourpuss and obviously did not enjoy her job. A letter may be warranted there. She also said, "Barbaro blah blah blah before he won the Triple Crown...uh, I mean the Derby."

DickHertz
Sep. 10, 2009, 03:52 PM
That's beyond embarrassing for a tour guide to say that. Are you sure they didn't say something like "each horse in the KY derby has lineage to KY sires" ????

Kim
Sep. 10, 2009, 04:35 PM
No, he specifically said, "Royalty send their mares over here to KY from abroad to breed them here. They have to be bred and born in KY to be eligible for the Derby."

My friends remembered him saying it as well. I was thinking, "but Secretariat wasn't born in KY," but thought maybe it was a new rule in the last year or so...

Laurierace
Sep. 10, 2009, 04:39 PM
OMG, could you imagine if they did relegate the Derby to being a state bred race!? That would be the end of life as we know it.

WhiteCamry
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks in advance.
:eek:

As others have pointed out, that is patently untrue.

Aside from the bad publicity, imposing a "state-bred" rule would cost the KD its Grade 1 status. It wouldn't even be listed as Grade 3 but instead be reduced to a "restricted stakes."

Glimmerglass
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:53 AM
I wonder if she would also claim that only a Maryland-bred horse can run in the Preakness :D

Then again the last Maryland-bred horse to win the Preakness was 'Deputed Testimony' in 1983 ....

Laurierace
Sep. 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
I am now training out of the training center where Deputed Testamony trained and later stood at stud. The backside where I am at is in very good condition, the frontside with the stallion barn and the like is a mess. Its sad to see it in such bad shape but at least the current owner is intent on keeping it a training center instead of parceling all of it off. Now if only I could get some horses to train, I would be all set!