PDA

View Full Version : LNT & Lesson Barns - What has this economy done to you?

sanctuary
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:13 PM
This has been a very rough year for us. Historically, this has been the time of year to pickup new students, and so far, the phone calls have been slim compared to previous years. How has it been for you? What are you doing to increase phone calls? Are you going to make it through the winter?

Atypical
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:19 PM
I should be okay I think. I'm posting ads on Craigslist for lessons. I'm in a college town, so I've got a huge new influx of people in the town. Slow season for me has actually been summer. Can't say enough about good word of mouth, I've gotten a bunch of new students through my vet.

That being said, the economy has hit me as well. Students I've had that used to take two lessons a week are now doing maybe once every other week. I had a student that was planning on leasing a nice jumper Ive been bringing along, but her parents can't afford it right now. And a really good training client of mine has had to almost completely stop my putting rides on her greenie. It's hard, but the last week or so has seen it balancing out, at least a bit. I'm by no means where i was before summer, but I'll be all right.

zahena
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:47 AM
I have had a ton of people fall off. I usually suffer in the summer but now with school starting back up, I think parents are pushing their kids to do a cheaper extra curricular activity. Lots of them can't do riding right now because of school and other commitments.

This time last year, I had 26 students, with 2 taking more than one lesson a week and some leasing. This year I have 11 and only 1 taking 2 lessons and leasing.

My guess is that its probably cheaper to say play softball than it is to ride even once a week.