PDA

View Full Version : when the oldies act young, or The Cool Weather Strikes Again

zakattack
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:29 PM
It was a beautiful day on monday, a lot colder than it has been up in New England, and me and two friends all had the day off from classes so we decided to go for a trail ride. I was on my horse, a 23 year old thoroughbred, who is generally a laid-back kinda guy, and we head out through the fields and dirt roads we have access to behind the barn.

We trotted and cantered a bit without incident, take a walk break, and decide to pick up a canter again, headed uphill in a grassy field. We had been chatting just previous to this, and my friend commented that she had always wanted to breeze a racehorse, and I agreed that it is something I would love to do. Well, ole' Zak must've heard and taken the words to heart, because when I asked for canter, he took the bit in his and RAN, tossing in a few bucks for good measure. :eek::lol:

I have never seen this horse buck in my life and it was just too funny! He felt so good and I was never in danger of falling off, so we all had a good laugh at an old man still showing his youth :) Later in the ride he took the liberty of spooking at: an apple, a stick, nothing, a shadow, and a rock

Its that time of year again, when the leaves on the ground grow teeth and start attacking our horses! share your stories :)

QM2
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:43 PM
ahhh yes, buck you off weather. My favorite time of year.

My pony kids always seem to forget and inevitably one or two will get tossed in the first round of cool weather.

I like it because I can use less spur and coast a little.

mvp
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:22 PM
Ah yes... the season when the old, quiet, broke ones buck you off just to say "I still got it! Yeah, baby!"

I say no, but I kinda mean yes when they do that. I'm happy to see my horse enjoys the crispy fall as much as I do.

After years of annual fall dumpings, I still go out but I take measures. The spurs come off, I try just a little harder to ride well, and I grab mane when necessary.

A good time is had by all.

hellerkm
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:42 AM
My 5 year old jumped quite a few invisible fences the other day, the standards were up(no rails) but pony kept pulling her in that direction and would actually JUMP as she went through LOL! it was good practice for the kid but really funny to watch!
we made the mistake of weaning our babies on MOnday ( not realizing it was NOT going to warm up much) they ran and bucked and jumped for an hour!!! there are 4 of them and we stood and watched, then decided just a small bit of tranq might be a good idea LOL! they did settle and are fine now but the first hour was exhausting to watch !!!

MistyBlue
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:09 AM
Yup, these mornings in the high 40s are making some horses *really* happy. Boy do they prefer cool weather over heat!
Mine have gone from well behaved to little sh*ts under saddle...actually the mature experienced one is trying to give me a taste of the rodeo every ride lately. :lol:
I picked a great time of the year to get both over their slight herd bound issues. :rolleyes: The hilarious thing has been the hollering the two get into...so loud that *all* the horses in my neighborhood can hear them. And *all* holler back. It sounded like a cheesey equine movie set around my area the other day...about 15 horses in a few locations nearby all hollering their heads off. Was hilarious because then my two had no idea who they should be hollering to! :D
Am particularly liking the new morning routine of *bursting* out of the stalls for turnout instead of their normal meandering gait. We're nipping that one in the bud!
Even my cat caught fall fever...she's been galloping around the house all morning and attacking the dog for no good reason. All because the windows are open and it's a gorgeous 58 degrees in my house right now.
I live on a funny farm...*sigh*