PDA

View Full Version : New England Eq Finals

Lucassb
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:45 AM
I have ridden hunters for a long time, but started focusing on the (adult) eq just last winter. I've had a lot of fun this year and really enjoyed the more technical courses, to the point where I've pretty much decided to stay in the eq ring. Anyway, to my surprise, I qualified for a number of the adult eq finals this year, including the New Englands. I've never been, and am wondering if it makes sense to give it a shot.

For those who have ridden it in the past, can you give me an idea of what to expect? TIA!

supershorty628
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
I didn't ride in the adult final, but I can tell you that I had tons of fun at NEEC the year that I went. The ring is pretty small, so if you have trouble getting a good pace in a small ring, it might not be the best final for you. The jumps are all really decorated nicely. I didn't find that any were particularly spooky, but some horses were balking at a shiny natural coop that was there.

It's a beautifully run final and I have a lot of respect for it because it offers the horsemanship class, which I think more finals should have...but that's another story. Hope more people can tell you about the adult final, and if you go, that you have a great time like I did!

M. Owen
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:38 AM
New England finals are fun, and I would encourage you to go if you're qualified. I've never shown there as an adult, but did show there as a junior. The atmosphere is great and the organizers put a lot of thought and effort into making it a high quality event. They always get big names for the judges, and scoring is done by a panel of about 4 judges, IIRC.

The following information is based on watching the adults. The adults are split into 3 age groups, although I don't remember the exact cut off for each split. For the adults, the course will be set at 3' and they usually decorate the fences quite a bit so they end up looking like a solid and "big" 3 feet, if that makes sense. The ring itself is oval shaped and not huge, so there will be quite a lot of jumps in a small space. They always have bending lines and at least one combination. They tend to have skinny jumps as well that are set in difficult places, such as off of a short turn or into a short turn. Some horses can find the ring spooky, because it is a coliseum style with a digital score board and echo-ey announcements. There is not a ton of space to get into and out of the ring either, you enter through a sort of breezeway at one end of the ring. I have not been to watch in a few years, but I have heard they have more schooling areas now than they used to have. There is a lot of information on NEHC's site, but you've probably already reviewed that. I bet if you did a youtube search you could find some videos of past years to get a sense of what things look like. Like I said, you should go if you have the opportunity!

supershorty628
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:22 PM
announcements. There is not a ton of space to get into and out of the ring either, you enter through a sort of breezeway at one end of the ring. I have not been to watch in a few years, but I have heard they have more schooling areas now than they used to have. There is a lot of information on NEHC's site, but you've probably already reviewed that. I bet if you did a youtube search you could find some videos of past years to get a sense of what things look like. Like I said, you should go if you have the opportunity!

Here's a video of the junior medal final course in 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul2ZQy44eok&feature=channel_page

juststartingout
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:25 PM
NEEC Finals (NEHC Finals) are absolutely the best run and most exhibitor friendly show ever. The junior competition is top notch and worth watching. The adult course is generally a little "easier" (less jumps) than the junior course but is demanding and technical. The adults are divided into 3 age groups. Usually, the young adults (18 to 23ish) is a large group and includes many of the juniors who have just aged out and finished their days doing the medal maclay the previous fall. Last year, the next largest adult group was the older adults - and it was quite competitive. The smallest group was the middle age adults.

The following link is a video of JoJo Gutfarb the winner of the Younger Adults 2008 NEEC Finals. It will give you a really good idea of the type of jumps and questions that were asked of the adult riders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjuZquv-c68&feature=fvsre2

If you can go - go - you will have a blast!

BAC
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:54 AM
I vote that you should go! (And bring me along too ;)).

ponymom64
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:02 AM
I vote that you should go! (And bring me along too ;)).

Yes, you should go and take BAC with you. I'm sure there will be plenty of shopping and how will the vendors survive without the two of you!!!

BAC
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, you should go and take BAC with you. I'm sure there will be plenty of shopping and how will the vendors survive without the two of you!!!

And that is why I want to go, I can't wait for the shopping! :D Of course, I want to see Lucassb ride too.

ponymom64
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:09 PM
And that is why I want to go, I can't wait for the shopping! :D Of course, I want to see Lucassb ride too.

Of course ;)

MHM
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:17 PM
I haven't been to this show for a few years, but I totally agree that it's a fantastic event, and the organizers really put a huge effort into making it special.

Also, any show that encourages the kids to practice their horsemanship in the barn as well as the ring gets huge props from me!

Vandy
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:45 PM
Definitely go! If it's anything like it used to be, the course will offer options that will challenge the top riders but will also allow a simpler track that will allow a positive experience for people who are just starting to show at this level. Oh, and shopping. I wish there was something like this in my area!

Signed,
an NEHC Adult Finals winner, I am ashamed to admit how many years ago ;)

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 9, 2009, 03:44 PM
DEF GO!!! You will do great! It's a great show, well run and fun to watch. They have a great party for the Adults also! Then stay for the Jr riders at least for Saturday night, the kids are so cute and they hve so much fun riding for their state! Plus you can hang with me!! ;)

kdriding
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:00 PM
I would go. We have been going to watch for the last 2 years and it is so fun. It is a really well run show, and I can't wait for my daughter to be ready to compete there. :D

Sing Mia Song
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:26 PM
Signed,
an NEHC Adult Finals winner, I am ashamed to admit how many years ago ;)

Um, Vandy, didn't you win the very FIRST adult finals??

;)

[ducking and running, even though I'm older than Vandy]

Lucassb
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:53 PM
Oh my goodness, you guys are too funny. But very encouraging!! :D

As those who know me are aware, my training situation is a little challenging at the moment. If I go, I want to make it a positive experience for my horse (and myself) so I will only go if I feel that we have done the appropriate preparation. Unfortunately I am not sure how I'd pull that off right now, but I have a few more weeks to work on it.

Thanks for all the help and for the links to previous courses; I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted... we'll see what happens!!

TSWJB
Sep. 9, 2009, 05:32 PM
Um, Vandy, didn't you win the very FIRST adult finals??

;)

[ducking and running, even though I'm older than Vandy]
very funny! so vandy, when was the very first adult finals?????
hey i wish i could do the new england adult finals. they look fun! i love eq! so how do you qualify for the finals. can someone from NJ show in vermont or NY and qualify?

hj0519
Sep. 9, 2009, 05:42 PM
hey i wish i could do the new england adult finals. they look fun! i love eq! so how do you qualify for the finals. can someone from NJ show in vermont or NY and qualify?

Yup. I know for adults they do it by points, unlike the juniors where you have to win the class once. I think you have to to get 10 points? And I think it's ten points for first, so if you win the class once then you're good. I'm hoping to go next year.

Sing Mia Song
Sep. 9, 2009, 06:34 PM

You can, indeed. People from Arizona, Texas and Florida have qualified and competed at the finals. You just have to qualify by winning one NEHC Medal class--at least that's how we qualified back in the day, ya know, when dinosaurs roamed the earth. ;)

FWIW, I first qualified for the junior medal in 1984 and aged out in 1986. Vandy's about three or four years younger than me, I think.

Smithereens
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the apples yet!! :) Or am I the only one who gets REALLY excited about those...

M. Owen
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:03 PM
They've made it a little easier now to qualify for the adults. You need to earn 10 points, not necessarily win the class once (although that would do it too, since a blue is worth 10). I think all the ribbons to 6th are worth points toward qualifying. The exact specs are on NEHC's website. I think juniors still have to win to qualify.

juststartingout
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:09 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the apples yet!! :) Or am I the only one who gets REALLY excited about those...

Apples - absolutely.... I would make the trip just for one of those!

KaterasEqGirl
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:11 PM
It is a fantastic final for adults and juniors alike. While the juniors get their video and dinner, the adults get a wild party at the salty dog. I can't say I have ever been since I'm still too young to go to the party, but I have heard some great stories. It an overall fun final, and definitly worth going to. Here is the site for the specs and what not. http://www.newenglandequitation.com/

lcbaker
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:20 PM
Like everyone else has said, it is a great show! While the courses are technical, they still allow the less experienced eq rider to put in a solid trip. I am by no means an eq rider, but was able to navigate the course without disaster. The adult party is a blast and yes, the apples are amazing!

Jumper6252
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:17 PM
I LOVEEEE New England. The courses are fun yet challenging. The final really brings out the best riders because they fit a lot of jumps into a rather small ring. Although, the courses are difficult they're "user friendly" so even the people that aren't the greatest riders are going to get around ok. I would definatley suggest going. And they have the best candy apples in the entire world!!

giddybiddy
Sep. 10, 2009, 12:10 AM
I'm coming home from college this year (all the way from VA!) to do New Englands! I'm a younger adult, and I'm SOOOO excited because the only finals I've ever done are Maine Medal Finals, which was fun but definitely much more low key.

I'm a little nervous because I'm leasing a horse for the weekend (and sharing it with another adult in our barn that's in another age group) and I don't know who it's going to be, and I'll only be able to ride it the day before the final to get used to it! But I'm riding tons of horses down here (at Hollins) so it's good practice :)

Hope to see you there! I've heard it's an amazing show.

anthem35
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:48 AM
Oh my goodness, you guys are too funny. But very encouraging!! :D

As those who know me are aware, my training situation is a little challenging at the moment. If I go, I want to make it a positive experience for my horse (and myself) so I will only go if I feel that we have done the appropriate preparation. Unfortunately I am not sure how I'd pull that off right now, but I have a few more weeks to work on it.

Thanks for all the help and for the links to previous courses; I really appreciate it. I'll keep you posted... we'll see what happens!!

Hi Vandy!

I showed up at ONE show this year, and said what the hell..I have had about 4 lessons in 3 years, but lets see what happens if I try to qual for NEEC.
Of course, as luck would ( and did) have it, I qualified.
I have done it a couple of times before, so I know what to expect.
I have NOT been riding NEARLY enough, or have had REMOTELY enough coaching, but I do have an auto-pilot horse (thank god for that!)....and figure we ( me and my horse!) arent getting any younger!
So, Im going to go, do my best, and have fun.

You should definitly go, have fun, and just let whatever happens, happen!

Hope to see you there!

BAC
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:36 AM

What's the deal with apples? :confused:

Sing Mia Song
Sep. 10, 2009, 11:49 AM
You guys are making me miss it so much! Last time I went (to watch) was in 96 (I last rode in 89, when it was still at Holyoke). I always loved the NE finals, and I wish I could afford to qualify and ship up just to participate. It's one of the only things that would ever entice me to consider moving back north.

Luckily, my good buddy Sean Rogers sustains my fix by sending me a copy of the program every year. :D

Horselove
Sep. 10, 2009, 12:04 PM
LOVE THE APPLES............Can't wait........MMMM Tofee, Chocolate, caramel, and .....oh yeh...an apple

danosaur
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:55 PM
what about the party at the salty dog?
as a junior, I've never been. But I've heard it's a great time :)
The junior party is awesome too with the video presentation. It's definitely my favorite final. I've been riding in it since I was twelve :yes:

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 10, 2009, 03:01 PM
They are candy apple type apples coated with chocolate!

Ainsley688
Sep. 10, 2009, 05:51 PM
Candy apples are a MUST! You cannot go and not get one. :D

Hunter/JumperMom
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:31 AM
dumb question but did they mail out a prize list for this show? We received the "medal", but I can't find a prize list anywhere??? Trying to download, but having adobe issues!! :confused: