PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for green jumper excercises please.

mrsbradbury
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:09 AM
I just wanted to hear from others about their green jumper experience/ advice.

I own a pretty cool (IMO) 5 y.o. UNK breeding WB mare, almost 17h. We started really jumping in June, she's been out to 4-5 local shows, and is now jumping the 2'6" hunters, any random other class offered, and proving to be a cool cucumber, no lunging, never spooks at the jump and tries.

However, here's my questions/ concerns?

Is step ever too big? Canter is improving dramatically, she can compress a bit. But her step is huge. In a normal 4 set at 2'6", (the barely 12' local show stride) I am THERE is 3. I can make 4 work, but then I look at pics someone takes and she looks bad. All ganagley. She doesn't really jump the 2'6", we kind of walk over them. :lol: I have had my ground person at home set the strides at a healthy 13', and it's easy for her then.

Am I creating probelms later with this path? I want to the horse to have exposure, but don't want to jump over 3' until the flat work is where I want it, or this winter when I start moving over to the rated shows. Currently on occassion I loose the outside shoulder through the turn, or she gets lost in a lead change. (Green horse stuff/ flat work/ I'm not too concerned.)

I part think that as she moves up, the bigger jumps will absorb some of this excess. I think later that the in-and-outs and tighter combinations may be hard. But this mare loves her gymnastics.

Any suggestions for excercises? etc. to share.

Czar
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:30 AM
If she's destined for jumpers than yes, it will for sure be a problem ;)

It's actually easier to work with/disguise a long stride in the hunters as you have more time in the corners to compress and you rarely jump less than a 3 stride line which again, means you have more time to shorten.

One of my favourite simple exercises with a green horse is stride poles. Set them at 48ft and practice putting in the correct 4 (no landing room with poles) and even adding up in 5. It's not as taxing on the horse b/c there is no jump to worry about - easier for them to concentrate on the step.

Once they are somewhat adjustable - add a jump in place of the second pole and set the "line" at 51ft...you don't have to leave landing room off of the pole and it's an excellent exercise to get them back on their haunches. It can be surprisingly challenging for a young horse the first couple of times - if it's proving near impossible; give an extra foot but the idea is to keep it on the shorter side so the horse learns to back off.

As a baby baby, it's the right thing to make the lines/gymnastics as accommodating as possible at home so you don't undermine confidence - however, as soon as they are starting to get into a bit of a program; it's best to set the lines for training purposes.

Good luck!

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:03 AM
One of my favourite simple exercises with a green horse is stride poles. Set them at 48ft and practice putting in the correct 4 (no landing room with poles) and even adding up in 5. It's not as taxing on the horse b/c there is no jump to worry about - easier for them to concentrate on the step.

I second this suggestions. I live on poles to work on my own eye as well as the adjustability of my greenies without the worry of straining their joints or over facing them.

I also suggest setting low bounces 3-4-5 in a row with cavalettis if you have them. you can build up the last one of even better, do alternating low-high-low etc. or even one-oxer (low and wide)-one. This isn't to be done frequently, but now and again I've found it helps my greenies rock back and learn to jump up rather than stretch out and become flat and once you're in, they have to do the rest and figure it out. Again, don't drill them, once you get a good flow through them, finish and come back again in a week or so.

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:18 AM
Also, here is a great website FULL of cavaletti exercises. I printed them out and have them in the barn to set up now and again: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/8909/home.html

jetsmom
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:18 PM
Cantering spirals will also teach your horse to rock back and compress his stride.