PDA

View Full Version : Attire for a Hunter Classic Class?

Pony'tude
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:52 AM
Sorry to throw out another question about attire, but I can't find an answer for this one......
my daughter is going to be in a Hunter Classic Class at a couple of shows coming up. I know that the attire is supposed to be more formal, i.e. navy or black jackets (shadbelly optional), with white shirts, black gloves and helmet, braided mane, etc..

My question is, can you do a stock tie with a standard jacket, for a more formal look, or just stick with the choker? Would it be totally innapropriate? I know you do the stock tie with a shadbelly, but cannot remembr if I have ever seen one with a hunt coat :confused:

Just for some more detail.....these classes are part of a competitive local circuit, not A or AA shows ( although we do get people from those ). She is a VERY mature looking 12 yo, and will be riding a 16.3 h horse. It is her first time doing these type of classes, and I want it to be special for her, and also for her to look appropriate. :)

wyldhorseb
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:55 AM
I see that you are from VA. So am I. =] I've seen the stock tie with hunt coat done at the SWVHJA Annual Show's Hunt Night once or twice and I vividly remember not liking the look. What classic/horse show would this be at?

Pony'tude
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:08 AM
It is the CHSA series. There is a 2 day show at Deep Run this weekend, sponsored by the Hunt Club, and there is a separate CHSA Classic that is held at the end of this month.

Thanks for your input.....I was thinking it might look odd also, but I am not planning on buying her a shadbelly for two shows :no: :no: I just thought it might give her a more formal (and special) look :)

JinxyFish313
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:09 AM
No shadbelly = no stock tie

Oldenburg99
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm in VA too. Anne (the lady who manages the show) said formal attire for her show is not expected because it was such short notice. If that helps with your decision.

MHM
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:57 AM

Ditto.

Many kids will borrow/lend the shadbellies for an occasional class, if you know somebody who has one.

I've heard tell of places that rent them, too.

If you use a shadbelly, please be sure to use a white shirt with it. The last-minute-borrowed-shad-and-stock-tie-with-lavender-shirt look is LAME.

Trixie
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:49 PM
I'd definitely skip the shad for a 12 year old at a local show. A dark coat (navy) will be totally fine.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 8, 2009, 01:16 PM
Ditto.

Many kids will borrow/lend the shadbellies for an occasional class, if you know somebody who has one.

I've heard tell of places that rent them, too.

If you use a shadbelly, please be sure to use a white shirt with it. The last-minute-borrowed-shad-and-stock-tie-with-lavender-shirt look is LAME.
I had a stock tie/bib type thing that covered up whatever shirt you wore underneath. Used to wear a t shirt under my shad for childrens and pony hunter classics :shhhhh:

HunterRider992
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:56 PM
You probably won't see to many at the Deep Run 2 day, but at The Classic (separate show) it will be almost entirely shadbellies but you could probably get by with a navy jacket & white shirt. You also could ask around and borrow a shad, I'm sure someone would be happy to lend you one for one horse show. Try posting on the CHSA website.

Pony'tude
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone, for the answers......I knew I could find it here :winkgrin:

We are going with the navy coat/white shirt combo for this weekend, and I may try to scrounge up a shad for the "official" Classic. It was never my intention to put her in a shad for the smaller one anyway, I think that would be "overdressing" :lol:

MHM
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:17 PM
We are going with the navy coat/white shirt combo for this weekend

This is always correct attire, even if you're the only one wearing it. :)

spmoonie
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone, for the answers......I knew I could find it here :winkgrin:

We are going with the navy coat/white shirt combo for this weekend, and I may try to scrounge up a shad for the "official" Classic. It was never my intention to put her in a shad for the smaller one anyway, I think that would be "overdressing" :lol:

Ive seen several shads on ebay recently for around 50 dollars. (Childrens sizes). Not too bad. ;)

Pony'tude
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:10 PM
I have "browsed" ebay lately, just out of curiosity, and also saw some pretty good deals on the kids shads. Unfortunately, my VERY tall, and....ahem.....somewhat "developed" 12 yo, does not wear kids sizes anymore :no: She is wearing a 6R in an RJ jacket :eek: When you start looking at adult shads, the prices go up significantly.....I just can't justify that kind of expense at this stage of the game. I have some time though, so maybe I can find one to "borrow". :)

Trixie
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:21 AM
It was never my intention to put her in a shad for the smaller one anyway, I think that would be "overdressing"

To some, a shad on ANY junior rider is "overdressing." Historically, they're inappropriate for children.

SidesaddleRider
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:47 PM

FALSE.

I suggest you look up what "formal hunting attire" really is.

Yes, a shadbelly is the HEIGHT of formal attire (for ladies only, never on children), but a white stocktie with a navy or black coat is 100% proper.

Oldenburg99
Sep. 9, 2009, 03:28 PM
the prize list for the CHSA Classic says "wear a dk blue or black coat with white shirts and white stock tie. Black boots and black approved helmets are required.

Hope this helps Pony'tude!