PDA

View Full Version : Ariat Adult Medals anyone?

tidy rabbit
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hi All,

I'm thinking I'd like to show in this division in 2010.
Anyone out there doing it this year and could share your experiences?

I'm in zone 5.

thanks!

Giddy-up
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:58 AM
I believe that's the medal where you only need 1 rider for it to run. It runs many times with only 1-2 riders in this area. The qualifying classes here are usually scheduled when the aa hunters run so it's either a hunter course or a very simple eq course using hunter jumps (roll back, broken line).

Where are the Finals held? And I'd find out the qualifying dates--you might already be able to start getting points now for the 2010 Finals. :)

tidy rabbit
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:15 AM
Here's the rules... http://www.ryegate.com/NAM/nam_qual.htm

And you are right, the qualifing dates are 8/21/xx - 8/20/xx. :)

The final is held in conjunction with Capital Challenge.

Two Black Cats
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hi there!

As a fellow Zone 5'er (IL), I do the adult medals: Marshall and Sterling, Ariat, and my local medal (IHJA). There typically aren't a ton of entries in these classes in my neck of the woods, so thus it makes qualifying for Ariat's national final (at Capital Challenge) close to impossible out here from a numbers perspective. You acquire points based on your placing and the number of entries in the class, and well, if you are not showing against 10+ people every time out then you most likely won't get enought points to qualify - just take a look at all of the riders who are in the top 50 nationally - most from the east coast where they compete at shows with larger pools of entries in the class as opposed to the 1-8 riders we typically get out here.

Now, the Marshall and Sterling is a different animal, so to speak, as there is a midwest regional final at the Showplace Fall Festival (IL) every year. I think that they take the top 30 or so in the midwest for the finals, and as long as you have some points on the board, you'll qualify as there aren't a ton of people who are doing the class. If you are excited about doing a final and (like me) can't hoof it down to Florida to get the Ariat points you need, this is a great option.

Hope this helps, and PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!

Lucassb
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:39 AM
In my area, the Ariat is usually run combined with another class - frequently the PHA. It is a standard eq class. I didn't chase Ariat points this year but did go for the PHA (finishing in reserve for the year) so I rode in the class a number of times and enjoyed it.

touchstone-
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:25 AM
It's a very cool final at the Capital Challenge. But it is hard to qualify for, especially if you're not in an area with a lot of adult equitation riders.

Over the last few years, it's taken about 500 points to get into the finals. As others have said, you get 10 points for a win times the number of competitors (and fewer points for lower placings). You can do the math.

Qualifying classes are required to use open numerical scoring in the first round and a test of the top four competitors. So even if you don't qualify for the finals, it's great equitation practice.

Renn/aissance
Sep. 8, 2009, 01:03 PM
It's a fun class to use to practice because of the open numerical scoring and the work-off. I personally save my money for classes where I can have a shot at finals without needing to point chase, but if you're not a broke college student, enjoy having the opportunity to play in an equitation class that is guaranteed to fill!

TSWJB
Sep. 8, 2009, 01:21 PM
its a really fun class! i qualified a few years ago and i think they take the top 20 and then they take the winner of each region. which to me is not fair. i understand that people in regions that dont have alot of adult eq riders its hard to qualify, but some of the invitations that were extended before me had 20 points. i had about 600 points and really qualified at the lower end of the pack. luckily it seemed that most of the regional winners with barely any points went to the finals.
in my region, the eq classes are really hunter trips with some roll backs thrown in. but the testing can get fun. i rode for the first time ever without stirrups over 3ft when i got called back for the testing. believe it or not, they asked for riding the course without stirrups quite a few times. but i learned i could do it! i would recommend anyone qualifying that they do some jumper courses for practice because the finals has a triple and can be quite complicated.
good luck in qualifying! i really would like to compete in the Ariat with my new horse when he steps up to the 3ft. i want to do that more than ride in the hunters! its much more fun especially if you get to test!

Giddy-up
Sep. 8, 2009, 02:02 PM
hmm....so taking in this info that the regional winner gets an automatic invite regardless of where they fall on the National list I did some more searching.

For Zone 5 in 2009, the "winner" had 508 points. That also put her 25th on the National list. 2nd place rider had 358 points & didn't even get an invite so Zone 5 is only sending 1 rider this year. The #1 rider on the National list was 1,195 points (or about, can't quite recall)).

Truthfully I think this is a hard to medal to qualify for since not many people around here are interested in the Finals so they don't enter. If you are looking at attending 20 shows you may stand a chance, but not if you are always the only rider since that's only 200 points. Obviously your best bet to qualify is to be #1 in the Region since it's an automatice invite. Or be a very close 2nd with a lot of points & pray it's enough.

Midge
Sep. 8, 2009, 03:17 PM
I loved doing the Ariat, but also struggled to qualify because of low entries. You can't win enough three person classes to go. I also didn't get an early enough start, so you are smart to think about it now.

Fortunately for me, I snuck in at the very end by going to a show that has the Ariat on Friday and the Ariat was the only opportunity for the adults to get in the ring before their hunter classes. I was 2nd out of 45 the second to last week-end to qualify.

If you are the only entry, have them hold the class anyway. I turned it down twice as the only entry and having the extra 20 points would have moved me up several more people at the Final. (You come back in the reverse order of your qualifying points.)

bascher
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:56 PM
It's a really neat class, and I've been fortunate enough to go to horse shows where the entries are very high. Unfortunately this year I'm 35th and they've taken the top 30 or 31 so far (with people backing out, etc.) so I can only cross my fingers! The class is really different depending on which shows you go to, but most have bending lines, rollbacks, etc. And the tests differ also, I've had very straightforward ones consisting of just cantering jumps, and other ones (like the one I had this past weekend) that made us do a simple lead change, counter-canter, etc. I'd highly recommend it though!

snaffle635
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:30 PM
I'm in Zone 5. One of my girlfriends was trying to qualify this year and showed a lot in St. Louis - which is (I think) Zone 7. There were more entries than Zone 5 so she got more points.

So, I think you really have to strategize where you're likely to get the most points.

Sadly, her horse passed away quite unexpectedly in March and she hasn't show much since then. Maybe next year.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Wish my eq was up to par. :-) Something to work on!

Midge
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:44 AM
snaffle, no one would call me an eq. rider, but I worked hard to be able to answer the questions. It was fun and all I wanted was to show in the Finals. I had no expectation of being a second rounder.

Doing the class and watching the Big Eq. kids really helped my equitation.