PDA

View Full Version : Equitation Critique

Hunter-Eq rider
Sep. 8, 2009, 02:37 AM
Hey everyone! I would love an equitation critique, here is a video from a class at my last show, and it’s a flat video. It's a hunter under saddle class, not an Eq, but I would still like a critique on my Eq.

This wasn't my best class, there was only one other rider so I was just going in there kind of relaxed, not really competitive. A little bit of information...

My horse is only 3, I understand that she is really young, this is only her third show, and even though it is a rated show, we go for the experience. She has only shown at the facility once before, so she was still getting used to the arena I was riding in, she was a little looky on the far side of the ring because I horse was grazing. She usually places in the top three in the hunters.

The things I noticed, My tall boots are huge on me, but I think my leg is pretty good, my hands get a little noisy in the far end when she's looking around a little, my change of direction I drifted in to soon, I shouldn't have glanced so long for my diagonal. I need to bring in my elbows, and shorten my rein. I got a little too noisy posting, I should probably slow my posting and ask her for a longer stride, not quicker.

Any critique would be appreciated, I really just want to improve my riding in any way possible, this wasn't my best round, but please, tare me apart.

We won this class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGt8ZQv4u50

Sorry, youtube killed the quality.

Hauwse
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:42 AM
Well, if your horse is only 3 she deserves some serious kudos.

As far as your equitation goes you seem to have critiqued yourself. Everything you said was dead on.

You always have to remember though equitation classes are focused on you, but a large part of it is that seamless connection between you and the horse, and all the little things you spoke of, getting a little noisy, well, those are the elements that take away from that seamless picture.

Now, you should not be looking for the diagonal at all, not even quickly. In an equitation class that is a death nail. You have to learn to feel your horses hip move forward, the indicator that the hind leg is moving forward. That is your your cue for the diagonal. I would rather see a rider, especially a young rider, miss it or sit a few strides than see them peeking.

The other thing I do not like to see in a eq. class is a rider in any position other than full contact at the canter. You are getting in to, almost, a two point at the canter. This is the easiest stride to execute excellent equitation, but if you are in a two point you are opening angles, which takes away from the look you want in an equitation class. Opening the angles also has the potential to loosen your base of support, and all too often your angles are opening and closing with each stride. Not what your eq judge is looking for. Keep your seat in the saddle and equitate the best you can at the canter.

The last thing I see is you are chicken winging a little bit, elbows are getting outside of you. You need to try to almost keep them pinned to your side without sacrificing softness and feel. Now your arms are not very long and that makes it harder for you, but if you need to open the distance between your hands, and thumb up a bit. Remembering that the finesse must be maintained.

There is not a whole to critique. Just keep focused and working on the important parts and it will all come together.

actcasual
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:59 AM
When I first started the video, my initial reaction was, "Wow -- what a lovely leg." As it went on though, I started to wonder if your leg was as active and supportive as it is pretty. The issues you described, the 'lookiness' in your horse and the relatively short stride, those can go away with a leg that is as useful as it is attractive.

Hunter-Eq rider
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:53 PM
Well, if your horse is only 3 she deserves some serious kudos.

As far as your equitation goes you seem to have critiqued yourself. Everything you said was dead on.

You always have to remember though equitation classes are focused on you, but a large part of it is that seamless connection between you and the horse, and all the little things you spoke of, getting a little noisy, well, those are the elements that take away from that seamless picture.

Now, you should not be looking for the diagonal at all, not even quickly. In an equitation class that is a death nail. You have to learn to feel your horses hip move forward, the indicator that the hind leg is moving forward. That is your your cue for the diagonal. I would rather see a rider, especially a young rider, miss it or sit a few strides than see them peeking.

The other thing I do not like to see in a eq. class is a rider in any position other than full contact at the canter. You are getting in to, almost, a two point at the canter. This is the easiest stride to execute excellent equitation, but if you are in a two point you are opening angles, which takes away from the look you want in an equitation class. Opening the angles also has the potential to loosen your base of support, and all too often your angles are opening and closing with each stride. Not what your eq judge is looking for. Keep your seat in the saddle and equitate the best you can at the canter.

The last thing I see is you are chicken winging a little bit, elbows are getting outside of you. You need to try to almost keep them pinned to your side without sacrificing softness and feel. Now your arms are not very long and that makes it harder for you, but if you need to open the distance between your hands, and thumb up a bit. Remembering that the finesse must be maintained.

There is not a whole to critique. Just keep focused and working on the important parts and it will all come together.

Thank you so much for the critique, it was very informative. I just wanted to clarify one thing,I usually do get into a full seat in the Eq classes, this was a hunter under saddle class, that's why I am in my half seat. :)

Hunter-Eq rider
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:54 PM
When I first started the video, my initial reaction was, "Wow -- what a lovely leg." As it went on though, I started to wonder if your leg was as active and supportive as it is pretty. The issues you described, the 'lookiness' in your horse and the relatively short stride, those can go away with a leg that is as useful as it is attractive.

Thanks, I actually do have a really strong leg, but I think in this video I am using more hand then leg, which is also something I need to work on.

Hunter-Eq rider
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:39 PM
Bumping this thread up :)

UrbanHunterAntics
Sep. 12, 2009, 01:35 PM
Is this the Wine Country Classic in Santa Rosa?

cantercutie
Sep. 12, 2009, 09:08 PM
Wow! I'm assuming your horse is three just turned four not two just turned three? I'm only saying this because she looks lovely and very well filled out for so young, as well as being well behaved! We have a horse at the farm who just turned five and she has just finally crossed the bridge to sanity!

Anyways, your horse's canter is just lovely and you have extremely nice equitation with just a few minor issues. I have no problem with your riding in the two point at the canter in a hunter flat class and you have a nice, quiet leg. Your heel slips up a little I think when you squeeze sometimes, but nothing drastic. I know your horse is young and was being a little spooky but try and keep a light contact throughout the ride because when she lifted her head you had to react and kind of jerk it back down so the whole situation was a little more noticeable than it could have been if you'd had a light contact with at least one of your reins and could have slowly guided her back down. The light contact backed up with leg will keep your horse moving forward, also. On your downward transitions you seem to totally take you leg off and rely on your hand so your seat becomes a little loose. Remember to keep enough support with your leg so that it remains quiet and maybe shorten your reins a hair for the downward transition. You have a nice, flat back and overall good equitation and I hope at least some of what I said made sense!

Hunter-Eq rider
Sep. 13, 2009, 02:52 AM
Wow! I'm assuming your horse is three just turned four not two just turned three? I'm only saying this because she looks lovely and very well filled out for so young, as well as being well behaved! We have a horse at the farm who just turned five and she has just finally crossed the bridge to sanity!

Anyways, your horse's canter is just lovely and you have extremely nice equitation with just a few minor issues. I have no problem with your riding in the two point at the canter in a hunter flat class and you have a nice, quiet leg. Your heel slips up a little I think when you squeeze sometimes, but nothing drastic. I know your horse is young and was being a little spooky but try and keep a light contact throughout the ride because when she lifted her head you had to react and kind of jerk it back down so the whole situation was a little more noticeable than it could have been if you'd had a light contact with at least one of your reins and could have slowly guided her back down. The light contact backed up with leg will keep your horse moving forward, also. On your downward transitions you seem to totally take you leg off and rely on your hand so your seat becomes a little loose. Remember to keep enough support with your leg so that it remains quiet and maybe shorten your reins a hair for the downward transition. You have a nice, flat back and overall good equitation and I hope at least some of what I said made sense!

Haha, no, actually she just turned three in May, and thanks! She doesn't look nor act three, but she is. :) She's a sweetheart. Thank you for the critique, I totally get what you are saying, and I will definitely work on it as soon as I get home!!

Hunter-Eq rider
Sep. 13, 2009, 02:53 AM
Is this the Wine Country Classic in Santa Rosa?

It was the Wine Country Classic, but it was at Leone's this year.

Hunter-Eq rider
Sep. 29, 2009, 10:55 PM
Bumping this up :)