PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts after watching my trainer ride

Ellie&Werther
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:09 PM
I got to go out to the barn and watch my trainer ride my horse today. I haven't had that opportunity lately because of work. It was fascinating. She was able to talk me through a lot of what she was doing and why. This isn't a exact blow by blow of the session, but these are the exercises that really stood out to me.
1. Early in the ride, after warming up she did a lot of shoulder in at the trot down the long side of the ring, stopping at the short side to do some turn on the forehand, the going back down the long side and doing renvers. She did this exercise several times to loosen him up and get him jazzed up about the ride.
2. The second highlight of the ride for me was something new she just started doing with Werther today. She had him to eight meter leg yield circles at the trot, kind of coiling him up like spring, and then made him give a really good quality trot across the diagonal, so he has more air time at the trot and gets stronger and already improves upon a already very good gait.
3. My trainer's rides are a little like circuit training for people, after doing that bit of strength training, she made sure to do more stretching exercises at the trot and gave him a walk break. After this she did some schooling canter pirouettes intermixed with some extended canter. I haven't seen Werther do pirouettes before, so even though they were not show ring pirouettes, they were still fun to watch.
4. Lastly she rode Werther through training level test 4 for me today. It was really good opportunity for me to see how she would ride the test. It helped me to understand the serpentines a lot better, the bend is actually a lot more understated that I thought it was when I have been riding them.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:33 PM
Awesome! Isn't it wonderful when you can learn so much by watching someone else ride your horse? Bet your next ride with him will be better as a result.

whicker
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks for sharing, Ellie. Please tell your trainer "thank you" from us. Is she working at a posting trot at the begining or does she go directly into the seated trot?

Werther is much more advanced than my greenies, but I was wondering, since it is really hard for me to sit the trot at this point.

Carol O
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:41 PM
It always makes me watch in wonder, how a horse, when ridden properly, goes properly.

I love to watch my trainer ride my horses too, but I always say to her "talk to me. What are you doing, and why." A great way to learn!

Ellie&Werther
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for sharing, Ellie. Please tell your trainer "thank you" from us. Is she working at a posting trot at the begining or does she go directly into the seated trot?

Werther is much more advanced than my greenies, but I was wondering, since it is really hard for me to sit the trot at this point.

I'm trying to think because I was adjusting the spacing of some of our letters as she was warming up. I believe she did the warm up around the ring posting, then once she got into the ring and started working she went into sitting. When she rode the T-4 test for she rode it in the posting trot because that is how I am currently riding my tests.

eventerchick517
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know about your trainer but mine has a VERY firm opinion on sitting/posting. He thinks the first 30min should be ridden in a posting trot/light seat canter for greenies. As they get more advanced he goes down to about 15-20min. Personally I post for the whole ride. My sitting trot is more like a torture device than somthing of ellegence(sp?).:lol::rolleyes:;)

Leena
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:48 PM
This is great when you have that opportunity to watch that kind of work !

Ellie&Werther
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:23 AM
It always makes me watch in wonder, how a horse, when ridden properly, goes properly.

I love to watch my trainer ride my horses too, but I always say to her "talk to me. What are you doing, and why." A great way to learn!

I agree completely. The best funny/helpful comment today was, "Werther likes to keep his neck a little short, like he is a orange swan." "This can lead to hollowness, you want to see the neck stretching out and not up." :lol:

dwblover
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:39 AM
I usually learn a lot more from watching a better rider school my horse than getting a lesson myself. I feel like I can get on and try to replicate what I just watched them doing. If only I could have someone else warm-up my horse every ride.:winkgrin:

eponacelt
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:44 AM

I have this thought frequently! Like the other day when my horse kept picking up the wrong canter lead. When I actually PREPARED and ASKED properly, he did it PROPERLY (and gave me a look of "well if that's what you wanted you should have asked me right the first time).

LD1129
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:45 AM
I love watching my trainer ride my horse. She even took him to a schooling show so I could watch them ride T3 and T4 for me. If helps me so much visually. Sometimes she will even explain what she is doing at each exercise ie leg pressure ect. and then I get to see the results right then and there.

piaffequeen
Sep. 8, 2009, 07:27 PM
I love watching my trainer ride my guy. Especially when Sam's pop up timer goes off and he thinks he is done! (That's my fault since I only ride him for about 20-30 minutes. I have started riding longer!)

This weekend was a perfect example! THey had a great ride going for about 35 minutes when Sam decided-I'm done! Lynn said no and asked him to canter which he loves to do! But he kept staying on her leg and leaning expecting her to hold him up (Lazy Boy! :)) She kept saying no and finally just really booted him hard with her spur-first time she EVER had to do that! Sam got pissed or his version of pissed-shook his head no and grunted loudly! Lynn just laughed and said get over it. Put him back into the canter to come down to a trot down to a walk to give him a bit of a break and he jigged at the walk. Back to the trot-so he does his version of a gaited horse or standardbred in hobbles. Nope-not acceptable! Back into the canter and he protests by rearing-(mind you 1/2 inch of the ground is all he has ever gone up-too much effort! and he is not a malicious horse by any means!) Lynn meanwhile is like Really? and smiling!

Gets a beautiful canter and she asks for a trot and he does a really nice round trot-forward and finally comes down to a walk. She ends on that note and gives him a huge pat. Sam stops and just huffs! :D Lynn said to him we would have walked a lot sooner if ya woudn't have jigged! Of course like I said its mostly my fault for not riding longer.

Sorry so long!

FillyMe
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:19 PM
I am fortunate enough to have my trainer school my horse on a regular basis too. I also find it educational to watch and learn. I guess I am a visual learner. I also love to get on after her when he is warmed up and like butta. I am including a Youtube link (hope it works) of a training session last week that I decided to take my regular camera with video capabilities out to see if I can get some video of him. Anyway, it is just a 3 minute segment but you can get an idea of some of her schooling techniques. He was already warmed up by the time this segment was recorded. You an see his issues that she is working on as well. Would not mind hearing any comments or suggestions. Just a reminder, Sully is a Lusitano, just turned 11 a few weeks ago, and is schooling 3rd level and some of the FEI level things as well. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJjY67Xzz2I