PDA

View Full Version : Clippers

SkipChange
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:02 PM
I can't believe it's almost time to clip again. It is the beginning of September and I live in Alabama. :eek: My 12h pony is already getting fluffy despite the heat, she usually needs a clip in early October and has a full winter coat grown back by December. I know my new horse will need to be clipped too and I might possibly make a little $ clipping for other boarders (last winter I got several offers but my clippers broke...)

So Broken clippers. The "laminated spring" (i think), the piece that moves the blade back and forth, broke on one side. This is not something I can fix myself, obviously. I feel like the part will be pretty cheap to replace but then factor in labor and shipping costs...body clippers are HEAVY. Any idea how much this is going to cost, or more importantly WHERE I can send these? Located in Auburn, AL--well the clippers would be shipping from MS actually as they I forgot to bring them to college.

I am considering just buying some new dang clippers. I've had this pair for 5 years and haven't taken super care of them. I probably would need to buy new clipper blades for the old pair if I kept them and then with repairs I just worry if my $ might be better spent investing in a new pair. Suggestions?

My old pair are these:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/oster-variable-speed-clipmaster-horse-clipper/p/X1-1802/cn/168/

Why are these so much cheaper?
http://www.doversaddlery.com/oster-turbo-a-5-2-speed-horse-clipper/p/X1-1891/cn/168/

Suggestions on other brands/models welcome.

lintesia
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:43 PM
I love the Star Lister clippers. They're much lighter than the Osters and the vent is such that the hair doesn't blow in your face. I've always used the "Fine" blade that comes with the clippers but a few weeks ago I clipped my horse using the "Medium" blade and was really pleased with the result.

I bought the Oster Clipmaster clippers last winter to have as a back-up set, but after using them on 1/2 a horse, I put them away and have just now (a few hours ago!) sold them. If I decide I need a second set, I'll buy the Star Listers again!

sansibar
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:21 PM
I bought the andis ones with the light I clipped a LARGE warmblood in 45 minutes with them and a medium in 30 minutes, with no clippers lines, and I had never clipped before! They are cheap and they come with a mini clipper also.

SkipChange
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:28 PM
I love the Star Lister clippers. They're much lighter than the Osters and the vent is such that the hair doesn't blow in your face. I've always used the "Fine" blade that comes with the clippers but a few weeks ago I clipped my horse using the "Medium" blade and was really pleased with the result.

I bought the Oster Clipmaster clippers last winter to have as a back-up set, but after using them on 1/2 a horse, I put them away and have just now (a few hours ago!) sold them. If I decide I need a second set, I'll buy the Star Listers again!

Lightweight and no hair blowing in my face sounds soo appealing! Will consider them!

I bought the andis ones with the light I clipped a LARGE warmblood in 45 minutes with them and a medium in 30 minutes, with no clippers lines, and I had never clipped before! They are cheap and they come with a mini clipper also.

What model are your Andis ones?
Here's a link to Dover's list of Andis clippers if that helps
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-18034&ids=697129583
The one with a light looks exciting!

sansibar
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:17 PM
Lightweight and no hair blowing in my face sounds soo appealing! Will consider them!

What model are your Andis ones?
Here's a link to Dover's list of Andis clippers if that helps
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-18034&ids=697129583
The one with a light looks exciting!

Yup those are the ones I bought, except I bought the dog ones (the width of the blade is all that varies)

Some stores sell them with the mini clippers also some don't, mine were $189 CAD with both clippers, but I have seen the small clippers for about $60 sold separately

www.bahrsaddlery.com was where I bought mine from :)

They are great for dark barns! I even clip my golden retriever with them. Blades are pretty cheap also.

So easy to clean, and they don't over heat!

:)

SkipChange
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:42 AM
Well I'm not much closer to deciding. :( I like what I hear about investigating the Star Listers doing a search. But the weird blades seem like a lot of trouble. People say the Andis brand can't handle a super thick coat. But my barn is perpetually dark, the light seems like a good idea, wonder if it actually helps significantly.

sansibar
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:20 AM
Well I'm not much closer to deciding. :( I like what I hear about investigating the Star Listers doing a search. But the weird blades seem like a lot of trouble. People say the Andis brand can't handle a super thick coat. But my barn is perpetually dark, the light seems like a good idea, wonder if it actually helps significantly.

The Andis have clipped through my golden retrievers coat a few times (dont worry she has never been shaved naked lol just her under belly, legs and butt feathers were shaved), I have had no problems. The light it really cool, you can really see if you have missed any spots with it, and I find it helps in barns where your horse is not under a bright light.

lintesia
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:11 AM

I never had a problem with the original "Fine" blades that came with the clippers, and I clipped quite a few horses with excellent results. But when I got a second set of the fine blades, they clipped way too short! I then bought a set of the "Medium" blades which I just had an opportunity to use (my horse gets Melatonin for headshaking and had grown a woolly winter coat). They clipped beautifully! People couldn't even tell he had been clipped -- he looked like he had a normal summer coat. So, I understand your concern about the blades. Speaking for myself, I'm sticking with the mediums.

BAC
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:23 PM
I don't do body clipping myself but if I did I would buy the Lister Star clippers, based solely on the many wonderful recommendations I have read about them on this BB the last several years. If you do a search, I am sure you will find lots of info on clippers and the Lister Star model.

Renn/aissance
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:03 AM

I am not sure how you would classify "super thick coat," but for what it's worth, here is my experience. I have had my Andis AGC Super-2 Speeds for three years now. My horse is firmly convinced he is going to go to Antarctica for the winter and is body clipped at least three times between August and March. The resulting pile of hair on the floor is the approximate size, shape, and density of a medium-sized dog. I have had no trouble with the clippers that wasn't caused by user stupidity and recommend them to just about everyone I know who asks, because I have been so happy with them.

kellyb
Sep. 10, 2009, 01:29 PM
I have the Oster Turbo A5s, I like them, despite the fact that they seem to have a bad rep around here!

I liked that they were (relatively) inexpensive. Also, they are light and very maneuverable. I've used the big honking clipmasters before and for me at least, it was not as easy. Plus, my nag was NOT cool with the clipmasters at all (noisier? bigger?). He was much better with my A5.

sweetpea
Sep. 10, 2009, 03:21 PM
Oh if I only had the lister star first.

As far as the blades:

Fine Blade-- Use it if you have 3 weeks to a show and they look awesome.

Medium Blade-- I prefer this cut!!

Blades are no biggie----

LauraAU
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:56 PM
There is a place in Atlanta that you can send them to for repairs and they do blade sharpening. Very nice people to deal with and very fast and reasonably priced. The name is CJ's Grooming Tools. Don't think they have a website but you can find their number in yellowpages.com. I have the Star Lister clippers and have been very pleased with them. I know several people who have bought the Andis AGR (i think that's the model--comes with the wide blade) and if was buying right now I would get those----much lighter and seems to clip faster and much less line problems.

maddyh
Sep. 11, 2009, 02:24 PM
I use these clippers:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=540&cat_id=38

I have had them for three years now, clipped MANY horses and ponies, and have had no problems whatsoever.