PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else getting sick and tired of...

GreystoneKC
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:55 PM
... all the threads around here which are basically sale ads masquerading as legit threads? Seriously, they get more and more clever every day. It's irritating. I try very hard to keep my posts focused and within the rules. Sometimes I'd like to ask a question or get some advice about buying or selling, but don't post it because, to myself, it seems like i might be a little "borderline". It's one thing to have a link in your signature that links to a farm site with sale horses or photos that include sale horses... that way, if we want to find them, we can do so on our own time - not with you shoving them down our throat.

Oh, and if you're going to be shiesty about marketing your creature around here, why not at least make sure you're not asking $867,000 for your 12h donkey/warmblood cross that's just, like, so AMAZING at EVERYTHING!!!!!!?

Nevermind, keep posting. At least I know I'm getting my laugh for the day!

..and now I step off my soap box...

Horseshowaddict
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:07 PM
Yes.

Janet
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:13 PM
Do you alert the mods i you think a post is "over the line"?

twobays
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:28 PM
honestly, it never crossed my mind... :confused:

klmck63
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but I can't say any post has ever come across to me as thinly disguised advertising. Just notify the Mods if you really have a problem with it. If they agree, bye-bye thread!

2hsmommy
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
I get a giggle out of them. Kind of like when I catch my kiddos doing something they know they shouldn't then try to hide/undo it when they see me watching.....hmm, my horse does that too.....

GreystoneKC
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:38 PM
Do you alert the mods i you think a post is "over the line"?

To be honest, no. I don't feel it's my job to be the police around here. I don't have that much free time to hang out around here that I would take the time to rat people out, I guess. It was just a moment where I realized that there had been quite a few of these lately and it rubbed me the wrong way. But I guess if I'm going to complain about it I better be willing to put my money where my mouth is, lol.

Foxtrot's
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:50 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the poster's webpage being put at the end of the post. In fact I've found them interesting. A lot of the breeders here have a lot of advice and are willing to pass it along.

But there is the the odd stallion owner who pipes up at every opportunity saying to try their stallion on every darned mare that has ever had a fertile egg.

MHM
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:53 PM
I don't have that much free time to hang out around here that I would take the time to rat people out

It takes two seconds. Hit the alert icon, type the word "ad," hit send. Done.

If it bothers you that much, do something about it.

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:56 AM
honestly, i wish there were a section for sales. It would be a good way to network between buyer and seller.

WorthTheWait95
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:03 AM
honestly, i wish there were a section for sales. It would be a good way to network between buyer and seller.

There is a section for sales. It's at the end of the page and called 'classifieds' ;).

Janet
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:32 AM
But I guess if I'm going to complain about it I better be willing to put my money where my mouth is, lol.
Yes, it takes a lot less time to click on the "alert" than to start a whole new thread on it.

ExJumper
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:37 PM
Agreed that it is faster to hit "alert" than it is to start a whole thread.

And I think the Mods are actually a bit quick to pull something for supposed advertising. I have a never-expiring black mark against me because two years ago I asked how much having bad feet would hurt the price of an otherwise sound and sane show horse. Horse wasn't ever for sale -- I was just curious. Yet now I sit on the brink of eternal damnation because I dared to ask that question.

So I think the Mods do a stand up, if even TOO enthusiastic, job policing the forums for ads. And you should learn to use the alert button if it bothers you that much.

Coppers mom
Sep. 8, 2009, 02:17 PM
Some, I don't mind, but others I do report. There was one a while ago that was basically "I have really cheap horses. They are this old, do this, this, and this, and are fabulous. Any advice?".

Yeah, advertise somewhere else.

GreystoneKC
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:07 AM
Yes, it takes a lot less time to click on the "alert" than to start a whole new thread on it.

Considering I have no idea what you and MHM are talking about with the "alert" button and would be going through sending a PM to a mod if I so chose to complain about one, I don't think it's all that unreasonable. I also might not even hit the "alert" button, whatever it is, on these posts. Why? First, because I am not the COTH police - it's not my job to rat them out for advertising. If the mods find it unacceptable, I'm sure they'll find it. Second, maybe I don't think it's all *that* bad. Like ExJumper said, she got shunned for however long because someone ratted her out. I don't feel the need to do that to someone on that account maybe unless it's very blatant. I'd rather shun the very evil and inappropriate posters. ;-) I just don't particularly like my time wasted when I go to read a thread that seems interesting, but it turns out to give me a vibe of being contrived simply to advertise.

I also see no reason why people on this thread need to be snippy. My point was clearly stated in the title and hover-over and if you don't agree or didn't care to discuss, you really didn't need to waste your time reading it. But please feel free to explain the "alert" button, because while I might not use it in this case, I know a few times in the past there have been a few posters I would love to have just BEEPED!

jn4jenny
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:12 AM
Considering I have no idea what you and MHM are talking about with the "alert" button and would be going through sending a PM to a mod if I so chose to complain about one, I don't think it's all that unreasonable.

It's the little "!" shaped icon at the top right of every post. Try pressing it sometime. It will take you to a screen where you can enter a little note for the mods about why the post might be problematic.

I report one or two posts each week, usually for either advertising or blatant rudeness to another OP (like calling someone else an idiot who doesn't deserve to walk the face of the earth).

I also might not even hit the "alert" button, whatever it is, on these posts. Why? First, because I am not the COTH police - it's not my job to rat them out for advertising. If the mods find it unacceptable, I'm sure they'll find it.

ROFLMAO. You think the mods sit around all day and read every single post on every thread!? This is a community. Just like you'd report a rule breaking problem in real life to the real life police (who don't go around staring in everyone's window constantly to see if there's a new case of rule-breaking), you'd report a virtual rule breaking problem to the mods.

Or perhaps you prefer to free-load on the community and let the rest of us pick up the slack. That's...charming.

I also see no reason why people on this thread need to be snippy. My point was clearly stated in the title and hover-over and if you don't agree or didn't care to discuss, you really didn't need to waste your time reading it.

Um, we ARE discussing it. The last time I checked, everyone on this thread had pressed the "Reply" button and gave their response to your original post. That's called a "discussion".

Janet
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:04 AM
Considering I have no idea what you and MHM are talking about with the "alert" button and would be going through sending a PM to a mod if I so chose to complain about one, I don't think it's all that unreasonable. It is the little triangle with the exclamation point.

Clicking on it lets you send a short note.

It doesn't constitute a complaint, and certainly not "policing" or "ratting".

It simply tells the mods (who can't possibly check every single thread and post) that "you might want to look at this one".

I also might not even hit the "alert" button, whatever it is, on these posts. Why? First, because I am not the COTH police - it's not my job to rat them out for advertising. If the mods find it unacceptable, I'm sure they'll find it. Second, maybe I don't think it's all *that* bad. Like ExJumper said, she got shunned for however long because someone ratted her out.

I don't see how anyone gets "shunned" from an alert for an ad. All that happens is the post is deleted or closed. You don't get banned for a questionalble ad.

I don't feel the need to do that to someone on that account maybe unless it's very blatant. I'd rather shun the very evil and inappropriate posters. ;-) I just don't particularly like my time wasted when I go to read a thread that seems interesting, but it turns out to give me a vibe of being contrived simply to advertise.
You want to have your cake AND eat it too.

I also see no reason why people on this thread need to be snippy. My point was clearly stated in the title and hover-over and if you don't agree or didn't care to discuss, you really didn't need to waste your time reading it. But please feel free to explain the "alert" button, because while I might not use it in this case, I know a few times in the past there have been a few posters I would love to have just BEEPED!

I didn't see anyone being "snippy".

But I am confused by this bit

"if you don't agree or didn't care to discuss, you really didn't need to waste your time reading it."

You seem to be saying that only people who "agree" are allowed to "discuss"

ExJumper
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:04 AM
It's the little "!" shaped icon at the top right of every post. Try pressing it sometime. It will take you to a screen where you can enter a little note for the mods about why the post might be problematic.

You do have to be logged in to see the button, though. That took me longer to figure out than it should have ;)

ExJumper
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:08 AM
I don't see how anyone gets "shunned" from an alert for an ad. All that happens is the post is deleted or closed. You don't get banned for a questionalble ad.

Actually, you do. I don't know how many "infraction points" you have to accrue before you get banned, but I have one! This is what it says on my control panel:

Latest Infractions Received

Post--------Date---------------Expires----Points---Reason--------Posted By
Infraction--May. 28, 2007-----Never-----1---------Advertising----Erin

Janet
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:19 AM
Interesting.

Where do you see that?

Can anyone else see it? If not, how would they shun you?

ExJumper
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:24 AM
Interesting.

Where do you see that?

Can anyone else see it? If not, how would they shun you?

No, the shunning would occur after I got MORE infraction points and got banned. No one else can see my infraction -- though it sits heavy on my otherwise clean soul.

:)

I merely shared for the benefit of those reading this thread.

MHM
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:48 AM
I merely shared for the benefit of those reading this thread.

Thanks. I had to go check my CP to see if I was blissfully unaware of such a thing on my record.

Speaking of being blissfully unaware, I think it's somewhat unreasonable to expect the mods to be aware of the content of every thread on here.

It's probably barely reasonable to expect them to look at every thread that gets an alert response.

ReSomething
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:04 PM
Infraction points eh? Bad girl. I wonder if Mod one and Mod two have such a system?

Nah, I report things using the alert, but I usually wait till it gets really nasty because a lot of times the thread can get back on track by itself.

The "thinly veiled" sales ads I actually have use for - being horseless I get a better picture of the whole sales scene and price levels by reading stuff like that. I also appreciate the crazee buyer and seller threads too, they give me a perspective on how people in general deal with customer service - yeah, let's put up the ad and go on vacation!
Woo-Hoo! that'll sell our fugly yak quick!

Anyway, now you know where the alert function is and it really isn't ratting somebody out, it is just a head's up to the mods - "come read this and tell me what you think".

findeight
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:05 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but I can't say any post has ever come across to me as thinly disguised advertising. Just notify the Mods if you really have a problem with it. If they agree, bye-bye thread!

Actually klmck, as a newbie, you are not aware of some of the more memorable train wrecks caused by not so thinly veiled ads including the infamous shut down of one of the forums.

And, ex jumper? I would bet the current mods can get rid of that 2 year old black mark placed there by the former mod who...IIRC...was having an ongoing battle about that time frame with some who refused to change their behavior so came down extra hard on others who, really, sometimes did not deserve it.

Gotta say though, there have been alot of plain old ads lately "help me sell" or "what do you think" and the link is to a sale site and the poster a seller. I detest going on thinking I can help with a question from a younger person or one not experienced in buying or selling just asking a general question and find out it's a "Pro" trying to sell me something. Sometimes it takes me awhile to figure that out.

And you betcha I report it...and they disappear.

Moderator 1
Sep. 9, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hey folks!

We wanted to step in and answer a few questions about alerts, infractions, etc.

First off, the description of how and why to send an alert has been right on. Because the forums are so busy (on the order of around 18,000 visits/day!), it's pretty much impossible for us, with the resources available, to read every post. So, just because something is posted in a thread, doesn't mean it has our seal of approval.

The quickest way to give us a heads up or ask a question about a post or thread is to send an alert. As noted before, if you're logged in, you just click on that triangular exclamation point icon and jot down a quick reason why you think we might want to take a gander.

Nobody else knows you've sent the alert, and we may or may not edit, close or remove the post or thread, depending upon the content. Alternatively, you can send a PM or those who are lurkers without accounts, can use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

You're not automatically sending anyone to the pokey if we decide the post is an issue.

Here's how we generally approach handling a problem post:

If it's a blatant spammer, trying to sell Michael Jackson's shoes or knock-off Rolexes, those accounts get banned right away and the threads are removed.

If it's another problem--borderline or blatant horse advertising, cursing, or some other violation of board policy--we'll remove the post or thread if it's unsalvagable or try to edit out the problematic aspects. If we edit a post, we always leave an "[edit]" notation in the text of the post, so it's clear where we've intervened in the original author's comments.

We then make a note in that user's profile to document what the problem was, and that we contacted the poster about the issue. We then contact the user to let them know what the problem was and refer them to our posting policies. If a whole thread is getting out of line, we'll usually post a universal reminder on the thread, so everyone gets the message.

When a problem crops us, we take a look at the poster's profile to find out if there's a pattern of similar issues in their posting history by checking out the notes we've made. Only the mods can see these notes--they're our bookkeeping system.

If we've had to address similar issues with a given poster, or if an infraction is particularly grievous, that's when the infractions come into play. When we give an infraction for something, the poster receives a message that they've gotten one, which includes a copy of the post in question and our reason for the infraction and whatever other comments we want that person to be aware of. They--in addition to the mods--sees a record of that infraction when they click on their own profile; nobody else can see it.

If someone receives repeated infractions, they could lose their membership to the forums, but we make every effort to avoid having to take that step. We base those decisions on the type, severity, length of time between infractions, etc., as well as the nature of our correspondence with the party involved. We have a lot less patience for a member of the community who is combative, insulting, threatening, cursing, etc. in their PMs, regardless of whether or not they feel a given action is justified. ;)

As we switched moderation staff and some of the methodology in December 2007, some of the guidelines for infractions and handling issues on the site may have changed. Old infractions remain on folks' accounts, but we generally apply them more as a "note" left by the previous staff to let us know of potential issues involving a given user. No shunning involved!

We're going to close this thread now to redirect attention to the materially horse-related threads, but we encourage members of the community to contact us with alerts or questions any time. Also, because of the quantity of alerts we receive, we unfortunately often can't personally respond, unless there's a non-rhetorical question in there from the alerter, but we'll have a look!

Thanks so much for your interest in the site and concern for maintaining a productive environment here.
:)