PDA

View Full Version : wool or fleece? What's best for the sweaty horse in cold wet weather?

pippa553
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:57 PM
I've always been under the impression that wool is best as it keeps it's warming properties wether wet or dry but with all the new techno fleeces out there does that still hold true? What are your favorites?

hellerkm
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:09 PM
I've always been under the impression that wool is best as it keeps it's warming properties wether wet or dry but with all the new techno fleeces out there does that still hold true? What are your favorites?

Wool breathes, its a natural fiber and keeps horses ( and people) warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It exchanges moisture with the air in order to do this. It is also naturally anti-bacterial, so no nasty fungus when used on the back of a wet horse. I am a huge WOOL fan, now don't get me wrong I love a nice soft fleecy blanket to snuggle on the couch with , but in the barn I prefer wool.

DMK
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:02 PM
my favorite way to dry off a wet horse in cold weather is to put the irish knit under the wool cooler fort about 10-15 minutes to wick up the heavy duty moisture, then pull it off and finish with just the wool cooler.

the impulse buy polar fleece cooler is pretty much relegated to keeping the horse warm if he's dry but i'm not ready to blanket.

SkipChange
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:11 PM
Thank you for this thread because a cooler is on my christmas list. I like your idea DMK. I've always thought wool looked nicer, never had to buy my own coolers as trainer supplied at the horse show but most of hers were wool. I have a fleece one and I feel like it does absolutely nothing, maybe even takes longer to dry with it on.

Not to hijack, but has anyone had any experience with this one? (Navy/Lt blue are our colors)
http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=5748

tBHj
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:51 PM
I have an Earlys Of Whitney wool cooler for the colder months and a lighter weight Bucas cooler for the warmer months. I hate fleece anything, too hard to clean.

Simbalism
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:49 AM
The wool cooler that I get the most use from is a wool walking cooler that I purchased from Dover. It is under $100 and has held up well. I do have a fancy dress wool cooler for shows/clinics, but really like the walking cooler for everyday use. I also put an Irish knit anti sweat sheet under as the other poster stated she did.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:28 AM
Good wool will keep the wind out to an extent, fleece does nothing for wind. I've had one fleece cooler in my life and the only reason I had it at all was that I made it when I was 11. Barbie pink w/black trim and you could say I went a little crazy with the bedazzler. My poor pony must have been so embarrassed.