PDA

View Full Version : Stubben saddles

EquineRider
Sep. 7, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone,
Just looking for an opinion about the Stubben saddles. Particularly the Lohengrin. How is the balance? The comfort? The durability? My budget is really small (think less than $500) and I don't mind them used.

Thanks!

rugbygirl
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hard, slippery, last forever.

Not my favourite, but they don't have a tree that really works for my TB Hunter. All we used in my first lesson barn were Stubbens. They were pretty indestructible.

ex-racer owner
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have a Stubben Edelweiss NT. I really love it, as long as I'm not trail riding all day! I think for the money, the quality is very good and while it is three years old, it still looks great. My sister has a Stubben Siegfrid(sp?) VSS and I don't believe I have ever heard her make a single complaint about the comfort, even after trail riding all day in it. Again, great workmanship and it still looks really good. I know that they aren't the trendiest saddles right now, but for my money, in that price range, I would say you could do so much worse!

There are some places that have a more liberal saddle trial policy and I would suggest getting one on trial to make sure it fits you and horse and that you like the position it puts you in, otherwise, go for it!

EquineRider
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hm. I don't mind hardness and durability, but is there any sort of oil or cleaner that can make the saddle a little "stickier"?

rugbygirl
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:07 PM
Stubben Hamanol seems to make stuff a touch sticky...

I guess I can't say for sure, my current Stubben (for Dressage) and the lesson barn ones were quite old...very butt-polished ;) Maybe they start out stickier new?

furlong47
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:21 PM
I have an older Siegfried (German made) which I absolutely love, but I've always been a big Stubben fan. I do prefer the older ones to the newer (Swiss made) models. They are very durable and last forever! As comfort goes, people seem to either love them or hate them, so if you haven't ridden in any you may want to see if you can borrow one or take one on trial before you buy.

Foxtrot's
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:54 PM
Every Stubben saddle I have ridden in has bumped me in the u-no-what when I do the posting trot - don't ask me why :) Maybe I'm oddly shaped.

Sudi's Girl
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:02 PM
My first Stubben Siegfried I really liked (had to sell though 'cause it did not fit my Arab). But I tried to ride in the Edelwiess, and not only was it REALLY uncomfortable, but it did not work with MY conformation well (I have a really long femur). For the lower stuff, it wasn't too much of a problem. But I was jumping a GREENIE, and it was totally working against me. Great quality though - hard to beat that. I still really love my Stubben Bridles too!

Foxtrot's
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:14 PM
The RCMP Musical Ride uses Stubbens exclusively. Just thought I'd throw that in - not particularaly on topic. They are almost indestructible.

SkipChange
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:17 PM
Stubben isn't too popular with the h/j crowd for the most part. Quality get a lot of credit for durability but they are notoriously uncomfortable. If you have ridden in one and the style suits you go for it. I've had luck with Collegiate, Dover Circuit, and Beval. I feel like you could probably get something like that for $500 as I just sold my old collegiate for less than that.

KateKat
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:27 PM
I ride in a Siegfried. Super slick, hard as a rock. Not the most comfortable saddle. :) Its old though, has no rolls/flaps. I have found it to be well balanced, doesn't throw me forward or back. But I do find my riding can suffer in it only because its so durned uncomfortable, so I am focused on my butt as opposed to actually riding! LOL

see u at x
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:05 AM
I have a Lohengrin Elite C.S. that I really like. From what I've been told, they are harder to find in the United States and have been more popular in Europe and Australia. I bought mine from a guy who did jumpers and it was well broken in when I got it. What I really like about it is that since it's a close contact it's fine for the hunter ring, but it also has the thigh blocks which gives me more security if I go cubbing, trail riding, etc. Other people who have ridden in it have commented that it's super comfy. Compared to a lot of other Stubbens, I would agree! I used to think that it put me in too much of a chair seat, but when the saddle fitter came out a few weeks ago, he said that I had been putting it a little too far forward. He moved it back and voilĂ ! Better position for me and my horses so now we're all a lot happier. It's a nice saddle and although Stubbens might not be as "fashionable" as other brands for the hunter ring, I love mine and will never part with it. It is just a little too wide for my horses and I am looking for a different saddle, but even so, I'm going to get the Lohengrin reflocked so that I can continue to use it for both of my mares if needed.

ETA: I paid $400 for mine and it still has a LOT of life left in it. I do need to get some stitching fixed on it, but other than that, it's going strong. And no, I don't find the seat to be overly slippery at all.

Paragon
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:10 AM
My Stuebben is fantastically comfortable and I'm not sure why. :lol: It's an Artus, circa 2002ish, and not only is it soft, it's not slick at all. It's just perfect for me. My friends who've ridden in it all liked it, even my old instructor, who said that it's the most comfortable Stuebben she'd ever sat in.

Maybe this model was for the tender-bottomed among us? :)

JprAO
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:09 AM
The stubben saddles are excellent. For those looking for comfort, the Biomex seat can't be beat. A bit of an upgrade but well worth it.

greyshowjumper
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:50 AM
I grew up riding in a Stubben and just purchased the edelweiss cs and love it. It's comfortable and fits right in the hunter world. The flaps were a little slick at first, but now it isn't an issue. Stubben has been around a long time and quality is great. Lots of other companies have changed hands one way or another. Good luck.

Trixie
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:07 AM
Stubbens aren't often preferred in showing hunters but we've got a couple around the barn and they're comfortable enough. Were I given a $500 budget to buy a saddle to show hunters in, I'd look for an old Crosby Prix De Nations.

actcasual
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:15 AM
Ten years in a Stubben Camelot; it's shaped like a traditional hunter saddle, it doesn't have the slick, hard feel like the old saddles, and it's held up very well.
As mentioned, Stubben is not fashionable. But my experience has been that the midrange trainers tend to act like a big name saddle will make them a bnt. More secure trainers don't say anything.

zakattack
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:14 PM
I have a stubben roxane, and while it is more of an eventing saddle, I can comment on stubben in general as many of the lesson horses have other subben makes. They do tend to be hard, but are very durable and last for a long time. My saddle is great for my high-withered but also wide TB, is made of good quality leather, and broke in quickly and nicely

mjmvet
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:37 PM
I think they're absolutely gorgeous - I love the edelweiss cs, and I like the look of the camelot. I would seriously consider having a saddle fitter assess whatever you try to buy - they're not known for having a wide enough channel down the middle. I tried to find a Stubben to fit my mare, and it just was impossible. Good luck,
m

lesyl
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:49 PM
My Stuebben is fantastically comfortable and I'm not sure why. :lol: It's an Artus, circa 2002ish, and not only is it soft, it's not slick at all. It's just perfect for me.

Clipped to save space - I too have a used Artus and at first it was quite slick. Consistent applications of Stubben Hammenol has helped and it is very comfortable. Fits a pretty broad range of horses as it is a med tree.

It is definately not as cushy as some of the other saddles, but the leather is really good and it fits my too long thigh.

ChestnutShowJumper
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have had two and they have been great saddles. They are durable, the leather wears well and the more current saddles are ALOT more comfortable than the older styles. The biomex is great as well. If you call their main number you can have someone come out and fit your horse at no charge. Their customer service has been awesome as well. good luck!

Creaghgal
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:25 PM
I have the Juventus which fit me (small adult) perfectly! I couldn't get it to fit my hoss - too bad 'cause I loffed it! Totally made me feel locked in tight with both thigh & knee roll's. The seat was nothing like the HARD old stubben saddles.

see u at x
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:33 PM
- they're not known for having a wide enough channel down the middle.

The Lohengrin doesn't have this problem...or at least mine doesn't. The saddle fitter who looked at mine commented that the channel seemed really wide. Though I definitely agree with you in that regardless of which saddle the OP gets, she should have a saddle fitter out to take a look at it. :yes:

Shortstroke
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:44 PM
The new Stubbens are awesome! I have the Edelweiss NT Deluxe and I much prefer it to the Tad Coffin (which one of my daughters had) or the Prestige (which another of my daughters had). It has a narrow twist, a half-deep seat and short points. It has the spring tree and is wool flocked. It turns a beautiful color after conditioning. It is very balanced and very comfortable. It has a grained leather flap and is not at all slick. Quite the contrary. Really, I can't say enough good things about it. I realize it is outside your price range but I felt I should post this since there were so many negative posts. I also have a Stubben Juventus Dressage saddle which I like.