PDA

View Full Version : WHAT TO DO WITH A SUPER TALENTED SMALL PONY??

LindsayK
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:22 PM
I have an 8 year old, 12.1hh cross bred pony that is just RIDICULOUSLY talented, both on the flat and over fences, but ESPECIALLY over fences!

The trouble is, there are no jobs out there for him... Like most horses, he performs best when he has a solid relationship with a rider, but being 12.1hh, everyone keeps outgrowing him. He is currently being ridden by a 12 year old girl, but she will be to big for him come next season. He is happily schooling around 3'6" and has no problem moving up if asked. He gets board with the smaller fences, and LOVES to go big! We have had this pony for a long time, and don't want to sell him, but would like to find something fun for him to do.

My question is... what direction should you take a small pony besides the pony hunter ring?? Is there a point to continuing on with a pony that can jump the big fences?? Are there any classes/divisions they can show off their talents in? Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3465542&id=518178658&ref=nf
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3465574&id=518178658
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3465581&id=518178658&ref=mf
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3465592&id=518178658&ref=mf

SkipChange
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:28 PM
He's adorable! My friend (Sr in high school, 5'1") has a similar pony and he has been hard to market. Her problem is he doesn't move like a hunter plus her area doesn't have a solid h/j market. If your super pony has got that hunter look I suspect he could do well in the hunter ring even though it is only 2'3". My friend's 12h has shown 3' jumpers (schooled higher) but he's a bit older (around 12 maybe?). Anyway I know some mediums compete in Pony Jumpers (believe that's 3'6") maybe there's some short jumper kid wandering around?

findeight
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:37 PM
Well...I suppose you could show it in the level 1 jumpers?

I don't know what you are asking for here. Don't see anything that indicates it can do the regular Pony Hunters...looks like it's pretty quick over those...what is that, 2'9" to 3'?

Small Ponies are 12 and under kids so it would have to go Open, does not look like the average 9 or 10 year old would be that comfortable unless they want to do Pony Jumpers.

Are you trying to sell it?

luvs2ride
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:55 PM
3'6 easy? Is he part frog?! :D

I always thought pony jumpers was 3'3, but I could be wrong. Maybe that would be the right place for him?

spmoonie
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'd have to say pony jumpers. I know a few girls that are super, super talented and very tiny! Thats the kind of kid you will need to find for him. If that doesnt work, mabye he would make a good little eventing pony? He would have a blast! ;)

Blue Bunny
Sep. 7, 2009, 05:41 PM
I agree with pony jumpers.
He looks cute over fences, why can't he do pony hunters?

jumpsnake
Sep. 7, 2009, 05:48 PM
Eventing might be a good option.

ETA: Can you post the pics somewhere else? Us non-facebook people from the dark ages can't see them!

LindsayK
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:11 PM
He has been doing the pony hunters for the past 3 years, pinning consistently in the hacks and over fences (at local shows and a few "A" shows). But being a small pony, he's showing at 2'3" year after year with a new smaller rider. He is much happier jumping the bigger fences, and I'd love to see him be able to use his talents for the bigger fences. I've also shown him in the open jumpers for fun, but it's tough to find a small enough kid to ride in the jumper ring.. We don't want to sell this guy, I'm just looking for some creative things to train him for to keep him fresh and interested.

Eventing would be a blast! I'll see if I can find a little jr. eventer to take him for a spin!

piaffequeen
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:44 PM
I would try eventing with him!

LindsayK
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:49 PM
There's an eventing clinic coming up, I'll see if someone wants to take him! Good idea!

lcw579
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:00 PM
He's adorable - makes me wish I was a kid again. I agree that he should become an eventing pony. Lots of small kids who are mighty brave and would like the chance to move up with pony the right size.

How would he be fox hunting? I took my small pony foxhunting when I was 10-12 and he jumped all the fences and was just great.

LindsayK
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:04 PM
I SO WISH there was some fox hunting around here! He would have SO MUCH FUN! He LOVES going out in the bush, and galloping through fields! I should try to arrange one in the area!

RumoursFollow
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:24 AM
I have a big time pint sized 10yo kid in my barn that would LOVE that pony. She would jump a miniature horse around the junior jumpers if I'd let her. She shows in the small ponies at A shows on her super fab small pony.. she is sooo talented and tries so hard! I woud love to get her on a pony jumper but she is so little she really cant ride a large well yet. (She's got 6in before she outgrows her current small!) So let me know if you'd like to let him come live in Indiana for a while! ;)

LindsayK
Sep. 8, 2009, 01:00 AM
I would LOVE to find him a rider like that! I so wish there was one out my way... Unfortunately I'm all the way out in BC Canada... so quite a ways!