PDA

View Full Version : Shut up and ride.

Velvet
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:59 PM
Wow, after reading a few of the more nasty topics and posts out here (especially some of the vile things on the riding in side reins thread), I've once again decided that people really should just stop posting and spending so much time armchair QBing and get their butts out and ride their horses.

This forum is a great place for many things, but when you see these long diatribes and people posting just to be negative, you have to wonder if they ever really do ride a horse. I mean, how else would they have the time to spend out here worrying about this stuff?

I know this will just inflame a lot of them, so feel free to have at it. I know that I used to post out here a LOT, and not all of it was about training, etc. So I'm just as guilty. Then again, it wasn't really that I was always out here everyday, I've just been around these boards for a LONG time.

Wouldn't it be better if we stopped posting, stopped texting, stopped tweeting, and just rode our horses, attended clinics, took lessons, and spent time learning and enjoying our uber expensive sport?

Is THIS other stuff really that important in the scheme of things? Is it really adding to our lives if we spend this much time debating these issues? Why not actually do something of value and spend time with real people in the real world? (I know our horses appreciate our spending time with them--as well as families and friends.) It's about face time and reality.

Okay, I'm off my soap box. Have fun! I'm going to take this Labor Day to enjoy a LONG trail ride with one of my best friends. :D

Tilly
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:05 PM
Ditto, Velvet! *claps enthusiastically*

partlycloudy
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:06 PM
Velvet...you can't know the number of times I have thought the same thing!
When oh when do these people have time to ride?

Bogey2
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:25 PM
I own the hat!
My trainer will ocassionally yell that out:o

merrygoround
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:25 PM
:sigh: Me too!

whicker
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:32 PM
Velvet,

Thank you for the reality check!

The meanness hurts us all. People will not want to use the forum to learn and gain confidence from each other if there is fear. The dressage world has a hostile image already. Many riders won't even come here, because of the reputation. If there isn't a large enough number of riders posting and looking, then the advertizing that supports CotH drops and we lose the opportunity to have a forum. (I am sure the mods will have a more diplomatic way of stating the draconian law of economics. There are many publications that have gone under because they haven't been able to adapt to the internet)

Being snarky does not make the poster more powerful, popular, better, or wiser. It shows just the opposite.

The irony is that the idea of dressage is harmony. Sowing discord among riders is just as counterproductive to growth as it is to horses.

bean
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:37 PM
Wow, after reading a few of the more nasty topics and posts out here (especially some of the vile things on the riding in side reins thread), I've once again decided......

Have you.....

slc2
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:40 PM
Actually, the moderator stated specifically thaat that thread was continuing to be civil. I don't see any real nastiness going on in that one at all.

OH...MY...GOD....I....i've decided....I'm going.....OUT....TO....RIDE!

Years ago, Velvet's response to anyone who could successfully present any point against her side (or even dared try) was, 'Shut up and ride'.

It gives me a warm, fuzzy, SAFE feeling to know some things never change!

But to be honest, I'd love to be riding more and sitting inside snorting extra asthma medication and staring at a computer far, far fewer hours of my life. That'd be fine.

Alagirl
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:43 PM
She told you that a lot, didn't she ;)

slc2
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:44 PM
No, actually, she didn't. But she did use that one a lot.

Alagirl
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:45 PM
right, she counted words. :)

Bogey2
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:46 PM
Alagirl:lol:
snap!

caddym
Sep. 7, 2009, 06:35 PM
Okay, I'm off my soap box. Have fun! I'm going to take this Labor Day to enjoy a LONG trail ride with one of my best friends. :D[/QUOTE]\

just make sure you have on....side reins, pelham, flash (preferably cranked tight), hard hat and.....spend the entire ride in rollkur

egontoast
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:06 PM
Wouldn't it be better if we stopped posting, stopped texting, stopped tweeting, and just rode our horses, attended clinics, took lessons, and spent time learning and enjoying our uber expensive sport

Very true. I am sorry I sometimes get sucked into some of these stupid threads when my time is better spent at the barn and riding. Page after page on stuff like riding in sidereins just tires the rolly eye muscles. hey I don't text or tweet though. YAY.

At least I rode one horse today. Should have ridden 2 though but farm chores beckoned and yes I wasted some time here. I wonder how people who post 20 times a day find the time to ride and go to the bathroom,etc. OOps, snarky.

HighFlyinBey++
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:38 PM
Wouldn't it be better if we stopped posting, stopped texting, stopped tweeting, and just rode our horses, attended clinics, took lessons, and spent time learning and enjoying our uber expensive sport?

I really hope people don't do that. I've learned more here--both how-to and how-NOT-to--than I learned in actual lessons.

I've ridden my horse 3 times this calendar year due to my own health issues. First time was a bit scary. Second time was absolute BLISS. Third time, my blissful horse turned into a giraffe. Thanks to COTH I knew what the difference was. Time #2 was bareback. Time #3 was saddled--and I knew instantly that the saddle no longer fit.

I'm saddened that the side rein thread took the direction it did. I was learning quite a bit about the use of side reins before it turned into another me-me-me-fest, though it was clearly meant to discuss generalities, NOT the specific case that spawned the SPIN OFF question.

Lurker mode isn't informative when half the posters are on ignore. Just sayin'

mbm
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:54 PM
meanness hurts us all.

<snip>

The irony is that the idea of dressage is harmony. Sowing discord among riders is just as counterproductive to growth as it is to horses.

perfectly said!

life is short, and i believe we should all try to be kinder and gentler to each other..... it would make the world a much nicer place !

slight
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:25 PM
I have learned a lot here during my short time on the board.

I'm shocked when it turns nasty...but am so thankful for the many, many kind folks who take time to post and help me.

Working seems to get in the way of riding more than posting or reading here...Oh to live a life of leisure! :lol:

nhwr
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:11 PM
Analysis and discussion are beneficial.
Disagreement isn't personal.
But at a certain point, it all becomes riding prevention.

So I concur,
shut up and ride.

(but it should be known that Velvet rides a broom :lol: )

EventerAJ
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:19 PM
Analysis and discussion are beneficial.
Disagreement isn't personal.
But at a certain point, it all becomes riding prevention.

So I concur,
shut up and ride.

(but it should be known that Velvet rides a broom :lol: )

nhwr, that was improper Haiku.

What this forum needs
Is the missing frying pan
Until then, go ride.

:winkgrin:

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:31 PM
I can't help myself.

Velvet rides a broom
But she cannot get the broom
Collected or through.

The broom's back is stiff.
It needs side reins and rollkur
Barring that - trail rides.

PS we did ride today. No side reins though.

nhwr
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:19 PM
Fall's limitations
Thinking - good, jaw flapping - bad
And those who can, do

Velvet bends a broom.
Talking about nothing is
a problem - just ride!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:42 PM
You have thrown down the gauntlet!

Too buggy today!
Also too hot and muggy.
My horse is fussy.

Velvet's broom is not.
It sweeps regardless of heat.
That's why she can ride.

EventerAJ
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:53 PM
More up/down posting.
Less type-type/click-click posting.
It would help us all.

Velvet's broom's bejeweled
So the judges won't notice
It is BTV.

Though, that's not needed
When in bed with the judges
You can do no wrong. :D

filly78
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:54 PM
Well said Velvet! I cannot tell you how many times I have started a thread on here only to be ripped apart no matter what the topic is. Obviously some people on here have nothing better to do than bring other people down...

Velvet
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:13 AM
Okay, since I'm missing the Haiku gene, I won't even try. (I almost posted something in iambic pentameter, but decided I was too tired tonight to try.) Maybe it's because it's really hard to ride a broom when your butts growing with the years. Or better yet, it's probably that I'm tired from searching the house for that lousy frying pan that seems to go missing at the worst possible moments. Maybe I should see if I was the last one to have Aunt Esther's purse. Hmm...I seem to recall it being around for one of the now infamous mud wrestling sessions we used to have out here. ;)

For those who are too new to recall all of those moments, I guess I should snag a quote from "Blade Runner" (thus exposing my geeky nature, or "nerd" nature as someone said out here recently): "...all those moments...will be lost...like tears...in rain."

Maria
Sep. 8, 2009, 07:53 AM
Velvet, shut up and ride.

:)

Tilly
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:43 AM
Does anyone else have Shut Up and Drive by Rihanna stuck in their head now? Or is it just me? :lol:

nhwr
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:57 AM
Maria, how nice
How old are you anyway?
Now where is suzy?

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:04 AM
Some questions re: brooms.
Do you need imported brooms
To sweep rated shows?

Or can you get one
Off the race track, maybe with
Splint(er)s, are they good?

CatOnLap
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:08 AM
Squeezeme, BUTT, while you
were all writing poetry
I rode two horses.

Only one who tried
To kill me. I also slept
a full eight hourzzzz.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:36 AM
I can multi task
When I ride my horse - really!
Sometimes I just doze.

Sometimes I go "Zen,"
Or I plan experiments
For later, in lab.

I ride First Level.
I am "Jack of Many Trades,
But Master of None."

Dressage Art
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:17 AM
Velvet, shut up and ride.

:)

I have to say that many years ago, I was an avid COTH lurker and after reading Maria's, Velvets, slicks, Egon's and some others posts - I stayed a lurker for a long, long time :lol: you guys can really get at it ;)

... the reality of my business life is that I have to do computer renderings often thru the day, it takes about 3-5 minutes of my time that I can't do much during that = browsing the web for me.

blackhorsegirl
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:35 AM
Velvet, Amen!!! And I'm on my way out to ride!

Tiligsmom
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:43 AM
I wonder how people who post 20 times a day find the time to ride and go to the bathroom,etc. OOps, snarky.

HA! Unfortunately the economy is helping some of us have more "discretionary" time due to unemployment! At least this poster will have less time to spend here when the job market loosens up :)

Alagirl
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
I have to say that many years ago, I was an avid COTH lurker and after reading Maria's, Velvets, slicks, Egon's and some others posts - I stayed a lurker for a long, long time :lol: you guys can really get at it ;)

HAHAHAHAHA, the good old days of exchanging baby recipes! :lol:

Icecapade
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:00 PM
"...all those moments...will be lost...like tears...in rain."

[edit] thats off a song too I have- I wannaaaaa say Assemblage 23 but thats wrong- something in that venue. Now going to go sift through my gallary of music to find it.- wait The Retrosic... I think its off that CD- can't check it right now though- its 80 miles away at home

and yes sadly some of us can't shut up and ride- we are stuck at dead end jobs w/ internet access... lol but I'd rather be riding.

=)

and I can't do a Haiku- my brain is at work and thusly turned off ;)

Ambrey
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:04 PM
Neat, this post just turned into an excuse to make more snarky, rude comments.

Ambrey
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:10 PM
HA! Unfortunately the economy is helping some of us have more "discretionary" time due to unemployment! At least this poster will have less time to spend here when the job market loosens up :)

I always wonder how people have time to read and post on multiple boards! I have to stick to one (actually I do have one other, but when time gets tight I don't even read it!).

Moderator 1
Sep. 8, 2009, 01:11 PM
Please feel free to send an alert if you feel we need to take a look at a thread. The personality conflicts folks are prone to have in real life are likely to only be exacerbated online, and we do our best to maintain a productive, entertaining atmosphere on the site.

We're going to close the thread to keep the focus on horses vs. the issues that surround discussing them online. ;)

Thanks!
Mod 1