PDA

View Full Version : Antares?

ChestnutShowJumper
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I am looking for a new saddle and Antares has been suggested to me over and over again. Does anyone have one or have any details about them? Good, bad.. any opinions or suggestions would be great! Thoughts about calf versus buffalo leather? Thanks! :)

spmoonie
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:53 AM
I dont own one, but my friend does. They are very nice saddles. I've never heard anything bad about them honestly. Im a County person myself, but I love Antares too!:) As for the buffalo vs. calf, my personal choice would be buffalo.

unclewiggly
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:11 PM
Love mine, sat in some one elses schooling a horse got off and started hitting e-bay w/ a vengence. Saved $2000. but I did know which model and options I wanted.
Would say Buffalo if I had to do it over again, the calf leather is soft n won't hold up to every day schooling wear.

jetsmom
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:29 PM
I, and 2 others at the barn own them. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. I have the calf leather, in a med deep saddle. I used to pinch with my knees and suffer occasionally from, "the Inverness problem". I bought 3 saddles that all had me doing the same thing (HDR, Beval Natural, County Stabilizer XTR). Tried an Antares, and immediately stopped pinching with my knees and never again had the Inverness problem.

I've had it 3 yrs now and it still looks new. Fits a variety of horses. Great customer service. I got a "loaner" from them while I was waiting for my new one to arrive.

Individualblue07
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:30 PM
I absolutely LOVE mine! I think its the best saddle by far that is still sort of afforable! I had to ride in someone elses cheaper saddle the other day and man... when i got back in mine... I loved it even more!!!

Individualblue07
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:32 PM
I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVVVEEE mine! I think its the best saddle by far that is still sort of afforable! I have the calfskin. It's a 2003, but looks amazing even after being ridden in almost constantly for the past year. I had to ride in someone elses cheaper saddle the other day and man... when i got back in mine... I loved it even more!!!

3 is the limit
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:56 PM
I think I began to ride at a new level once I started riding in my Antares. It allowed my leg to be where it is supposed to be and keeps me from pinching my knee.

I am love my antares. I really think it is one of the best saddles for amatures on the market today.

I found out from the rep that the reason so many Americans love these saddles is that they are made with women in mind (most european saddles are designed for men) who are the primary riders here.

The customer service is great and I can't say enough about how happy I am.

I have the calfskin and I ride in it every day. Looks brand new and I've had this saddle for 2 years.

tBHj
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:02 PM
I have the Spooner, it fits my horse like a glove. I love it more everytime I ride in it.

I got it with a short flap and originally had to buy a 54" Antares girth but now that it is broken in I need to buy a 52". Huge bummer as I paid $300 for a girth I used maybe 25 times.

hasahorse
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:57 PM
While I love my Antares, I have been less impressed with their customer service as of late. Several barnmates ordered new saddles, and of the 8 that were ordered, 7 were made incorrectly. When Antares was notified that is was incorrect, they did everything they could not to make the corrections.
I have had dealings with them in other situations as well, and have been less than impressed. I am seriously contemplating trading my Antares for a CWD, primarily because of the customer service issues.
If you are stuck on Antares, look for a used saddle.

Va2Ga
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:04 PM
Love mine fits mutiple horses and came quick after I ordered it.

rottngirl
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:05 PM
Another big thumbs up for Antares!!!

I custom ordered mine and when the first one was wrong their US HQ office immediately re-made it and sent me a new one that was perfect.

From observing other Antares deals in my barn I believe they go ABOVE AND BEYOND in their customer service.

The saddle itself is superb, and just "disappears" when I ride, whereas before I had this I was always fighting with the various saddles I used.

Highly recommend Antares products and their fabulous no-holds-barred customer care.

2foals
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:21 PM
It's an amazing saddle. I ride a lot of different horses, and I find the fit to be very forgiving--the saddle fits a very wide range of backs (within reason). For myself, I find the fit, balance and comfort to be fantastic. I am not a big show rider who needs to make an impression or who cares about brands, I just spend a lot of time in the saddle.

On a previous Antares thread, someone mentioned that the only way anyone could ever get her Antares saddle away from her would be be to "pry it from her cold, dead hands." That's pretty much how I feel about it.

I also was very satisfied with the customer service--the rep came to my barn and spent a couple of hours with me trying different saddles on different horses.

But, of course saddle choice is very personal and different saddle makers are always coming out with new models, etc., so definitely shop around and compare.

fourfillies
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:45 PM
Love mine, its about 2 years old. Med deep seat, dark brown buffalo. It is holding up really well. Fits most horses well. Nice and sticky for this older A/A. But, I would second (or third) concerns about customer service. At least here in PA their service has not been very customer friendly of late (hard to catch up with a rep, slow to work out "issues"). This is through the grapevine as thankfully I haven't had any issues with mine.

Schune
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:47 PM
I love Antares. I rode in a friend's and the second my rear touched the seat, it was love.

I'm saving right now and have my eye on one in my price range.

florida foxhunter
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:47 PM
I LOVE mine too.......and I have THREE! Both of my hunter/jumping saddles are Calf Skin......and SOOOO comfortable!! Then I also have the single flap dressage ...........it's wonderful too. They have been great to work with......one of mine was a custom order, the second jumping saddle I bought second hand from them at HITS................
I foxhunt in one of them for HOURS on end..........and it's SOOO comfortable and I feel very secure too........they all seem to fit my horses well (and I have 13 horses!!!)

I dealt with "Evelyn" several years when I bought mine directly and she was wonderful to work with.......haven't been in touch with them in the past few years though, so things may have changed??? I was very happy when I ordered mine.

AndNirina
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:30 PM
I have a calfskin Antares (08) that I love. The leather is so buttery and didn't take a moment to break in. It did take a bit of tweaking on Antares' part in order to get the fit right for my mare.. it was sent back twice. I found the customer service to be outstanding and the quality to be even better. It now fits both of us perfectly. You can't go wrong with an Antares, IMO.

RumoursFollow
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:02 AM
I had to sell mine about a year ago to finance a horsey endeavor. I absolutely had to- there was absolutely no way around it, but I have always regretted it and I miss it terribly. will be buying another one the very first moment I can. I actually bought mine on ebay from "cwdsellier" who I believe even posts here.. the customer service is out of this world. I think the rep in Traverse City this year thought I was nuts- I visited the booth several times while I was there just to reminisce about my Antares days! lol.

Would reccommend them (and cwdsellier) to absolutely anyone!

Addison
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:07 AM
I really like my Antares (more than any other saddle I have ridden in) and my daughter loves hers. I have always gotten excellent customer service from them although I know they have undergone considerable staff changes in the last two years.

I give a big thumbs up to the company and the product.

hollyhorse2000
Sep. 8, 2009, 01:42 PM
I HAD an Antares -- emphasis on had. I liked it quite a lot -- for me. It didn't fit my horse worth a darn, and it was fitted by the rep. Granted, I have a very difficult horse to fit. But I didn't need to spend $3K+ for yet another saddle that didn't fit my horse. I ended up with a Black Country with lots of customizations that she needed.

My advice is make sure you have an independent saddle fitter check the Antares before you buy it. And do try a variety of saddles. Buying a brand based on anecdotal reports isn't really the way to saddle shop IMHO. Ride in many (there are many reputable companies) and find out what works for you and your horse.

snaffle635
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:45 PM
I ordered mine in February and it arrived in May. My rep strongly discouraged ordering the calf, so I went with grain. He said they've had a lot of problems with the calf separating at the bottom of the flap.

Mine did not fit my horse correctly, so we needed new panels - which took FOREVER to arrive.

Now that I have the correct panels, I'm happy with the saddle. I find it very comfortable and it's done wonders for my leg position as well as my balance.

I rode in my girlfriend's Butet the other day and it felt like a rock. :-) The Antares is definitely very comfy for your tushie.

One complaint, though...perhaps it's too cushy? I often joke that it's like having a Lazy Boy on your horse's back. Sometimes it's hard to feel their back. I ride with a bareback pad fairly often just to make sure I can feel what's going on underneath me. :-)

DallasES
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:51 PM
Just like the majority of the replies, I LOVE my Antares. I called my local rep and got one used, that had the panals and billets replaced by them, and it looks brand new and feels custom. For about half the price! Mine is full calf as well, and it has held up to about a year and a half of regular riding and still looks great. I have also had no problem with it fitting a variety of horses. I have the regular tree, and it has fitted each horse I have ridden.

trina1
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:01 AM
Lovin' my 1 year old Antares - had never had a new saddle before in my life and it was love at first ride.

Treasmare2
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:04 AM
Love mine. Their customer service was great and they worked with me on fixing a problem I had with my custom saddle. I would buy again because I know they will go the distance on making sure all is Ok. My saddle is not the original saddle but it is one I love. I have gotten alot of other Antares products and every piece is lovely.

gleaner
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:57 AM
The best thing to do would be to try one for yourself! An Antares rep can drive to your farm and fit you and your horse for a new saddle, you can ride in one and see if you like it. The Antares promise is that you won't be left with a saddle that you don't like or doesn't fit.....I can assist if you want to learn more : )

Renn/aissance
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:06 AM
While I love my Antares, I have been less impressed with their customer service as of late. Several barnmates ordered new saddles, and of the 8 that were ordered, 7 were made incorrectly. When Antares was notified that is was incorrect, they did everything they could not to make the corrections.
I have had dealings with them in other situations as well, and have been less than impressed. I am seriously contemplating trading my Antares for a CWD, primarily because of the customer service issues.
If you are stuck on Antares, look for a used saddle.

I agree with you. You can read about my experiences with Antares elsewhere on the board. I purchased one used through the company and loved it, so when I needed a new saddle to fit my horse once his shape changed, I went back to them. After nine months they still had not been able to make it to fit. Customer service was wonderful. Fitting and manufacture? Not so much. Antares lost this customer to Devoucoux.

Definitely look for a used one if you go that route, especially if you are on the east coast.

TB110
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:17 AM

My daughter had two Antares saddles and when she outgrew her last one we tried to get another. The rep would not come to the barn for a fitting - needed three people who were going to buy a saddle so would not do it for only one person. We approached a rep at a show - our horse was not 100 feet from the tent but still couldn't get them to do a fitting on the horse. They did a fitting on my daughter instead. The saddle came with LONG flaps and my daughter is 5'3" and has short legs. When I pulled the saddle from the box it had been oiled (none had come oiled before and I did not request this). I seriously think that they just threw what they had on hand in the box. The fit on our two horses was a complete joke. When I contacted them they flattly refused yet again to come to the barn and see the saddle and the fit so I sent the thing back and demanded my money back. They took 4 weeks to give me my money back. Their customer service sucks now. I don't know what is happening to the company but it did not used to be that way.