PDA

View Full Version : Hunter/Jumper Barns overland park Kansas?

Sandi0905
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:28 AM
Morning All!
Husband took a job in the Kansas City KS area, and we are going to begin the house shopping process. Having three sons (the one that rides is in his first year of college) and two are high school aged, they are less than thrilled about the relo. The house market here in Chicago has seen better days so I have no idea how long it will take me to sell our current home. I am taking my time get down there so I have a lot of time to research things. Online searches of barns however mean nothing to me cause I am very turned around. I am not in need of a big A circuit barn, but I would like to be in a place that will go to some A shows, or bigger local shows. My son does the showing on our guy, I just love to play and jump around on him for fun. Maybe begin showing on him at local shows. I would like pasture turnout, an indoor /outdoor arena, and some trails, with a decent instructor. My son jumps 3'6 and I dabble in the 3'0. I would also like low-key and friendly. Hopefully some one on this board is from there or can point me in the right direction or "veer" me from the wrong direction.:winkgrin:
I am flying down on Thursday for the first time. So far I am looking at houses in the overland park area/leawood(blue valley high schools) and Shawnee KS (Shawnee Mission northwest high school). Thanks in advance if anyone has some advice!
Sandi

Quin
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:20 AM
I understand online searches are not as helpful as you'd like, but there are a few sites you ought to look at. There are 3 local show circuits that various barns in the area go to. Looking at those sites will give you some idea of what's around. www.kcpha.org (http://www.kcpha.org) has the shows most localized to KC. www.greatplainshunterassociation.com (http://www.greatplainshunterassociation.com) covers a slightly bigger geographic area; Topeka area barns would be 1-1.5 hours away from the housing/school districts you are looking at (both of which are quite nice; Blue Valley perhaps more than SM). www.nkha.net (http://www.nkha.net) covers the broadest range, with a number of the shows being in Manhattan - a good 2 hours away, but therefore also gets participants from Kansas State University (located in Manhattan KS). You might check the calendars for any upcoming shows. One of the best places to look for a new barn is in the warm-up area at a show!

There are not many trainers in KC who run A-show barns only, but there are lots who do at least some regional rated shows, and nearly everybody participates in one or more of the local circuits. Pure pasture board is becoming more rare but you should have no problem finding someplace with good pasture turnout. Outdoor rings are OK but I'd look for an indoor. KC is not Chicago but winter still does happen here. Trails.......if you have a trailer, sure. Riding out straight from the barn, not so much. Most H/J barns are south or west of the city where there's still lots of farm land. You shouldn't have to drive more than half an hour, even at high traffic times, to find some good options.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info or have some specifics in mind.

And welcome to the area!

SaturdayNightLive
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:59 AM
I know a few people in the KC area who train with Chris at Kirin Farms and they love him. I know he does the As. PM me if you want contact info.

Platinum Equestrian
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:52 PM
I rode in that area for years. If you need any insight or specifics once you get your search narrowed, feel free to contact me. There are some, of course, that I would recommend and some... not so much... ;)