PDA

View Full Version : Panacur Powerpac vs. Quest

Bedazzle
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:52 PM
So I realized there is so much more I need to learn about equine deworming. I have been reading up on the Panacur Powerpac, and I understand what it does but I have yet to see what it does better than, lets say, Quest. Can someone explain? Thanks so much.

jn4jenny
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:44 AM
Lucky for you, this question gets done to death about three times a year. Try this thread:
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=83106

JB
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:31 AM
jenny, are you sure it's only 3 times a year? :lol:

In a nutshell:
Power Pack gets all stages of encysted strongyles. Moxidectin misses one.

Power pack causes the same issue as emerging parasites - ulcers at the site of the parasite die-off (or emergence in that case). Fenbendazole kills the critters, and they decompose. This can (not will) cause colic symptoms, especially around Day 14.

Moxidectin paralyzes the critters so they pass through.

Pro and con to each - you decide which to use :)

There is no "better than, say, moxidectin" because those 2 protocols are the ONLY protocols that target encysted strongyles.

Bedazzle
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks, I will read that thread. I can never seem to get the COTH search engine to work for me. Always says that it cannot find any threads with that content. Thanks for the info.

Bedazzle
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:32 AM
Another question. Would a dose of Safe-Guard be equivalent to a dose of Panacur? Why is it necessary to do 5 days in a row? Will one dose of the fenbendazole not wipe out enough of the worm load?

Posting Trot
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:43 AM
One dose of fenbendazole will do virtually nothing. The PowerPack is not just five days in a row, it's five days in a row of double-dose fenbendazole.

Any dewormer that is fenbendazole can be used; I think "PowerPack" is a trademarked name (Panacur). The Panacur Powerpack comes already measured out into 5 double dose syringes, so it's convenient.

evans36
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:44 PM
If you read the worming threads, you'll discover that you can actually "powerpac" with any brand of fenbendazole, even the liquids made for other livestock, because the %fenbendazole in the suspension is the same, so you just weigh your horse and give double the recommended dose for 5 days in a row to acheive the larvicidal dose.

Bedazzle
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:38 PM
Sorry, I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. So lets say a horse is wormy. Would treating with one tube of Strongid (Pyrantel Pamoate), followed by a tube of ivermectin a week later, do anything (then setting the horse up on a regular deworming schedule)? Or if a horse is wormy, is it necessary to do the 5 day treatment of fenbendazole? Thanks so much for your help.

jn4jenny
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. So lets say a horse is wormy. Would treating with one tube of Strongid (Pyrantel Pamoate), followed by a tube of ivermectin a week later, do anything (then setting the horse up on a regular deworming schedule)? Or if a horse is wormy, is it necessary to do the 5 day treatment of fenbendazole? Thanks so much for your help.

Ah at last, you ask a question that wasn't answered in the thread I linked to above. ;) PS--the magic word in the search engine is "fenbendazole". You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know.

If I had a wormy horse, I would start with a few gentler wormers before slamming the horse with the Panacur PowerPac. PP is more gentle than Quest for sure, but any huge dose of wormer in a wormy horse is dangerous no matter WHAT drug you use. The last thing you need is to induce a massive die-off all at once, which could cause a bad colic.

If it were my horse, I'd start with ivermectin dosed by weight, then go to a double dose of Strongid (which would ideally get at least some of the tapeworms), then a 5-day double dose of fenbendazole, then circle back around to Equimax (ivermectin + praziquantel). I would ask my vet about timing.

If I were dealing with a known wormy horse, I wouldn't touch Quest with a ten foot pole. That is some STRONG stuff, very broad spectrum and very effective. I wouldn't hesitate to use Quest on a healthy horse who'd been in a solid worming rotation for a year or more, but there is NO WAY I'd throw Quest into a wormy horse.

Posting Trot
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:12 PM
If the horse's problem is encysted strongyles, then worming with strongid and then a single dose of panacur would do nothing.

The only de wormers that target encysted strongyles are Quest (moxidectin) and the 5 consecutive days of double dose fenbendazole (aka Powerpack).

JB
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks, I will read that thread. I can never seem to get the COTH search engine to work for me. Always says that it cannot find any threads with that content. Thanks for the info.
Make sure you're choosing "search entire post" instead of "search subject" or whatever the 2 choices are - very often the subject is "deworming" or similar, when you're looking for "power pack".

Another question. Would a dose of Safe-Guard be equivalent to a dose of Panacur? Why is it necessary to do 5 days in a row? Will one dose of the fenbendazole not wipe out enough of the worm load?
Panacur is fenbendazole. Safeguard is fenbendazole. So yes, a dose of either is the same thing.

Why is it necessary to d a 5-day double dose of fenbendazole? Because that's what kills encysted strongyles ;) Same reason you have to use ivermectin or moxidectin to kill bots - nothing else does; same as using praziquantel or dd of pyrantel pamoate to get tapeworms - nothing else does :)

Fenbendazole (ie Safeguard, panacur) and pyrantel pamoate (such as Strongid paste) have such a high resistance issue over such a large part of the world that it's, well, you see where that's going ;)

If you read the worming threads, you'll discover that you can actually "powerpac" with any brand of fenbendazole, even the liquids made for other livestock, because the %fenbendazole in the suspension is the same, so you just weigh your horse and give double the recommended dose for 5 days in a row to acheive the larvicidal dose.
It's not necessarily the same just because it's fenbendazole. You can find higher and lower concentrations of fen other than the horse-standard of 10%. But IF you find it at 10% fenbendazole, then whether it's liquid or paste, the dosing it is the same - 4.6mL or cc (liquid or paste) per 100lb of body weight, 5 days in a row. That's the double-dose, the therapeutic dose. A single dose is 2.3mL or cc.

Absolutely not the same thing ;) See above, I think you'll find your answers in there :)