PDA

View Full Version : Pelhams with cheeks < 4"... do they exist?

bays not grays
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:51 PM
I'm looking for a size 5.5 Tom Thumb pelham, the shorter the cheeks the better! The shortest I've been able to find is 4"--is it possible to get shorter cheeks without going custom? I'd prefer a rubber mullen mouth if possible, but I can be flexible. Thanks!

fourmares
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:28 AM
Much shorter check peices and it's basically a snaffle... or a kimberwick.

bays not grays
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:53 AM
I realize that with shorter cheek pieces it would have the same action as a kimberwicke, but I don't like the look of kimberwickes so I'd much rather find a short shanked pelham.

superpony123
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
it sounds like what you want would have to go custom--the pelham youre looking for, in my head, i visualize as almost a mini gag-looking type of thing, because there would be no space between the curb ring and the snaffle ring. (not to say it would act like a gag, but i mean it would kind of look like a mini one) and that might look a little funny..

findeight
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:18 PM
Shorter then 4" is not going to give you enough room for the rings and the two reins.

I suppose you could order a custom but...you have, probably, 1" of snaffle rein width and 1/2" for the thinner curb rein. Each of those buckles to a ring that has to be bigger then the rein is wide for it to work properly. Don't forget a smaller ring at the top for the bridle sidepiece to attach.

Just don't think the math works for less then about 4" to fit both rein rings on the shank and get it on the bridle. And...why go to a curb at all if you don't want/need additional leverage? There are quite a few snaffles with lift, like a Mylar Comfort Snaffle-might work better then trying to deleverage a leverage bit.

Peggy
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:30 PM
The only think I can think of that might come close is a butterfly bit (http://www.horsebitbank.com/sprenger-duo-bits-22.dhtml?manufacturer_id=4) (scroll down). But I don't know what it measures. And it might be classed as non-conventional in hunter-eq land, if that is your planned use. And if it's not, what about a two-ring bit (not as far down on the same linked page)?

Alterrain
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:52 PM
I have a Sprenger pelham that I think is about 3" shank. I don't have it in front of me to measure, but it def. was not custom! Although quite expensive :)

I also have a Pessoa pelham with the built in rubber port and those shanks are SUPER short also. Again, not cheap...

Hope this helps!

lauriep
Sep. 7, 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm looking for a size 5.5 Tom Thumb pelham, the shorter the cheeks the better! The shortest I've been able to find is 4"--is it possible to get shorter cheeks without going custom? I'd prefer a rubber mullen mouth if possible, but I can be flexible. Thanks!

Why do you want cheeks any shorter?

bays not grays
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:21 PM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, especially Alterrain--I'm happy to hear that it is possible to find one even if it is quite $$. Obviously, I'd rather go cheaper, but my biggest concern with going custom was the wait, not the money.

I want shorter cheeks because my horse is usually a snaffle kinda guy. However, he is young and brisk, windy show days (like I'm sure to see this fall) require a stronger bit. He doesn't like more severe mouthpieces (slow twists, corkscrews, etc.) and prefers a mullen mouth (I usually use a mullen Happy Mouth dee), so I feel like a little leverage is my best bet. I've tried pelhams with standard cheeks, but they are a little too much and he has a very fine head anyways so the less "bling" I can have around his face the better. I tried a kimberwicke and it seemed to work well but conventional is the name of the game, so I don't want to do a kimberwicke, Mylars with hooks, etc. I realize that the perfect bit may not exist and if not, that's fine. I can just use the pelham I already have. However, if it never hurts to ask if it does exist :)

Plumcreek
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:31 PM
I modified a regular 4" pelham to have the effect you describe; soft feel but with emergency brake included. I just replaced the curb chain with a thin western leather curb strap (actually I hate english curb chain hooks, and there is enough room on the bridle hanger for the leather strap). The leather had a softer feel, yet I could apply curb leverage if needed. My horse did A Circuit shows with this - no one noticed or cared.

Another bridle I am currently using has a western leather curb strap with a short chain center, and I have the chain part wrapped with a piece of elastikon bandage.

goeslikestink
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:07 AM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions, especially Alterrain--I'm happy to hear that it is possible to find one even if it is quite $$. Obviously, I'd rather go cheaper, but my biggest concern with going custom was the wait, not the money.

I want shorter cheeks because my horse is usually a snaffle kinda guy. However, he is young and brisk, windy show days (like I'm sure to see this fall) require a stronger bit. He doesn't like more severe mouthpieces (slow twists, corkscrews, etc.) and prefers a mullen mouth (I usually use a mullen Happy Mouth dee), so I feel like a little leverage is my best bet. I've tried pelhams with standard cheeks, but they are a little too much and he has a very fine head anyways so the less "bling" I can have around his face the better. I tried a kimberwicke and it seemed to work well but conventional is the name of the game, so I don't want to do a kimberwicke, Mylars with hooks, etc. I realize that the perfect bit may not exist and if not, that's fine. I can just use the pelham I already have. However, if it never hurts to ask if it does exist :)

you will want a volcanite kimbewick as they are a tad stronger than a snaffle but not as strong as a pelham or gag

Words of Wisdom
Sep. 8, 2009, 01:08 PM
If your horse usually goes happily in a snaffle, I would try a mullen vulcanite either dee or full cheek, or even a hollow snaffle of some sort. I also have a horse who will not tolerate a severe mouthpiece, and who really prefers something either plastic or rubber in his mouth, but who ended up being very happy in a hollow loose ring snaffle.