PDA

View Full Version : Need help w/good racing music for freestyle

cyriz's mom
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:15 PM
Sea Accounts has qualified to do 3rd level dressage musical freestyles and I'm looking for TB racing music/songs to use for it. I think it would be a neat tribute to all the OTTBs out there.

So far I have Run for the Roses, My Old Kentucky Home, Call to the Post, Kentucky Song, musics from The Black Stallion movies and TV show.

He's a KY bred, ran in KY, AR and NY and his sire, Sea Hero, won the KY Derby in 1993.

Appreciate any help. I've enlisted the Dressage forum help as well.

Larksmom
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:40 PM
Of course the Black Stallion, but see if you can find the sound track of Champions, and of course the music from man From Snowy River is the best.:yes:

MadeYaLook
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:46 PM
What about soundtrack from "Seabiscuit"?

ccpp
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:13 AM
Run For The Roses by Dan Fogelberg is beautiful. That's the tune I would use!

KBEquine
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:48 AM
If your thoroughbred has raced, you might want to stay away from the Call To Post . . .

Many remember & react to it, late into their teens - I remember going to a show with my non-TB gelding & my two friends, with OTTBs. The show was held at a site which had both a track & a starting gate. Even the 18 y.o. gelding who'd had maybe 5 starts as a 2 & 3 y.o. & had shown NO desire to race was a handful that show!

I also remember my husband showing a friend's mare in-hand at Maryland State Fair - she was a couple years off the track; her yearling daughter was also showing. And during the fair, there's racing at Timonium. Neither the flags, the blaring sounds from the carnival, nor the ferris wheel nor screams from the folks enjoying the rides on the Midway affected this mare.

But when she was in the ring being judged & heard the Call To Post . . . well, she was pretty sure she needed to find the starting gate NOW!

cyriz's mom
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:54 AM
Interesting point, KB!

We'll definitely have to experiment with that as he raced at 2 and 3.

Funny story, many years ago, I had another OTTB (from the same breeder!). I took him to hang out at a horse trials for his first big adventure. We were in a huge field trotting around quietly when the bell rung to signal the next rider in one of the dressage rings. He took off! I stopped him in a few strides, but his heart was POUNDING! The rest of the ride, he had this very confused way about him....trying to figure out the "racing" he was seeing. One horse in a little arena all by itself and not going very fast and going in little circles. Just about blew his little mind!

lesson junkie
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:24 AM
The music from "National Velvet" just sounds like happy, galloping horses.

Cyriz'z mom-I had that exact same thing happen with an OTTB-I had a hard time getting mine stopped!

vineyridge
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:13 AM
"Maryland, my Maryland" for the Preakness and "New York, New York" for the Belmont. If you could find good arrangements, "Slewbald was a race horse"; and "Camptown Races". I'd start with something that is very clearly racing and then segue into the others.