PDA

View Full Version : Type of Girth for Hunters

Green Acres
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:16 PM
What kind of girth do you show in? Also, what type of shows do you compete in ie: A's, schooing, etc.

I currently use a fuzzy (washable :yes:) girth but not so sure I like the look of it at shows. I was trying to make a poll but failed miserably!!!

hj0519
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:33 PM
Fuzzy leather girth. Schooling shows to A's.

callmegold
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:35 PM
Whatever level show I'm at, or a clinic for that matter I use a plain (no fuzzy) leather girth.

Wizard of Oz's
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:40 PM
I use the fuzzy washable ones for schooling and schooling shows, and a not fuzzy leather one for shows, except for schooling shows. I do it because in the GM column in PH he said once that the fleece attracts attention to the girth area, so it's more noticeable if your leg isn't perfect. Also, it's just distracting from all of the other leather tack.

vxf111
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:51 PM
School at home in a fleece/elastic washable girth....

But ALWAYS show in plain leather... no matter WHAT the level of showing...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Gloucester%20County%20Gold%20Clover%20Dressage%20S ept%206%202009/?action=view&current=hohum.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/Ludwigs%20Corner%20Sept%201%202007/?action=view&current=LCRedRibbonPose.jpg

make x it x so
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:02 PM
I have an uber-sensitive tb. We school at home in a fleecy washable girth, and we show in a leather girth with a detachable washable fuzzy for shows because he gets rubs really easily. I prefer the look of plain leather, but what I really prefer is a happy, healthy horse!

I show at local B/C shows and then some A rateds throughout the year (not too many multi-day shows because there are so many one days around here it's not worth the money to stay over at the bigger shows.

spmoonie
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:24 PM
I school and show in a plain leather girth (no fleece). I do local rated shows (C/B's).

JenEM
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:47 PM
Leather for shows.

At home, depending on season/sweat/fuzziness, either a cheap fleece or one of the ProChoice neoprene girths. I don't think leather would bother my horse every day, it's just easier to clean the neoprene!

superpony123
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:04 AM
I would love to have a leather fuzzy girth, but a) they're super expensive and b) i have NO idea how i'd clean the sheepskin part. i don't think they come off? i have to clean my fuzzy girth every week cause it gets so icky with sweat and hair and occasionally dirt so i guess a fuzzy leather girth would not be ideal for my pony.

anyway, i do schooling shows all the way through the AA's with a synthetic fuzzy girth. i tried a regular leather girth once, but it gave my pony a girth sore after about 2 rides :( i see all types of girths at the A's. personally as long as the color isn't in huge contrast with your saddle, i don't think the judge cares or will notice.

make x it x so
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:08 AM
I would love to have a leather fuzzy girth, but a) they're super expensive and b) i have NO idea how i'd clean the sheepskin part. i don't think they come off? i have to clean my fuzzy girth every week cause it gets so icky with sweat and hair and occasionally dirt so i guess a fuzzy leather girth would not be ideal for my pony.

anyway, i do schooling shows all the way through the AA's with a synthetic fuzzy girth. i tried a regular leather girth once, but it gave my pony a girth sore after about 2 rides :( i see all types of girths at the A's. personally as long as the color isn't in huge contrast with your saddle, i don't think the judge cares or will notice.

I have a detachable (velcro) sheepskin leather girth. It's Perri's brand and I think it was about $80. Really not a bad price considering how much they CAN go for. It's held up well to a lot of riding/sweating/washing, and I don't think anyone can tell that it's not one of the more expensive brands.

beckidan
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:12 AM
Always leather in shows. Preferably leather overlay with fancy stitching.

Green Acres
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:01 AM
I use the fuzzy washable ones for schooling and schooling shows, and a not fuzzy leather one for shows, except for schooling shows. I do it because in the GM column in PH he said once that the fleece attracts attention to the girth area, so it's more noticeable if your leg isn't perfect. Also, it's just distracting from all of the other leather tack.

I think GM is right!!! I purchased a picture from a show in August and thought my leg doesn't look too bad. But the more I look at the picture, the more I realized my leg slid back a little, I'm pinching with my knee and all I see is white fuzzy girth. ICK!!!!

Ugh, now time to shop for a new girth and I have a show in two weeks!!!! Oh, and limited budget.

Ainsley688
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:17 AM
Plain leather girth for me. :) Tiger Lily likes it, and I like the looks of it, haha. But, if she didn't like a plain leather one, I would have whichever makes her the happiest.

sansibar
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:54 AM
I have used the professional choice ones, a plain leather one, a fleece fuzzy one and a fluffy leather one, never have the judges cared :)

Dakotawyatt
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:28 PM
I too school in a fuzzy girth at home, but also switched over to leather after reading GM in PH moaning about them. It does make for a nicer picture, I think.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/Dakotawyatt/CIMG0230-1.jpg

Closeup of the girth; it's one of the anatomical ones from Dover. I think Toulouse and Pessoa also make one. I like the way it locks my saddle in.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:39 PM
Used to use a fleece cover for my pony because he was very plain looking and it caught your eye a bit, but everything else I've ever shown has been regular leather.

MHM
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:56 PM
Even though I have pretty traditional taste for turn-out, I do think the fuzzy girths are more comfortable for the horses, so I use them at home and at shows.

They have become so much more common in the last 20 years I don't think they raise many eyebrows. If I found a dark colored fuzzy one, I would use that for shows, since it would be pretty hard to spot.

WorthTheWait95
Sep. 7, 2009, 05:46 PM
I always use a plain leather girth. If fitted correctly I think they are just as comfortable to the horse as a fuzzy girth. My one guy did get rubs from them that went away when I upgraded him to an anatomical leather girth (curvy to allow more room for movement). Of course all of mine are WB's or QH's so I don't have to deal with the tissue thin, super delicate TB skin.

MountainGirl7
Sep. 7, 2009, 06:09 PM
I am a traditionalist and use a very soft, correctly-fitting (Stubben) leather girth. Some horses, however, have such sensitive skin that they really do need fleece on their girths. In that case I would say go for it, just make certain that you wash and brush the fleece so it looks sparkly clean for the show. Real sheepskin holds up so much better than faux and really does look nicer too.

Blue Bunny
Sep. 7, 2009, 06:20 PM
I use a synthetic fuzzy girth to show in. I love the elastic on both ends and my horse is comfortable.;)

Lucassb
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:55 PM
For schooling at home, I like the washable synthetic fuzzy girths. I have a couple so I always have a clean one to use, even if I don't do horsey laundry daily ;)

For shows, I use a very soft Del Garda plain leather girth with fancy stitching. The leather is wonderful... I wish Beval hadn't discontinued that line.

pattnic
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:36 PM
I use leather girths (usually anatomic) girths at shows (it looks traditional and is non-distracting), no matter what level I am showing, and synthetic girths (Roma-Gel, SoftTouch, etc) when schooling (I like being able to just hose off my sweaty, dirty girths after I'm done with them each day).

tBHj
Sep. 7, 2009, 10:44 PM
Shaped double end elastic leather girth, always. I used to school in washable fleece girths but they hold too much bacteria and only come so clean. I feel safer riding in a leather girth too. The elastic doesn't seem to hold up too well on the fleece girths.