PDA

View Full Version : Jumping videos, critique? 3rd video added post #19

tidy rabbit
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:00 PM
Here are a couple of videos from today's rides. Please let me know what you think. Thanks! Sorry no helmet cam today, I forgot to put it on!

We're still laid off the horse showing until next year because of contstruction projects at home. This is the first course work either me or the horses have done since the end of April. We've been doing dressage and single fences or gymnastics.

The first one is my 4 y.o Oldenburg Commander Aero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ckSUiKwMY

Added the first trip of the day too... this is the same link as in post #19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ZgGRmnoNw

This next one is my 12 y.o TB gelding Havoline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLbHpFEzTD0

bhrunner06
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:34 PM
aero is awful! you MUST send him to me right away!

Havoline and Aero both look GREAT!

tidy rabbit
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks BH....

I wish I could bring Aero up to the GM clinic! :( Seeing how he's got his new Edgewood Oversided Oversized bridle and he really wants to get out in public someplace. Ahhh heck, I wish I could bring both of them up there for GM.

Wizard of Oz's
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:50 PM
Wow you guys all look great! It's obvious that your dressage work has paid off, something I definately need to do more of lol. Your 4-yr-old is very impressive! I love that brush jump at the end of the arena, did you use a tree for that?

bhrunner06
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:30 PM
still have 2 spots open! come join!!! :)

tidy rabbit
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:37 PM
Wow you guys all look great! It's obvious that your dressage work has paid off, something I definately need to do more of lol. Your 4-yr-old is very impressive! I love that brush jump at the end of the arena, did you use a tree for that?

It's a brush box and we filled it full of pine branches. It's funny about that brush box, Aero jumped it right off the first approach where Havoline stopped the first time. Funny how different their brains are! Gotta love a good brain on a 4 y.o!

PNWjumper
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:05 PM
They both look great, TR! I will take Aero, please. Just send him to me via whichever shipping company you prefer (FedEx, UPS, or USPS). The check is in the mail. I promise :winkgrin:

Now I want to see a video of Dodger jumping the course!

tidy rabbit
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:10 PM
Now I want to see a video of Dodger jumping the course!

You'll be pleased to know that Dodger is well on his way to getting ready for his horse show debut with YOU at KHP next summer! Today he did his first line, a tiny vertical to a tiny X, ahhhh so cute. He's super thoughtful and very very easy. I think he's going to make Aero look difficult if you can imagine that?

Burgie
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:15 PM
The first one is my 4 y.o Oldenburg Commander Aero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ckSUiKwMY

Want.

hideyourheart03
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:56 PM
Ummm Aero is just begging to be a fancy-schmancy Eq horse. For real. It looks like his calling.

Seven-up
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:55 AM
Aero looks so comfortable to sit on.:)

Oh, and I sure wouldn't kick Havoline out of my barn either.

EquitationRider
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:18 AM
They both look great! For Aero, I would be doing a lot of turn on the haunches and leg yeilding to teach him to get off your leg. I would also be making sure that he is very straight on the flat, this will help him with his lead changes. It looks like you have done very well with this becuase he seems to have figured out his lead changes for the most part. In my opinion, just keeping him straight and balenced is the most important thing. I was amazed at how calm he looked for a 4 year old! He looks like he will be a great horse someday. Keep up the good work!

Hauwse
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:08 PM
I do not know what discipline you are training your pony's for, so that may make some of my comments less than relevant.

What I see is a bit of a defensive ride, not defensive as in I am scared but as in you are riding a much bigger course and you need to find perfect spots and control pace and impulsion immediately after each fence.

For both your horses, jumping the course they jumped, I would like to have seen a much more relaxed forward ride. It appeared to me there was a lot of spot selection and as a result, more so on the TB, the horse is getting more elevated than need be, and once you find the spot you are kinda saying go and getting a little strung out before your fences, specifically more speed then impulsion before the fence, resulting in your fences looking rushed, forcing you to play catch up over the fence which is causing you to have to take back way more than you should have to after the fences which is making you close up way faster over the fence than you should, and ultimately taking away a little bit from your horses jump.

I would suggest just riding them in front of your leg and balanced, softening up your hands
and letting them flow into you. Just like that feeling you get when your horse is well balanced at the canter, and each movement feels seamless, you should feel pretty much the same before over and after a fence. Your ride, will of course get more specific the higher the fences go, but up to 4'3" or so, on a horse that is not lacking the scope, you should be able to ride a course much as described without having to worry much about adjustments in pace and impulsion etc.

Just my one cent.

KateKat
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:48 PM
once again, Aero looks horrible and unhappy. He really needs to come to CA to be with me ;)

tidy rabbit
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hauwse, your one cent is always much appreciated. :)

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll keep your suggestions in mind next time I jump them.

Dakotawyatt
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:08 PM
I do very much enjoy your videos! TR, your position is just lovely. Both boys just look amazing. Aero really looks like he's coming along nicely. I almost do agree to an extent about him, I'd love to see your eq course that you just did flow more like the hunter course you posted eons ago. I can appreciate what you're doing, though, with keeping him well in hand and making sure he's always on his back end and not getting strung out, which is certainly important for a 4 year old. As for Havoline, you just do what you do on him; I'll probably never jump any of mine as big as you and he do, so just keep on keeping on!:winkgrin:

Jo
Sep. 7, 2009, 05:39 PM
Since everyone wants Aero, I'll suck it up and take Havoline. ;)

TBROCKS
Sep. 7, 2009, 06:03 PM
Tidy Rabbit, watching your videos was absolutely enjoyable!

tidy rabbit
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:27 PM
I've added a second video of Aero from yesterday. This was our first trip through the whole course and at the end the brush box scared him a little bit on the landing side so he sort of scoots and then I let him kind of fall into his halt. :( But I think this trip flows a lot better then the second trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ZgGRmnoNw

Mac123
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:45 PM
Aero is sure growing up!

I would like to see both of them a bit looser through their backs and reaching through more. I don't mind seeing a horse at Havoline's level in a more advanced frame, but he looks to me like he is not maintaining the softness through the back and neck I would want to see in a more "put together" frame. I guess what I am trying to say is that you are mechanically producing your ride on him, it's a bit over controlled. You are putting him together rather than bringing him together. So with him I would work on getting him looser and more relaxed and then riding him into a softer hand, using your body more to half halt and get him balanced. Once you get that back softened and canter more uphill, you won't have to place him so much at the fences but be able to ride forward softly to it. But is he the one with kissing spines? That could be a lot of it.

With Aero, similarly, I would work on getting him reaching through more in his back. He looks soft longitudenally but not as soft to you laterally as he could be. I would do yielding exercises to get him soft off the leg before I would put him together quite so much. Personally, I like to do most of the jumping with young horses off circles because it helps soften them laterally and keep them loose. There's a brief clip of walk before the canter transition and from that I would work on getting him more forward and through and loose through the walk; that will help the transition and thus the canter. Lovely jump, and really beautiful boy!!

Have you thought about going up a hole with your stirrups for jumping?

LudgerFan
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:19 AM
I would second mac's and hauwse's advice and say soften up a bit with the hand and let them flow. Not that I'm saying that you are "handsy" at all, it just appears that Aero in particular is pretty soft in the mouth and therefore easier to stifle. With Aero, you can hear on the video that when you get too active with the hand and ask him to "come together" (collect) more, his canter starts to four-beat and he loses the purity of the gait...some people might not even think to be concerned about this, but for me the alarm bells start ringing!!!! It means that his "collection" is not really collection but a shortening and is therefore destructive...it indicates a LOSS of impulsion rather than an increase as you would want to see. You are losing his back. Remember that he is a four-year-old, and a big one at that....he looks very capable and tremendously good-minded, and you have to be especially careful not to ask too much of them at this age than they are physically capable of giving, even though they are so willing to try. The way I would personally deal with this issue is to remember that one CANNOT improve the carriage of the canter by cantering, but ONLY with quality transitions, particularly upward transitions. When you get a quality upward transition, what naturally immediately follows is a quality canter, but then they can only maintain it themselves for so long at this age, and then you start having to "meddle" with hand and leg and seat (actually should be leg, seat, then hand, in that order) to help them maintain it...this is when you'd want to add a quality DOWNWARD transition. A few steps of relaxed walk, then again a quality canter depart. The point being, you want HIM to maintain the desired carriage at the canter, you do not want to shorten him with your hand. The mantra I repeat to myself ad nauseum: "The leg energizes, the seat modifies, the hand verifies." The problem I see with your canter departs is that his walk is also starting to very slightly lateralize as you ask for the walk-canter depart, and the moment you ask for the canter depart, he counterbends slightly and falls a bit onto his inside shoulder. As I said, it is SLIGHT, you are doing a good job! Always listen (I cannot emphasize this too much!) for that tendency to lateralize at the walk and canter, and if you hear it, soften the hand (without throwing away the contact), bring the shoulder back, deepen the seat, and send them forward! What you would want to try in this instance is to keep him on the circle for his canter work at first (it's easier to ride them forward on a circle as the bend helps keep them soft), and as you prepare him for the walk-canter depart, think about pushing him out with your inside leg, keeping his walk forward and pure but IN the contact. You want to feel him in that outside rein, but IF when you add a little outside rein in preparation for the canter depart he immediately stiffens that outside hind and pops that inside shoulder, you have to really work on correcting that before you can have good walk-canter transitions and therefore a quality uphill, balanced canter (or even a decent half-halt, for that matter!) This is where walk-trot-walk transitions on the circle are very helpful. You have the opportunity to "prime" that outside hind (so necessary in the canter depart as it initiates the first step of canter) in the downward transitions (keeping him off the inside leg and "in" the outside rein) by asking it to step further under the body and bear more weight in the transition just as it would in the canter depart and half-halt. When you get soft, prompt, uphill walk-trot-walk transitions with him really respecting your inside leg and with you really feeling that outside rein-outside hind connection (when you increase the outside rein you should immediately feel a compression of the outside hind and an increase of engagement and therefore impulsion), the good canter depart comes naturally, and therefore the desired carriage at the canter without overuse of the hand. Then you can start playing with transitions WITHIN the gait, with the goal for a jumper always to be able to ride them forward and then back and then forward again while maintaining softness and alignment, always working over the back and reaching for the contact. Think not so much about reducing the horse into collection, but rather riding a good round (and by round I of course mean round through the back, not just the neck) transition and then riding that good round canter FORWARD and keeping him soft and through. When he loses it, downward transition, and then try again. It's simple gymnastic flatwork, with the emphasis on his physical DEVELOPMENT. Sounds easy...but as we know, not so much...

A side note: try sitting deeper and with the shoulder further back for the canter depart, and do NOT let him tip your shoulder as he "jumps up" in the transition. Right now it's happening because he hollows his back a bit as he jumps up, which causes you to tip forward as you fall into the little hollow he creates right behind the wither. He's contracting his topline in the canter depart instead of his underline, or core. Really engage YOUR core musculature and remain vertical, having the feeling of being able to lift his wither with the muscles in your bellybutton region. You might also find it helpful if you carry a dressage whip for your flatwork to switch it to your outside hand for the canter departs, giving him a couple small reminder taps just before aiding. Helps them makes the mind-body connection!

I realize that was rather long-winded. I hope you find something helpful in all that! It was also written in hopes that any other readers besides yourself might find some value in it. Best wishes!

tidy rabbit
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:42 AM
LudgerFan
You write just what the dressage trainer I'm riding with has me working on with him. It's like you took the words right from her mouth. :-)

LudgerFan
Sep. 9, 2009, 11:06 AM
Excellent! You're in good hands ;)