PDA

View Full Version : Canter Horse Question - for those who have looked at or bought one in the past

Keep1Belle
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:51 AM
Im going to look at a canterhorse tomorrow. From your previous experience dealing with track owners:

Would it be ok for me to pay for the horse and arrange pick-up later or should I take the trailer?

Will I be able to ride him? Or at least see him be ridden by the exercise riders?

Do the trainers mind if you get a vet check?

DLee
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:54 AM
I don't have an answer because I have pretty much gotten my CANTER horses mail order, from a photo, but I hope you find a great one!

AppJumpr08
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:44 AM
Would it be ok for me to pay for the horse and arrange pick-up later or should I take the trailer?

If you are serious about taking the horse home, and the trainer doesn't have plans to enter the horse in anymore races, take the trailer... typically trainers are happy to have the empty stall.

Will I be able to ride him? Or at least see him be ridden by the exercise riders?
No, you won't be able to ride him. If you ask the trainer when the horse is working, you might be able to see him ridden, but don't expect to have the trainer grab a rider and toss them up on the horse just so you can see it go. Typically all you get is watching the horse jog in hand in the barn area.

Do the trainers mind if you get a vet check?[/QUOTE]
Check with the trainer. Honestly if they are totally against having a vet check done, I might look for another horse. It depends on how in depth you want the check to be, but a basic check I wouldn't think would be a problem... I personally have never actually had a check done, but if I was going to I'd probably do something quite basic - flexions and call it good, but I tend to be ok with something turning into a pasture pet if that's what it can handle physically.

Good luck!

SleepyFox
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:18 AM
Oooh, how exciting! Have fun and I hope you find the right horse. :)

To answer your questions from a trainer's perspective....

Either take the trailer or offer to pay his expenses for the days you'll leave him at the track. Once the horse is sold, the owner will no longer be responsible for the dayrate and if the horse remains at the track, the trainer will have to foot the bill for his care out of his/her own pocket. Unless, of course, the horse is owned by the trainer. But, most of the time, the trainer is simply acting as agent on the owner's behalf.

If the horse is at the track or a major training center, you will not be able to ride and it is totally out of the trainer's hands. If you want to see him go under tack, ask the trainer ahead of time if it would be possible to watch him gallop or jog. Most likely, the trainer will be willing to hold that horse until after the break and send him out when you can see him go. However, remember, he's going to be going in a very different frame than what you're going to be wanting. And, if the horse isn't scheduled to go to the track on the day you will be visiting, the trainer may be hesitant to change things around.

A vet check generally isn't a problem and is well within your rights as a buyer. If it is a problem, I agree with AppJumper, and would see that as a red flag. However, remember that racehorse people are used to spending large sums of money on horses with no vetcheck whatsoever. If, for example, the owner recently claimed this horse for $15k (when you claim, you cannot vet) with the intention of racing him and investing considerable amounts of money to do so and is now selling him for $1k to someone who is wanting a low level dressage horse (just an example), they will likely find it amusing and a little bit ridiculous if you get too carried away with a vet check.

The vets are in the barns starting mid-morning. You can likely get a check done that day.

Tell us what happens!

Keep1Belle
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks! I will definitely let you guys know how it goes. Im uber excited. as I havent owned a horse since college. And am ready to have one of my own where owners cant dictate when it shows how its trained, sell it with out telling me, etc.

I will keep the horse at the barn I teach lessons at after work. So I get reduced board, but I also am pretty stable in income because of my full-toime job. This is my treat to myself for having to endure cubical nation 40 hours/week :)

I definitely plan on paying for the horse the day of, but wanted a few days before shipping, as it is a holiday weekend and want the normal barn help and BO there when delivered so that we are on the same page with his transition in relation to feed, turn-out, etc.

Im going to the track at 9am hopefully a vet will be there (again its the holiday) so that we can at least get a flexion test. the horse is 3 so hopefully he hasnt had too much wear and tear.

Did I mention that I am excited...will update once i get there. yay..totally stoked

MintHillFarm
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have been to the track to see CANTER horses twice in the last month. The CANTER people are wonderful and great to work with.

Both times I brought cash and the horse trailer. I asked to see the horses jog & once out of the stall, I picked up all their feet and looked for anything that jumped out at me. I did ask about any known issues including any soundness issues as well as cribbing. That is not a total deal breaker for me, but I wanted to know as much as I can. I was able to ask a vet about a hock on one horse I was considering. There are plenty of Vets around so if you have a question I would think you could ask one.

I ended up passing on the ones I saw at the track, but I did get one also listed with CANTER that I saw at the trainer's farm not far from the track...

Good luck!

Keep1Belle
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:59 PM
So I went to Charles Town today and bought a canter cutie. (copy the link below in the browser)

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=685:3-year-old-black-gelding&catid=49:charlestown-trainer-listings&Itemid=91&directory=91

This is his pedigree:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/no+halo3

He is pretty small, 15 hands or so. But I think he will be a good little horse, pretty excited to see him grow and fill out and come along with training.

FatDinah
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:17 PM
He has a cute, cute face.

Good luck with him!

MintHillFarm
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:08 AM
Good luck with your guy! He is very cute. Remember, good things come in small packages!

This is the one I got last week. The photo doesn't do him justice...

http://www.canterne.org/images-salehorses/JulieForsureNEW.jpg

DLee
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:23 AM
They are both great, congratulations! I'm a sucker for greys. :)