PDA

View Full Version : Braids or Hunter hair for little kids

hellerkm
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:37 AM
As we gear up to start showing I am wondering about Dd's hair ( of course people only worry about these things in hunter land). She has long hair, but it is super thin and looks awful in braids. Her hunter hair is well done ( by me) and neat and classic to a fault. Will a judge REALLY care if she is not wearing long braids with big bows??? Honestly the STRESS of trying to braid that thin hair and get the bows to stay in is almost worth skipping the horse show!! And I am not kidding! but if they will mark her down because of her traditional hunter hair I will make the attempt. An NO I will not get her hair extensions. She is 5 yrs old.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:32 AM
Braids are by no means a requirement. I find it distracting when a little kid has 2 ft of braided hair + 3 ft of multi colored ribbons and bows flying around behind them. When I was little I had too much hair to put up so I had 2 braids with two small, discreet bows and this was just leadline. Hair was ALWAYS up once I started short stirrup.

MHM
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:12 AM
Most judges don't care if the hair is up or down.

Most judges HATE the hair/bow arrangements that cover the rider's number in any way.

Vandy
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:39 AM
Either way is fine. I have a bunch of little kids this season and I leave it up to the kids/parent which way they'd like to do their hair - and it's about 50/50 braids & bows vs. hunter hair. And if it's braids and bows they want, the moms get to do it themselves - not my forte! :lol: I don't think it makes a bit of difference to a judge, so long as either style is done neatly and as MHM said, does not obscure the rider's number.

Mamy
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:40 AM
hummm... I get ya on the thin braids..(Heck at least your kid has hair!) If you pull it up in hunter hair, does it look like she is bald( As it would on my Lulu?) Of can you see her cute blond hair over her ears? if so, I'd do hunter hair. I sort of think thin braids are silly.... under a helmet anyway. (Love doing Lulu's haiur in them not in helmet though.)

hellerkm
Sep. 6, 2009, 01:42 PM
hummm... I get ya on the thin braids..(Heck at least your kid has hair!) If you pull it up in hunter hair, does it look like she is bald( As it would on my Lulu?) Of can you see her cute blond hair over her ears? if so, I'd do hunter hair. I sort of think thin braids are silly.... under a helmet anyway. (Love doing Lulu's haiur in them not in helmet though.)

Yes Sarah has enough hair that she gets the true "hunter hair" look with the hair over the ears. You know how thin Sarahs hair is and her braids look "scraggily" I think I will do the hunter hair!

Hunter Mom
Sep. 6, 2009, 02:29 PM
Yes Sarah has enough hair that she gets the true "hunter hair" look with the hair over the ears. You know how thin Sarahs hair is and her braids look "scraggily" I think I will do the hunter hair!

Another vote for hunter hair. DD has short hair, so braids aren't an option, and I am so not a fan of the huge bows anyhow. If the point is to try to make it look smooth, how do huge bows help that?

superpony123
Sep. 6, 2009, 02:55 PM
braids are NOT a requirement :) just very common. and i see plenty of little ones with hunter hair too. it looks a lot neater and less distracting. i HATE it when a kid is young but they're really tall/leggy and they have big floppy braids flying all over the place. it just looks silly !

go for the hunter hair :)

EAY
Sep. 6, 2009, 03:22 PM
I do hunter hair for my 6-year-old who has thin hair. She prefers it that way. I think she likes to look like the big girls. Plus she loves wearing a hair net.

TheOneandOnly
Sep. 6, 2009, 03:54 PM
Dito the hunter hair. Looks much nicer that way =]

ryansgirl
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hunter hair :yes:. I hate seeing those big bows that cover up the kids back - small ones I can deal with but those massive ones just don't fit - do the hunter hair. We always did when we were kids - I never had bows nor did my sisters :no:. :)

dauphine2
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:38 PM
Hunter hair. :yes:

Oh, and for those with kids whose's hair does get braided: please make sure that the bows would fit into a 3" x 3" box, tails/ends included! It looks much more professional - even if we are talking about little kids.

make x it x so
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:48 PM
I showed in braids twice when I was little. They were at unrated shows and I did the MiniMiniMini Pre Eq (whatever it was called- it was a walk trot and walk trot pole class lol!). When I moved up to the Beginners (twice around the outside crossrails class), I started hunter hair.

I think some people push the braids past when they are appropriate. I personally like them in leadline and MAYBE short stirrup, but I think short stirrup kids look good in hunter hair, too.

hellerkm
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:09 PM
Hunter hair it is, plus it takes WAY less time and DD won't be crying before the day even starts, she HATES braids!!!:winkgrin:

Seven-up
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:01 AM
Did someone really suggest you get your 5 year old extensions???:lol: That's wild.

I think if I had been showing at 5, I would have thrown a fit over having to wear braids and bows too. I probably would have cut all my hair off, like, "Now whatcha' gonna do? HAHA!":winkgrin:

JinxyFish313
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:48 PM
I wish all of you would tell the kids at Pony Finals that their hair should be up.

hellerkm
Sep. 7, 2009, 05:43 PM
Did someone really suggest you get your 5 year old extensions???:lol: That's wild.

I think if I had been showing at 5, I would have thrown a fit over having to wear braids and bows too. I probably would have cut all my hair off, like, "Now whatcha' gonna do? HAHA!":winkgrin:

ON teh "How to qualify for Devon" thread some one posted that they knew someone who had hair extensions done on their lead line kid LOL! Can you imagine???
I am going with hunter hair. Easier for me and easier on DD,and after I braid two ponies I won't want to braid the kid!

sarcam02
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hunter Hair! Love the fact that my dd swears by her hunter hair. She is the only kid in a sea of big floppy braids who has perfect hunter hair.

ponylover2008
Sep. 8, 2009, 01:13 PM
I love it when the trainers think that the ribbon and braids really matter...and they put the 5'6" kid in garters because they think that the judges will pin them better if they look like a young kid in braids and garters! :lol: Some even change into the garters for the small and medium ponies and then put on their tall boots on the larges....doesn't all that matters is that they have a good round???:confused:

hellerkm
Sep. 8, 2009, 02:13 PM
I love it when the trainers think that the ribbon and braids really matter...and they put the 5'6" kid in garters because they think that the judges will pin them better if they look like a young kid in braids and garters! :lol: Some even change into the garters for the small and medium ponies and then put on their tall boots on the larges....doesn't all that matters is that they have a good round???:confused:

that makes me NUTS!!! I like little kids in braids and bow ( we just don't have enough hair to do it well) but there is a point, like if your kids would NOT go to school like that then it should NOT be in the ring! Trust me my 12 yr old would NEVER want to wear braids she would rather be caught dead! I think the cut off is between 8 and 9 IMHO, of course that is just MHO!

Tini Sea Soldier
Sep. 8, 2009, 02:17 PM
Braids for ages 9 and under.
Hunter age for ages 10+.

Nothing worse than seeing 'tween with braids... or a 6-yr old in field boots.

So usually when kids moves on from jods.. it's a safe bet that they should upgrade to hunter hair, as well. If they're doing the ponies and need to stay in jods til age 12 or so, fine.. but at least bridge the gap with the hunter hair upgrade.

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 8, 2009, 02:56 PM
So does anyone think that a judge would use hunter hair/ braids and bows as a tie breaker in SS? This would be on a young kid, under 9 yrs.

MHM
Sep. 8, 2009, 03:05 PM
So does anyone think that a judge would use hunter hair/ braids and bows as a tie breaker in SS? This would be on a young kid, under 9 yrs.

NO!!!!

Judges don't care about the hair, unless it's messy or covers the number!:mad:

The kid, mom, grandparent, whatever, care about the kid's hair. Not the judge!

The judge has more important things to consider. Such as, you know, riding ability, performance, safety, minor things like that. :rolleyes:

hellerkm
Sep. 8, 2009, 03:20 PM

I don't think hair has anything to do with anything except general turnout. Many little kids wear braids, I did not want anyone to think we were being presumptuous by wearing hunter hair on a younger child, that is the only reason I asked this question.
Juding on overall turnout is acceptable , and that includes the usual. Proper attire, clean white saddle pad that fits, clean tack that is properly fitted and USED, clean pony with neat braids. The most important factors should still be the RIDE then the turnout should be considered as a factor.

That leads to this question:
If a SS kid laid down and AWESOME trip on and unbraided pony with poorly fitting attire and a semi clean pony how would you place them?

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:18 PM
Any judges want to chime in? Two kids, under 9 yrs, one in hunter hair, one in braides, equal trips. Which one takes it? Do judges think that hunter hair is presumptuous?

JinxyFish313
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:23 PM
Trips are never equal. There's always something that makes one more appealing than the other, even if its only a little bit.

I'd look at suitability and the pony's way of going before I considered their hair for sure.

MHM
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
Any judges want to chime in? Two kids, under 9 yrs, one in hunter hair, one in braides, equal trips. Which one takes it? Do judges think that hunter hair is presumptuous?

I already chimed in.

I don't care about the hair.

(Unless it covers the number.)

I have better criteria to use to pin the class.

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:36 PM
Sorry HMH I was reading fast. Thanks for the info.

ExJumper
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:58 PM
That leads to this question:
If a SS kid laid down and AWESOME trip on and unbraided pony with poorly fitting attire and a semi clean pony how would you place them?

Second.

If the pony were clean, then it would be a harder decision.

candycloud
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:55 PM
I like hunter hair...even though I sometimes wore braids when I was little. I think it's cute to see a little rider look all professional with the hunter hair :D Also, braids can look kind of obnoxious and distracting when they're huge and brightly colored.

6-year-old me with hunter hair: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v333/161/0/504413561/n504413561_849614_7269.jpg

ExJumper
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:59 PM
I like hunter hair...even though I sometimes wore braids when I was little. I think it's cute to see a little rider look all professional with the hunter hair :D Also, braids can look kind of obnoxious and distracting when they're huge and brightly colored.

6-year-old me with hunter hair: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v333/161/0/504413561/n504413561_849614_7269.jpg

If the date on that photo is accurate, you are only 12 right now! Still pretty "little" by many standards :) :)

But you expressed yourself well, spelled correctly, and didn't use text speak. AND I agree with you completely!

candycloud
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:10 PM
If the date on that photo is accurate, you are only 12 right now! Still pretty "little" by many standards :) :)

But you expressed yourself well, spelled correctly, and didn't use text speak. AND I agree with you completely!

I'm actually turning 14 in a month. Thank you anyway though :D:D

smay
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:18 PM
Well darn it, I actually LOVED braiding my daughter's hair and putting in smallish bows that matched her shirt and coat lining ...she was so dang CUTE! On her little white Welsh pony? OMG, it was too much. If I had a little 5 year old on a pony again I don't know if I could resist cuteness of braids and bows. BUT if your daughter hates being braided, I don't suppose you could Ace her, could you? haha J/K. I get such a kick out of the little tiny ones on ponies with their braids.... can't wait to have a grand kid. Still have the pony, just in case!

hellerkm
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:28 PM

OK that pic is ADORABLE!!! this is why I am not a judge, any kid trying their heart out on a cute pony is going to melt my soft heart!!
thanks for posting that!

hellerkm
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:31 PM
Well darn it, I actually LOVED braiding my daughter's hair and putting in smallish bows that matched her shirt and coat lining ...she was so dang CUTE! On her little white Welsh pony? OMG, it was too much. If I had a little 5 year old on a pony again I don't know if I could resist cuteness of braids and bows. BUT if your daughter hates being braided, I don't suppose you could Ace her, could you? haha J/K. I get such a kick out of the little tiny ones on ponies with their braids.... can't wait to have a grand kid. Still have the pony, just in case!

There is NO dening the cuteness factor! but my DD has long THIN hair and it makes for yucky looking braids plus a TON of tears! hang onto that pony and practice your braids I am sure your grandchild will look AWESOME:winkgrin: !!

Gry2Yng
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:52 PM

Can I adopt 6 year old you and your pony! Adorable.

My daughter is 2 and she can "feel" the brush coming a MILE away. "No, Mama" starts before I am even down the stairs. I empathize. She has thick curly hair. I will do what ever is easier for me. On board with the "I braid two ponies, don't want to braid the kid too." LOL!

ex-racer owner
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:38 PM
Thank you, Candycloud, for your use of proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It gives me hope for the future. :lol: