PDA

View Full Version : Wise COTH board, can you offer me some suggestions?

DeucesWild11
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:42 PM
So, I don't want this to sound like ANY sort of pity party or whatever, but it just seems like I don't know where to go/start. I started off riding with a mid level trainer (all my parents could see spending!) on the A's. I did the pony campaigning for a while until I needed a horse. I bought my horse green and put the miles into her up to the small juniors. Im in college now, and I recently sold her for college $$, as any normal broke college student would have to do. and I am desperate for horse stuff to do. My school DOES have an equestrian team, but it is (and I don't mean to sound like I am bragging, or snooty or whatever) not very much fun. The lessons are on horses that should be retired(as in lame, and all over 23 years of age) cost 40 bucks and are taught by one of the boarders at the farm, and the farm is an hour away.... And, as much as anyone can say hey, a lesson is a lesson, I spent all of last year doing nothing but walk/trot and cross rails. I have a really hard time paying for these lessons over using them to buy groceries. I've had some really great summer jobs/internships (even in the east coast!) managing barns and exercising racehorses at the track. However, next year I will be a senior and renting a house (leases start june 1st) so I can't exactly pack up and leave. Im majoring in business management (with hopes of trying to become a trainer someday). I'd like to try and advertise around here to give some kid lessons, but I am not really sure there is a market around here for that type of service. I know I can't afford the AA's or BNT lessons, but I would still like to get some experience SOMEHOW over the next two years. I had thought of getting a youngster/OTTB as a resale, but from what I am hearing the market is not favoring that kind of project right now. So, here I am asking for advice from the wise COTH board..... ideas? Suggestions anyone? Also, I don't mean for this to be one of those posts where people rant and rip apart the OP, really I am just looking for advice!

Sugarbrook
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:45 PM
It might be helpful to post what area you live in, or where you want to continue with the horse training.

DeucesWild11
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:49 PM
Oh! Sorry! I live in the midwest, in the Quadcities in Illinois, about 2 1/2 hours west of chicago. And, ha, I have high aspirations of myself. I have interests in "growing up" to be a BNT, and I also picked up experience in the breeding world this past summer, so I wouldn't mind doing something in that field, either.

Silk
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:36 AM
Find a working student position?? Find someone who has horses that need schooling/riding becasue they are too busy with career/school/etc ?

I would love to find someone small enough to ride my small...he is too much for most kids and I just struggle to find time. Too bad I am in Mass.

ReSomething
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:56 AM
If you are open to anything how about hooking up with a rescue? There has to be one that needs help in the area, with any luck you could put miles on unfit or undereducated adoptable horses, or possibly begin using your future degree in the office, fundraising and doing PR.

findeight
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:51 AM
Um....may not like it but I am going to say you need to get that school finished and not look for a WS position. #1 not a ton right around your area without a long drive and #2, you cannot offer them the kind of commitment time wise they need-not too many are part time.

taking on any kind of project, TB, OTTB, WB, Arab,Draftie, whatever right now when you have limited funds and time makes no sense. One surprise vet bill and you are screwed.

Wait. Ride somebody else's horses or just put that $40 in the bank.

Sometimes you just cannot do it and have to realize it's best for both not to try. I was out for 2 years right after I graduated college and starting a career and again for almost 8 years after a bad divorce and restarting life. Thank the Lord I did not have the responsibility for another living being during some of those times.

jn4jenny
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:07 AM
I had thought of getting a youngster/OTTB as a resale, but from what I am hearing the market is not favoring that kind of project right now. So, here I am asking for advice from the wise COTH board..... ideas? Suggestions anyone? Also, I don't mean for this to be one of those posts where people rant and rip apart the OP, really I am just looking for advice!

So find someone ELSE who's already been fool enough to buy the project horse, and offer to ride it for free. Or find somebody who's willing to trade lessons for free rides on their horse (which is a win-win for you--you'd get more teaching experience AND you'd probably get to ride a decent horse).

If you really luck out, you might find an even better deal. My senior year of college when I was about where you are in my riding life, someone offered me her made 3' packer to ride whenever I wanted. In fact, she's the person who first showed me COTH Forums. Applesauce, if you're reading this, I'm *still* grateful 5 years later!

Justice
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:09 PM
If you are a great rider, there will always be horses for you to ride. Pay for a lesson at the barn you want to ride at so that they can evaluate your skill, and tell them that you will ride and show ANYTHING for them. Just make sure you have good health insurance, and a good sense of humor.